American Prospect Update Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The NTDP has never been in a a situation like this, but could the U17s at the championship rejoin the U17 team for the playoffs? adding back Hughes, Turcotte, Caufield, Knight and York would be an insane boost

Not sure if they can, but I hope they don't if it's possible. At this age, development should be the priority over winning, and the remaining U17 players have been gaining valuable developmental opportunities in the absence of their top players.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I wonder if they are waiting for the U17s playoff run to end before announcing next years roster. Last years announced on April 24th.

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Interesting post on the NHL Discussion forum and here is some of the data I looked up for active Canadian vs USA players on NHL rosters. I think the last 5 years have been the best for USA Hockey. Looking at this draft, and future draft, it looks good for the USA as well. Here is the data (per Quant Hockey):

1970:
Can 96.6%
USA 1.1%

1980:
Can 81.8%
USA 9.1%

1990:
Can 71.7%
USA 17.3%

2000:
Can 47.6%
USA 15.8%

2017-18:
Can 45.1%
USA 25.5%

I think Americans will make up 30% of the NHL within the next 5 years. Crazy to think of that with all the good European players and Canada still cranking out talent like usual.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/can-canada-maintain-45-50-of-the-nhl.2487651/

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
The enigma of Stephen Halliday continues. Born in the US, reported he's Canadian, then reported he's only American. Been playing youth hockey in Toronto, seemed on a sure fire path to the OHL. Doesn't even get an NTDP invite when multiple duals did, and apparently he is fully american. NTDP didnt invite him becuase they thought he'd go OHL (I'm assuming) then he falls in the OHL Draft out of the top round (apparently NCAA concerns), when he was a top ranked player. Then just got drafted first overall by Central Illinois in the USHL draft. I doubt they'd gamble like that unless they knew. just very confusing and back and forth

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
and also the NTDP only names 12 forwards, so they still need to add a 13th. Can they add someone who was just drafted by another team? Does that team get compensated? if not who do they add?

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Another wrinkle to the Stephen Halliday confusion...He played in the OHL Gold Cup, which is for evaluating U17 potential players for Team Canada. I'm just about certain he's a dual citizen.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Brave new world boys. Bordeleau speaks pretty good French for an American born in Houston.

Team USA advisory group consists of David Poile, Ray Shero, Stan Bowman and Dale Tallon.

The IIHF has a feature story and picture on that South Korean stalwart forward forward Michael Swift.

With the exception of the old commies Canadian hockey has seeded every other program world wide. Great Britain won a Gold medal in the Olympics for god sake.

I think I will reinvest my hockey time and follow local hockey and the NHL more closely.

Just sayin'

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Another wrinkle to the Stephen Halliday confusion...He played in the OHL Gold Cup, which is for evaluating U17 potential players for Team Canada. I'm just about certain he's a dual citizen.
very confusing overall...if he comes to the USHL now, then he likely represents the US...can't see him leaving the OHL and coming to the States to not play for the US if he gets invited to the Hlinka...or whatever other tournament..just totally odd situation here...

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
So a month ago we thought Halliday was an American who wanted to play in the OHL and now it appears he is a Canadian who wants to take the college route...:D

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
The enigma of Stephen Halliday continues. Born in the US, reported he's Canadian, then reported he's only American. Been playing youth hockey in Toronto, seemed on a sure fire path to the OHL. Doesn't even get an NTDP invite when multiple duals did, and apparently he is fully american. NTDP didnt invite him becuase they thought he'd go OHL (I'm assuming) then he falls in the OHL Draft out of the top round (apparently NCAA concerns), when he was a top ranked player. Then just got drafted first overall by Central Illinois in the USHL draft. I doubt they'd gamble like that unless they knew. just very confusing and back and forth

I thought it was a bit surprising too when I saw he was drafted last night. I have heard he is really a "dual citizen" from the DC area - who didn't get the NTDP invite, because it was assumed he was totally all about playing in the OHL.

Maybe Central Illinois knows something, to draft him #1 overall, but that program has always been a bit of mess. They were rumored to almost be going under the last few years when they were known as the Bloomington Thunder. They have new ownership this year (and a new name), but they still stink on the ice.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
and also the NTDP only names 12 forwards, so they still need to add a 13th. Can they add someone who was just drafted by another team? Does that team get compensated? if not who do they add?

Maybe NTDP can still add Robinson and Halliday because they only have 11 forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad