Weekes: Along with The Devils, significant interest on Meier are coming from Vegas, Toronto, Carolina

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC
Sure, but fans aren’t willing to give him up.

In terms of what’s in the comfort zone, to end up disappointed that they couldn’t beat it in the end, the Devils are on a level playing field with other suitors, imo.
It's also semantics, Jarvis and Marrow would probably still beat that. I really don't want to see Jarvis go.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
It's also semantics, Jarvis and Marrow would probably still beat that. I really don't want to see Jarvis go.
Yes. Theoretically anyone could beat offers those offers. it all depends on what Grier is lookig for and how far amd how much tewks are willing to pay.
Oilers can offer McD at 50% retained with 1st round picks from now until 2035.
I can’t se the Canes parting with Jarvis plus a 1st plus more added. And add to that the extension cost. Canes don’t operate that way . It’s all about comtracr and asset value. They are a very well ran organization.Bery methodical and effective. But perhaps they abandon tat and go “all in”.
For the Devils , Fitz will not want to move Mercer at all. However with how much he has gone after other big name wingers and misses out , I can see him being more aggressive than most and may be willing to go further and offer Mercer or at least try to outbid everyone else.
I can see NJ have the advantage where Meier is tight with his Swiss buddies and might no want to extend with anyine but NJ , so other teams might be hesitant to try to outbid NJ if ne won’t extend .
Id say NJ is the favorite to land him right now , however, I would not e shocked if another team up goes crqzy and out bids NJ. It will have to be a lo to give up as Fitz wants Meier bad.

StorminSnvechnAho

Feb 15, 2021
NC
Yes. Theoretically anyone could beat offers those offers. it all depends on what Grier is lookig for and how far amd how much tewks are willing to pay.
Oilers can offer McD at 50% retained with 1st round picks from now until 2035.
I can’t se the Canes parting with Jarvis plus a 1st plus more added. And add to that the extension cost. Canes don’t operate that way . It’s all about comtracr and asset value. They are a very well ran organization.Bery methodical and effective. But perhaps they abandon tat and go “all in”.
For the Devils , Fitz will not want to move Mercer at all. However with how much he has gone after other big name wingers and misses out , I can see him being more aggressive than most and may be willing to go further and offer Mercer or at least try to outbid everyone else.
I can see NJ have the advantage where Meier is tight with his Swiss buddies and might no want to extend with anyine but NJ , so other teams might be hesitant to try to outbid NJ if ne won’t extend .
Id say NJ is the favorite to land him right now , however, I would not e shocked if another team up goes crqzy and out bids NJ. It will have to be a lo to give up as Fitz wants Meier bad.
Lots of factors NJ is very keen on an immediate extension, The Canes have more Cap to utilize both currently and next season... around 10M due to LTIR.... I'll agree the Canes wouldn't normally operate that way but it should be noted they were in the Laine/Tkachuk talks until the end... both times because they said no to Necas moving (who Is obviously not on the table now).

Reactions: Sigurd

StorminSnvechnAho

Feb 15, 2021
NC
As a Leafs fan I'd do Knies, Sandin, 2023 1st but I'd insist Benning is included and I'd push for Eyssimont too.

Mark Stone from IR to LTIR.
I figured Stone was going to LTIR I just looked up that he has a 9.5M hit ouch talk about a bad contract.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
They could always flip Rielly, it's not like he's got a bad contract by any means. They've already got Liljegren, Sandin, Giordano, Brodie, Holl, Timmins, Muzzin (he'll either be back or on Robidas island), Niemala, along with depth in Benn and Mete.

Their defensive play without Rielly as a team was elite, like top 3 league-wide. Rielly doesn't help them keeping the puck out of the net.

They can keep Meier along with Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Tavares if they really wanted to. It's not hard. The Leafs don't have bad contracts as a result of paying their top guys premium. Tavares might be considered their worst contract but even he's ppg in year 5 of his contract.

A player with a 7 year/7.5m contract and full NMC isn’t the most easy player to flip.

Only a certain number of teams are shopping for a (soon to be 29 year old) offensive defenseman making that and then he has to be willing to go there.

And then the Leafs are significantly worse without him on their PP1 unless Sandin is ready to step way way up immediately.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
As a Leafs fan I'd do Knies, Sandin, 2023 1st but I'd insist Benning is included and I'd push for Eyssimont too.

He might be worth that, with an extension. But everything we know about Dubas says he won't give that much away for a rental. Unless Meier is coming with an agreed reasonable contract, then that won't be offered from Toronto.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
He might be worth that, with an extension. But everything we know about Dubas says he won't give that much away for a rental. Unless Meier is coming with an agreed reasonable contract, then that won't be offered from Toronto.
I'm under the assumption there's 0 chance Toronto acquires him as a rental. Either re-sign or trade him, most likely re-sign. I don't think any team would not qualify him.

A player with a 7 year/7.5m contract and full NMC isn’t the most easy player to flip.

Only a certain number of teams are shopping for a (soon to be 29 year old) offensive defenseman making that and then he has to be willing to go there.

And then the Leafs are significantly worse without him on their PP1 unless Sandin is ready to step way way up immediately.
The Leafs can survive without Rielly on their PP - their PP as currently constructed is one of their biggest playoff weaknesses.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'm under the assumption there's 0 chance Toronto acquires him as a rental. Either re-sign or trade him, most likely re-sign. I don't think any team would not qualify him.

With a 10 million QO, I think it's more likely than people think. Vegas can't keep him past this season, either, if he doesn't take less than his QO.

It's just like trading for a pending UFA, in my opinion. Because you can't claim to have team control when his QO would be a mistake.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
With a 10 million QO, I think it's more likely than people think. Vegas can't keep him past this season, either, if he doesn't take less than his QO.

It's just like trading for a pending UFA, in my opinion. Because you can't claim to have team control when his QO would be a mistake.
No one truly knows what will happen but I am currently 100% convinced Meier isn't a UFA this July.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad