Confirmed with Link: Alyn McCauley named assistant GM, Riley Armstrong (director) & Nick Schultz (asst director) heads of player development

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
While I agree with most of this...the problem I have is "the advisors" are still on the payroll and listed as such in Flyers media. This means they have access. This is a problem. If they won't simply publicly retire, Keith Jones is going to have to quietly cut ties. Will he do that? I dunno.
But they don't have a responsive audience.

Jones don't care, he was never one of their guys, Briere has only a tenuous connection to Holmgren and seems to have his own agenda, Torts certainly doesn't care.
Hilferty has made it clear that Briere is running the show on the Ops side and he's going to be hands off.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There was no talk of Barber having Scotts ear....until this year. Almost as if things happen that they don't talk about.

But I am sure th's time will be different. This time guys who have been linked to the Flyers as far as 50 years ago and very outspoken, will never utter a word.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
While I agree with most of this...the problem I have is "the advisors" are still on the payroll and listed as such in Flyers media. This means they have access. This is a problem. If they won't simply publicly retire, Keith Jones is going to have to quietly cut ties. Will he do that? I dunno.

The answer is a big fat f***ing NO. Jones worships them.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I trust Crosby to build a team more than I do Tortor-iere though.
Nice! I don't think we could come up with a better food metaphor for this FO than tourtière; i.e., grinding meat and making it crusty.

iu

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
The advisors aren’t needed.

They have all but ensured this country club is full of people that think exactly like them. With assistant GM John Tortorella coming to their defence already in the Jones/Briere conference unprompted.

They could die tomorrow, and their bullshit still very much remains chokeholding this team.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
The NHL season hasn't ended yet, contracts expire July 1 (notice after the draft, doubt that's coincidental, and just before the free agent signing period).
Notice Dubas fired, but hasn't hired, in Pittsburgh. I'm sure he has a list of "his" people that he won't be able to add until after the draft.

Hilferty is not going to kick the advisors to the curb, he's got a keen eye for PR (unlike Scott who was a CFO and had no clue) and doesn't want to create bad blood by mishandling the situation. He's treated them with respect, but also made it clear their input will be invited, but they have no authority - i.e., don't call us, we'll call you.

Briere will put together "his" people, he's already promoted Armstrong, his right hand man from Maine, McCauley had been the Flyers’ director of player personnel since February, 2022 - the same time Briere became "special assistant" - coincidence?

As far as Jones talking about building from the defense out, he was referring to Nashville (and Poile), which has always had good, mobile D-men - that is, they didn't just play defense, they are able to flip the ice by skating/passing the puck up ice and joining in on offense. Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, etc.
Kimmo has no NHL contract. He could have been brought in already...

Serious hole in your thinking there :)

And how many years since those were acquired?

Evolution has passed those two wins by but this organization refuses to evolve.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Kimmo has no NHL contract. He could have been brought in already...

Serious hole in your thinking there :)

And how many years since those were acquired?

Evolution has passed those two wins by but this organization refuses to evolve.
I'm not sure how interested Kimmo is.
Briere spent four years in Maine, Gagne is an assistant HC in the CHL.
It's one thing to think about getting into management, it's another to work your way up the ladder.
Though it's something to keep an eye on in the next few months.

The priority right now is probably revamping the pro scout group and finding a better cap guy.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I'm not sure how interested Kimmo is.
Briere spent four years in Maine, Gagne is an assistant HC in the CHL.
It's one thing to think about getting into management, it's another to work your way up the ladder.
Though it's something to keep an eye on in the next few months.

The priority right now is probably revamping the pro scout group and finding a better cap guy.
Nice backtrack...You were the one who suggested Kimmo as an advisor.

BTW Kimmo already is in Hockey Management in Finland.

Reactions: Stubu

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I have no idea what the relationship with Briere and Kimmo was/is, other than they were both "leaders" of a top team for a few years together.

Kimmo follows the Flyers, and was pushing for a rebuild a year ago, so he'd be on board with the direction they're taking, and of course, Jones' emphasis on rebuilding the defense! So to that extent, he'd probably be a good fit with the current team.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

I believe the Kimmo thought traces back to Briere and Timonen playing together for a few years so they must think the same way.

Yes, that was a stance at some point. Wild.

I got a kick out of the "aren't Timonen and Briere close?" post earlier in the thread because that was a concocted fantasy that over time turned into reality.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Apparently Hilferty gushing praise for the advisors, saying they'll advise when asked, and then talking about how they want to build in a manner that would be perfect for them being asked for advice is of no concern.

Carry on.

Last edited:

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I have no idea what the relationship with Briere and Kimmo was/is, other than they were both "leaders" of a top team for a few years together.

Kimmo follows the Flyers, and was pushing for a rebuild a year ago, so he'd be on board with the direction they're taking, and of course, Jones' emphasis on rebuilding the defense! So to that extent, he'd probably be a good fit with the current team.

6e620506-4b1b-4b14-b57b-7ee3fe935fad_text.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Always chuckle at the idea they are rebuilding just because they whispered it a couple times. Bullshit.

Trading Provorov, and Hayes. Picking top 5 one time, and somehow proclaiming a rebuild.

Just another lazy retool. Who in their right mind thinks this is going to work. :laugh:

I think they all believe these lazy retools are rebuilds.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
It's inevitable that we are going to learn that the team which wants to build in the spirit of the 70s has been asking the guys from the 70s about making that happen. Then severely elaborate mental gymnastics will occur.
The gymnastics are already beginning as each post gets a simple answer to show it's off base.

I mean we went from Kimmo would be a good advisor to we don't know if he'd be interested in hockey management to we have no idea what their relationship is...

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I think they all believe these lazy retools are rebuilds.

For sure. “See we are doing it the modern way, and it doesn’t work! What do these people want!”

I just wonder who will be to blame in say 5 years when it’s evident this was a waste of time. Jones is going to stick around longer than Briere, so this isn’t a one GM fix.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
For sure. “See we are doing it the modern way, and it doesn’t work! What do these people want!”

I just wonder who will be to blame in say 5 years when it’s evident this was a waste of time. Jones is going to stick around longer than Briere, so this isn’t a one GM fix.

Like I said elsewhere, if they fire every single person working for the team today and start from scratch, then maybe 10 years from now they'll start being good again or have some hope.

Every single day they put off purging the entire front office is another day putting off the inevitable. This whole thing is too far gone.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Like I said elsewhere, if they fire every single person working for the team today and start from scratch, then maybe 10 years from now they'll start being good again or have some hope.

Every single day they put off purging the entire front office is another day putting off the inevitable. This whole thing is too far gone.

Most def. Dubas walks in to Pittsburgh, and fires people on day one. The Flyers need to pull out an Ouija board - and hold a ceremony to determine if 67 year old Mike O’Connell should be let go. While Meltzer is writing sob stories about Kjell not being found another position in the org. Dave Brown still is here.

Lombardi is another important man that remains because seemingly a good chunk of these guys have ties to him.

On a tangent, it’s also funny to see the tone shift from ASF in particular in writing an article that, that is exactly what needs to happen (mass firings) - to the unwavering support given out today.

Jones was a little rat giving leaks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad