Confirmed with Link: Alyn McCauley named assistant GM, Riley Armstrong (director) & Nick Schultz (asst director) heads of player development

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The Flyers updated their front office roster on their website with the new promotions. All of the Senior Advisors are still there.
I can’t get excited about this. In many organizations people get/keep meaningless titles. You can’t expect Comcast to kick these guys to the curb with a disrespectful firing. Like Hilferty indicated, their input will be considered when requested. It just won’t be done in meaningful situations.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I can’t get excited about this. In many organizations people get/keep meaningless titles. You can’t expect Comcast to kick these guys to the curb with a disrespectful firing. Like Hilferty indicated, their input will be considered when requested. It just won’t be done in meaningful situations.
haha... keep on believing that..

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

This is too much faith in the team. Clarke had an absolute stink when he wasn't consulted prior to trades at a draft. He made it sound like Tortorella was his idea, too. His ego is too huge. He will make himself a problem if he isn't involved.

And Hilferty is relentless in his praise of the alumni and the 70s, and building like that. Who better to ask?

Last edited:

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
about the perception an optics.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

How many times does this organization have to kick you in the nuts before you put up your guard?

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
The Flyers know full well what the fans think of the old guard advisors. If they truly were removing them from power, they would do so loudly and clearly. The Flyers incestuous failures of the past 50 years is a meme even with the mainstream fan, not just in circles like here.

Point blank, they haven't been removed from power. There's zero actual evidence of that being the case and the silence speaks loudly

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Flyers know full well what the fans think of the old guard advisors. If they truly were removing them from power, they would do so loudly and clearly. The Flyers incestuous failures of the past 50 years is a meme even with the mainstream fan, not just in circles like here.

Point blank, they haven't been removed from power. There's zero actual evidence of that being the case and the silence speaks loudly
What power? The only power they had was Scott leaning on them, have you heard about Hilferty conferring with any of them?
Hilferty has been explicit, he and Camillo run the business side, Briere runs the Ops side, with input from Jones and Torts.
Not a single word about any role for any advisor - and this is over what is now a three month period.

Briere was hired by Comcast for Maine, on Holmgren's recommendation, since then there's no evidence he has any dealings with the advisors.
After 16 years in the NHL, decades past the time of the advisors, I doubt he feels the need for their input.
If he were to rely on advisors, it would more likely be someone like Kimmo.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
What power? The only power they had was Scott leaning on them, have you heard about Hilferty conferring with any of them?
Hilferty has been explicit, he and Camillo run the business side, Briere runs the Ops side, with input from Jones and Torts.
Not a single word about any role for any advisor - and this is over what is now a three month period.

Briere was hired by Comcast for Maine, on Holmgren's recommendation, since then there's no evidence he has any dealings with the advisors.
After 16 years in the NHL, decades past the time of the advisors, I doubt he feels the need for their input.

As always, you see what you want to see.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
And many of you engage in paranoid conspiracy thinking.

Our opinions are shaped by the proven track record of this organization. My views will change when they prove it, like for example explicitly and firmly removing any hint of the dinosaurs from this organization. Until then, there is no reason to think any differently.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

"They are foundational titans, they are staying, they will give advice when we ask for it."

Yeah, best believe it is being asked for. They think far too highly of them.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Slurp that orange kool-aid

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

Yet Kimmo has no position in this organization which if you'd use him as an advisor he should have a position.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Is the wool in front of your eyes the new shade of orange, the new old shade of orange, or the old shade of orange?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yet Kimmo has no position in this organization which if you'd use him as an advisor he should have a position.
The NHL season hasn't ended yet, contracts expire July 1 (notice after the draft, doubt that's coincidental, and just before the free agent signing period).
Notice Dubas fired, but hasn't hired, in Pittsburgh. I'm sure he has a list of "his" people that he won't be able to add until after the draft.

Hilferty is not going to kick the advisors to the curb, he's got a keen eye for PR (unlike Scott who was a CFO and had no clue) and doesn't want to create bad blood by mishandling the situation. He's treated them with respect, but also made it clear their input will be invited, but they have no authority - i.e., don't call us, we'll call you.

Briere will put together "his" people, he's already promoted Armstrong, his right hand man from Maine, McCauley had been the Flyers’ director of player personnel since February, 2022 - the same time Briere became "special assistant" - coincidence?

As far as Jones talking about building from the defense out, he was referring to Nashville (and Poile), which has always had good, mobile D-men - that is, they didn't just play defense, they are able to flip the ice by skating/passing the puck up ice and joining in on offense. Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, etc.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017

Attachments

• Stanley_Cup,_2015.jpg
    Stanley_Cup,_2015.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Stanley_Cup,_2015.jpg
    Stanley_Cup,_2015.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 2

Columbus Hockey Dad

Oct 30, 2018
Hilferty is not going to kick the advisors to the curb, he's got a keen eye for PR (unlike Scott who was a CFO and had no clue) and doesn't want to create bad blood by mishandling the situation. He's treated them with respect, but also made it clear their input will be invited, but they have no authority - i.e., don't call us, we'll call you.
While I agree with most of this...the problem I have is "the advisors" are still on the payroll and listed as such in Flyers media. This means they have access. This is a problem. If they won't simply publicly retire, Keith Jones is going to have to quietly cut ties. Will he do that? I dunno.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad