Weekes: Along with The Devils, significant interest on Meier are coming from Vegas, Toronto, Carolina

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The Leafs can survive without Rielly on their PP - their PP as currently constructed is one of their biggest playoff weaknesses.

If you say so.

42443A83-746C-4628-B035-486CCC63C9EB.jpeg
2558D3AD-5FD3-4CE0-802A-4E98F22D300C.jpeg

9ADDCDD0-B5ED-47CC-815F-8B4B6AFE75D8.jpeg

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
As a Leafs fan I'd do Knies, Sandin, 2023 1st but I'd insist Benning is included and I'd push for Eyssimont too.

Mark Stone from IR to LTIR.
Then it would be a pure rental for Vegas.

I think hes saying Fitzgerald wont pay because he doesnt like to spend assets, not that they cant afford it.
Then they’re dumb. Waiting and hoping prospects pay off while your top players are in their prime instead of bringing in a proven power forward to immediately help the short and long term is what gets GMs fired.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
If you say so. I’d love to see it laid out. Someone has already posted this already and your bottom 6 is all AHL guys or league minimum. Same as he backup and 5/6 D
Going with the proposed trade: Knies, Sandin, 2023 1st for Meier, Eyssimont, Benning. Assuming Meier signs 9Mx8.

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 4.11.29 PM.png

You have 2.4M to fill 4C and any extras on the roster - Toronto has historically run a 20-21 man roster. Murray has been traded in this scenario.

Eyssimont and Anderson have exaggerated WAR values in this model because they have been so good in their small samples. If you normalize them to 1 WAR each you get 116 projected points.

If you want to argue any of Woll/Timmins/Holmberg/McMann/Anderson are AHL players that is your prerogative but Anderson/Holmberg/Timmins have proven themselves as NHL players this season. McMann is a replacement level 4th line player who can be replaced by any other replacement level 4th liner at league minimum. Woll is arguably the best goalie in the AHL right now.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I’d rather trade him to Carolina. Burns is already there so it’d be an even easier team to root for in the post season.
FWIW, the Sharks were basically my 2nd team during the Joe Thornton days. I'd pretty much always make a trade in the NHL games to get him, and in real life, I wanted him and the former star San Jose players to win their first cup. It also doesn't hurt that I've always liked San Jose's jerseys and their logo.

Anyway, if we DO get Meier, I'm pretty sure the Sharks will be my 2nd team again after getting Burns and Meier; in the same season no less.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It's already been reported that the Leafs would entertain a player like Meiers for a playoff run and then figure it out in the off season. It was suggested they could trade the player in the summer (Meiers / Nylander) to recoup picks and prospects.

They could certainly trade Nylander and resign Meier, though I'm not sure that does too much to improve the team, overall.

However, I think it's a terrible strategy to trade Meier in the summer because his looming qualifying offer has the team over a barrel and would clearly impact his trade value.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
They could certainly trade Nylander and resign Meier, though I'm not sure that does too much to improve the team, overall.

However, I think it's a terrible strategy to trade Meier in the summer because his looming qualifying offer has the team over a barrel and would clearly impact his trade value.
It does improve them for this playoff run though which is what the team is focusing on right now. It's better than using a 1st+ on ROR or any other forward on the market.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Going with the proposed trade: Knies, Sandin, 2023 1st for Meier, Eyssimont, Benning. Assuming Meier signs 9Mx8.

View attachment 650826

You have 2.4M to fill 4C and any extras on the roster - Toronto has historically run a 20-21 man roster. Murray has been traded in this scenario.

Eyssimont and Anderson have exaggerated WAR values in this model because they have been so good in their small samples. If you normalize them to 1 WAR each you get 116 projected points.

If you want to argue any of Woll/Timmins/Holmberg/McMann/Anderson are AHL players that is your prerogative but Anderson/Holmberg/Timmins have proven themselves as NHL players this season. McMann is a replacement level 4th line player who can be replaced by any other replacement level 4th liner at league minimum. Woll is arguably the best goalie in the AHL right now.
Ya I can’t possibly see what could go wrong with an entire bottom 6 forward group with about 50 games of NHL experience between all of them and a rookie Goalie.
A very top heavy team seems to always make it to the Cup finals …….in the 1980’s

But not big enough. Same issue they have had with a few guys, so wouldnt be unprecedented for the same to happen with Meier.
If anything, Fitz has learned to ne more aggressive in order to make sure he gets his man. Also saying he wants SJ to let him know id they get a deal with some other team so he has the chance to beat it …Im sure Fitz will make an offer that is aggressive.

• Haha
Reactions: StorminSnvechnAho

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Ya I can’t possibly see what could go wrong with an entire bottom 6 forward group with about 50 games of NHL experience between all of them and a rookie Goalie.
A very top heavy team seems to always make it to the Cup finals …….in the 1980’s
Jarnkrok: 621 games
Anderson: 71 games
Holmberg: 35 games
Eyssimont: 34 games
McMann: 8 games

Total: 769
Total assuming all but McMann finish out this season: 877
Then you factor in a 3rd/4th line player from UFA for <1M - let's say Andreas Johnsson returns to the Leafs as a UFA and they run Jarnkrok/Holmberg 3C/4C. That adds 248 games which brings the total to 1125.

Not sure if having a rookie goalie pencilled in as the back up is a true issue.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You linked regular season numbers from this season. I said playoff weakness. The Leafs haven't scored a playoff goal in a game 7 (or game 5 against CBJ) since 2018 against the Bruins and it was Patrick Marleau.

2018 game 7: 1/2
2019 game 7: 0/2
2020 game 5: 0/1
2021 game 7: 0/2
2022 game 7: 0/3

The team might need a shake up to stop them from choking at the end of series.

The answer isn’t the Power Play isn’t important in the Playoffs though because that isn’t true.

The Bruins let Krug walk. Grzelcyk didn’t work as his replacement in the short term though and still isn’t as potent.

They had the 2nd best PP% in 2019-20 with Krug though and they gave that up.

And the now have McAvoy and Lindholm on the PP, I don’t see the same level of replacements on your list.

Maybe some reasonable replacements are there. A worse PP makes the team worse though.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
The team might need a shake up to stop them from choking at the end of series.

The answer isn’t the Power Play isn’t important in the Playoffs though because that isn’t true.

The Bruins let Krug walk. Grzelcyk didn’t work as his replacement in the short term though and still isn’t as potent.

They had the 2nd best PP% in 2019-20 with Krug though and they gave that up.

And the now have McAvoy and Lindholm on the PP, I don’t see the same level of replacements on your list.

Maybe some reasonable replacements are there. A worse PP makes the team worse though.
It sounds like you didn't understand the point I was making but we should end this conversation because it is completely off topic from this thread.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Jarnkrok: 621 games
Anderson: 71 games
Holmberg: 35 games
Eyssimont: 34 games
McMann: 8 games

Total: 769
Total assuming all but McMann finish out this season: 877
Then you factor in a 3rd/4th line player from UFA for <1M - let's say Andreas Johnsson returns to the Leafs as a UFA and they run Jarnkrok/Holmberg 3C/4C. That adds 248 games which brings the total to 1125.

Not sure if having a rookie goalie pencilled in as the back up is a true issue.
You get my point . I,wasn’t beig literal .Take out Jarnkrok and it’s what I was tryig to show. But look at the bottom 6 and tell me that’s a good game plan for success.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
But not big enough. Same issue they have had with a few guys, so wouldnt be unprecedented for the same to happen with Meier.

I mean this just isn’t true. Tkachuk didn’t want to come here. Fiala literally only wanted to go to LA. He wasn’t going to trade for Debrincat because a Debrincat wasn’t talking extensions. It’s not about “not offering enough” in a trade. There simply hasn’t been a real trade option for us before Meier.

Also on the Tkachuk front even if he did want to come here there was no realistic way we were beating out Florida. Calgary did not want to rebuild and instead wanted to stay competitive. We could not beat a guy coming off a 115 pt year and a really high end Dman

Last edited:

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
You get my point . I,wasn’t beig literal .Take out Jarnkrok and it’s what I was tryig to show. But look at the bottom 6 and tell me that’s a good game plan for success.
That’s a good game plan for success. As I also mentioned - replace McMann with a UFA <1M like ZAR and throw in another UFA like Johnsson and you’re looking at 0 players under 50 games (once Holmberg/Eyssimont finish the season.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Why bother going through all of that? Essentially swap Meier for Nylander but give up Knies and a 1st plus in order to do so? Ya not happening
Leafs would have them both for the playoff run this year and have some cost certainty for the long term, plus the assets in any hypothetical deal. Nylander is one of my favourite players so I wouldn't do it but there's definitely options for the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad