Confirmed with Link: Alyn McCauley named assistant GM, Riley Armstrong (director) & Nick Schultz (asst director) heads of player development

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"[Lyksell] wants to play a possession game and turn back with the puck at times. It was a habit that he had to break" - Flahr
Last time I checked, Lycksell wasn't a wizard with the puck.

Part of development is teaching players what won't work at higher levels, unless you're McDavid or Point.
That is, for a guy with good but not great skills, KISS baby. The windows are smaller and mistakes quickly head the other direction.

It's like when people took umbrage for Torts telling Allison to stop making East-West passes, maybe because they were intercepted on a regular basis?
Note he's never told Frost not to make plays, his issue with Frost was being responsible defensively and driving play more than he does.

They want Risto to play more of a stay at home, position game, use your stick instead of getting out of position trying to hit people.
They want York to be more aggressive, use his agility and vision to set up his forwards in the O-zone.

Different strokes for different folks.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
it can def use some improvement. Though in terms of getting players to the NHL where do the flyers rank against their peers? To me the bigger issue is the drafting.

Would have rather blew it up and went outside no doubt.
If you look at drafts in terms of value of the pick v value of the player, I suspect the Flyers are above average.
And I don't think development has been an issue.
The problem has been the "win now" strategy and pissing away draft picks, not misusing draft picks.

The real problem has been pro scouting and the inability to value free agents (overpay, from Weise to JVR to Hayes), win trades, and find "hidden gems" in free agency and on the waiver wire. The Flyers are really bad in this area, like bottom five bad, and for a decade or so.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Last time I checked, Lycksell wasn't a wizard with the puck.

Part of development is teaching players what won't work at higher levels, unless you're McDavid or Point.
That is, for a guy with good but not great skills, KISS baby. The windows are smaller and mistakes quickly head the other direction.

It's like when people took umbrage for Torts telling Allison to stop making East-West passes, maybe because they were intercepted on a regular basis?
Note he's never told Frost not to make plays, his issue with Frost was being responsible defensively and driving play more than he does.

They want Risto to play more of a stay at home, position game, use your stick instead of getting out of position trying to hit people.
They want York to be more aggressive, use his agility and vision to set up his forwards in the O-zone.

Different strokes for different folks.

And to what degree is the shitty development process at fault for the state of his skills?

This is an anti-skill team. We have enough context and examples to know your justification of their values is bullshit.

You do not need to defend everything the team does. The fact that your heroic and infallible authorities are shaking up development in any way (after you claimed there was zero problem for years) should maybe cause you to question things more than this.

Reactions: The Rage Kage

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
More blatant (but totally expected) proof that this board's attitude towards this franchise is still 100% justified.

And yet i can't join you guys down there just yet. I need to see Briere do something stupid with #7, or make another nonsensical Deslaurier signing or 2, or get fleeced in the Hayes/Provy trade, or just something that'll give me cuck or hexy flashbacks. Everything else about this team is indicating the same old song and dance, but until Briere makes actual hockey moves that he can be judged on, he's still the mystery box.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
If you look at drafts in terms of value of the pick v value of the player, I suspect the Flyers are above average.
And I don't think development has been an issue.
The problem has been the "win now" strategy and pissing away draft picks, not misusing draft picks.

The real problem has been pro scouting and the inability to value free agents (overpay, from Weise to JVR to Hayes), win trades, and find "hidden gems" in free agency and on the waiver wire. The Flyers are really bad in this area, like bottom five bad, and for a decade or so.
will add college and euro free agents as well they haven't been good lately. With the resources they have they should be able to find players in that segment. Especially in Europe.

"[Lyksell] wants to play a possession game and turn back with the puck at times. It was a habit that he had to break" - Flahr
what's the back story on that quote? must be more to it than just that.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
By this board’s logic, the Flyers would have to hire new outside front office staff every season, because once you spend a year working with the Flyers, everything you learned outside the organization disappears & you become poisoned for life.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
What’s wrong with Nick Schultz?

Guy managed a 15-year, 1000+ game NHL career as a defenseman.

Spent his last 3 seasons in Philly. Stayed in the area to join the development staff.

Briere got to know him the last couple of years, & was impressed enough to fire the former heads of player development & put development in the hands of Riley Armstrong with Schultz assisting.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think they did a pretty good job with the defensemen at LHV last year.

York spent a couple months there, returned, and was almost immediately the best D-man on the team.
Zamula was shaky when he went down, finished the season strong.
Ginning played well above expectations.
Attard showed steady improvement.
The two guys who didn't improve were Wylie and Hogberg, but both were marginal prospects to begin with.

I also agree with Torts that you draft offense but teach defense.
That is, a lot of offense is about skill, vision and instincts, but a lot of defense is about positioning and effort.
So I have no problem stressing defensive fundamentals for all your players - but if you want a good offensive team, get good players.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think they did a pretty good job with the defensemen at LHV last year.

York spent a couple months there, returned, and was almost immediately the best D-man on the team.
Zamula was shaky when he went down, finished the season strong.
Ginning played well above expectations.
Attard showed steady improvement.
The two guys who didn't improve were Wylie and Hogberg, but both were marginal prospects to begin with.

I also agree with Torts that you draft offense but teach defense.
That is, a lot of offense is about skill, vision and instincts, but a lot of defense is about positioning and effort.
So I have no problem stressing defensive fundamentals for all your players - but if you want a good offensive team, get good players.

You had Zamula as an all-season NHL player, and you're saying he hasn't regressed from that? After you argued he did?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
21833507644a5e18b7066745280b294c.gif

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Oh cool I am a big fan of Nick Schultz and think he is an innovative hockey mind who also was a True Flyer that put his heart and soul out there on behalf of the Philadelphia city every night. I am on my way to the Corestates Center box office now to buy ten (10) seasons' package tickets, I hope the line is not too long.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Schultz played 3 years with the Flyers out of a 16 year career.
Like a lot of decent but not great talents, he couldn't glide on his natural endowment.
Which is why these guys oft make better coaches, they're more aware of the little things you need to do to gain an edge over an opponent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad