American Prospect Update Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
There's an offer out to Daniyal Dzhaniyev for the remaining spot.

they loved him at the select 16 camp, he tore it up. his size is definitely concerning - since he takes 'undersized' to a whole new level - but his game reminds me of tyler johnson. won't wow you with crazy dangles or speed, but will pick you apart with his vision and smarts.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
The curious case of Stephen Halliday. I can’t think of many highly rated prospect to go USHL/ NCAA and maintain Canadian. It’s weird also because just today I saw one article say he was born in Toronto and his family moved to Maryland and another article say he was born in MD and moved to Toronto. So much confusion even from well respected writers.

Last edited:

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Also this Hlinka team is really surprising me. They’re playing way better than I would have thought and have way more talent than any US team in the past. To have an entire teams worth of top 01s unavailable (NTDPers) and still play well is impressive. Faraniacci, Toporowski, Silianoff, Mastrosimone and Kaliyev are some legitimate firepower.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Also this Hlinka team is really surprising me. They’re playing way better than I would have thought and have way more talent than any US team in the past. To have an entire teams worth of top 01s unavailable (NTDPers) and still play well is impressive. Faraniacci, Toporowski, Silianoff, Mastrosimone and Kaliyev are some legitimate firepower.

Mitchell Miller a stud on the backend and not eligible until 2020.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The curious case of Stephen Halliday. I can’t think of many highly rated prospect to go USHL/ NCAA and maintain Canadian. It’s weird also because just today I saw one article say he was born in Toronto and his family moved to Maryland and another article say he was born in MD and moved to Toronto. So much confusion even from well respected writers.
Not saying that they're right, but Eliteprospect has his hometown as Maryland even though they have him as a Canadian.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Most of these standouts named would, IMO, not only be perfectly at home playing with the USNTDP but would be absolute standouts many years. It’s just the ‘01 class is so filthy. There’s probably a bit of a misconception too (not here obviously but with the casual follower) that the USNTDP always gets all the best players in a class. Which of course A) isn’t true at the time of selection because kids playing high level high school, prep or juniors often for various reasons don’t go that route and B) is even less true as time goes on and players develop or stall at their own rates.

Still, this seems an abnormally loaded year when you compare the talent of ‘01s not on the USNTDP with the ‘00s who were on the U18 team last season.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Not saying that they're right, but Eliteprospect has his hometown as Maryland even though they have him as a Canadian.
Ryan Kennedy from THN says his plan is to play these 2 years with Centra Illinois and hen to UND. and he said that he only moved to Maryland when he was 11. But would go to TO to play hockey. I don’t know if his parents are American or Canadian though that could still factor in.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ryan Kennedy from THN says his plan is to play these 2 years with Centra Illinois and hen to UND. and he said that he only moved to Maryland when he was 11. But would go to TO to play hockey. I don’t know if his parents are American or Canadian though that could still factor in.
I think it entirely depends on what he feels like as far as what country he wants to be part of more, since it sounds like he's a dual citizen. We've seen it quite a lot in the past where players with full Canadian backgrounds choose the USNTDProgram.

If I was going to guess the future, it's whatever nation adds him to their national team first in an IIHF sanctioned event.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'm not sure if it's the coaching plan, but they really need to rein in Team USA's defenseman at the Hlinka. Miller, Reid and Webber are all chronically taking themselves out of position. Koster does it sometimes, but he's a good enough skater to usually get back in position. I've never seen a big, lumbering defenseman with no offensive ability wandering around the offensive zone more than Webber, which makes me think this is a coaching decision to just have them all aimlessly jump in the play.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
This Hlinka group was just robbed of a regulation win over Canada, and hopefully not the actual win. Time clearly expired before the puck went in. Some rinky dink tournament that plays in a state of the art NHL arena and cant use basic video review

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The ineptitude you saw on display tonight by the refs and tournament organizers is why the Hlinka will always be a second rate tournament. Let's not forget, they didn't just give Canada a goal after the buzzer, they also gifted them a PP that led to their first goal as well. Had the refs been competent, or had there been video review, the play would have never gone on after Robertson's first goal for so long and that penalty would have never occured.

The Hlinka is a great event for scouting, but the results don't mean much when it's organized like an 80s tournament.

Feel gutted for those kids. They constantly hear about how they're the B team, they're well aware most of them wouldn't have a chance at the team if the NTDP players were in play, but they came out and beat an incredibly deep and hyped Canadian team. And the refs and tournament organizers took it away from them.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Nicholas Robertson is going to be an exciting player to watch develop in the next year or so, especially if he hits a growth spurt. His older brothers are 6'2 (Jason) and 6'0 (Michael), so you'd hope he'll likely grow a couple of inches at least. If that happens, he could be a huge riser in the draft because he's got some dynamic offensive ability and he's a great skater as well unlike his brother.

John Farinacci is also really impressive. He's very similar to guys like Colin White and Luke Kunin. Looks like a first round pick to me and future heart and soul player of Team USA at the WJC.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
Nicholas Robertson is going to be an exciting player to watch develop in the next year or so, especially if he hits a growth spurt. His older brothers are 6'2 (Jason) and 6'0 (Michael), so you'd hope he'll likely grow a couple of inches at least. If that happens, he could be a huge riser in the draft because he's got some dynamic offensive ability and he's a great skater as well unlike his brother.

John Farinacci is also really impressive. He's very similar to guys like Colin White and Luke Kunin. Looks like a first round pick to me and future heart and soul player of Team USA at the WJC.
I loved Koster tonight too. First time I've seen him play. Thoughts on his game in general? Not just at this tourney.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I'm not sure if it's the coaching plan, but they really need to rein in Team USA's defenseman at the Hlinka. Miller, Reid and Webber are all chronically taking themselves out of position. Koster does it sometimes, but he's a good enough skater to usually get back in position. I've never seen a big, lumbering defenseman with no offensive ability wandering around the offensive zone more than Webber, which makes me think this is a coaching decision to just have them all aimlessly jump in the play.
I think the coaches did a tremendous job with the USA team. It felt like they just let the kids play, didn't hold them back from anything or implement a strict system. As a Canadian, I feel like the Canadian players are held back by the system, they're the top players in the country, dump and chase makes no sense when you have the most skill. But, that's why I think the Americans played great, you never saw them hesitate on a play, their legs we're always moving.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
If that’s the B team I am even more excited about the next few IIHF U20s tournaments. All the kids tonight were skating. And some have some hands and wicked smaat hockey sense.

The 2001s are just an incredibly deep group. In a typical NTDP year, guys like Kaliyev, Robertson, Farinacci, Mastrosimone, Miller, Koster, etc. would all have received offers. Kaliyev received an NTDP invite and turned it down, but I haven't heard of any of the other Hlinka players having received NTDP offers. To put it in perspective, Roberston, Silianoff, Miller, and Wolf didn't even receive invites to the NTDP evaluation camp.

Looking at the performance of the NTDP U17s last year, you'd be hard pressed to make arguments for many of these Hlinka guys even making the NTDP this year. That's not a slight on the top Hlinka guys as they would certainly belong and perform, but who would they replace? Typically an NTDP team has noticeable weak links, 3+ guys that are just out of their league and usually they're the ones that get demoted to the U17s in their U18 season. But right now, there's not any obvious weak links on the 2001 NTDP team.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think the coaches did a tremendous job with the USA team. It felt like they just let the kids play, didn't hold them back from anything or implement a strict system. As a Canadian, I feel like the Canadian players are held back by the system, they're the top players in the country, dump and chase makes no sense when you have the most skill. But, that's why I think the Americans played great, you never saw them hesitate on a play, their legs we're always moving.

I don't think the system hurt them tonight, but the defensemen seemingly having a green light without regard for defense is what cost them against Russia. That said, Webber was still ridiculous with his continual offensive zone pinches and getting caught deep for two reasons: he has no offensive ability and he's not fast enough to get back in the play. He's a defensive defenseman and he's good in his own zone, so it's odd to see how much in this tournament he's been guilty of playing like he's Quinn Hughes. I don't think that's him, I think that's a coaching decision.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I loved Koster tonight too. First time I've seen him play. Thoughts on his game in general? Not just at this tourney.

I like him a lot too. This is my first extended viewing of him, but he has a lot of exciting tools. He's a great skater and I think he's got a lot of untapped offensive ability. I think he's been the best Team USA d-man by a decent margin. I hope he spends the entire year in the USHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad