Weekes: Along with The Devils, significant interest on Meier are coming from Vegas, Toronto, Carolina

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
But not big enough. Same issue they have had with a few guys, so wouldnt be unprecedented for the same to happen with Meier.

What players are you even talking about?

Fitz didn't even get to make an offer on Tkachuk because NJ wasn't one of the teams he was willing to sign an extension with.

Zacha37

Dec 8, 2016
What players are you even talking about?

Fitz didn't even get to make an offer on Tkachuk because NJ wasn't one of the teams he was willing to sign an extension with.
I believe it was reported Fitz offered the 2nd pick + at the draft as well

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC
Yes , they could . At the cost of makig their team worse and way too top heavy.

Leafs would have them both for the playoff run this year and have some cost certainty for the long term, plus the assets in any hypothetical deal. Nylander is one of my favourite players so I wouldn't do it but there's definitely options for the Leafs.
So round one and the off-season.

Zacha37

Dec 8, 2016
Offered that for him but won't offer that for meier....ok
Confused at what you’re trying to say here. Tkachuk is easily the better player and has much more value in a trade especially with the circumstances surrounding Meier and his QO.

Reactions: HBK27

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
When we look back at this TDL, there will be clear winners and losers, but the biggest winner will be the image consultant for Matthew Knies who is suddenly somehow the most prized asset in professional sports.
Any Leafs prospect is like this. I remember when Robertson was untouchable .

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Not being funny but what salary does Vegas move to make that happen? They have about 4k in available cap.
When they moved Mark Stone to LTIR after his probably season-ending back injury and surgery on Feb. 1, that freed up $9.5M

The quandry is that there is a small chance that Stone might be healthy again before the end of the season, so the VGK will probably wait until the last second to see whether it looks like he may return before pulling the trigger on any trades.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
You get my point . I,wasn’t beig literal .Take out Jarnkrok and it’s what I was tryig to show. But look at the bottom 6 and tell me that’s a good game plan for success.

Even ignoring options like playing Nylander in a Kessel role on the 3rd line, we’re replacing Kerfoot and Engvall. It’s not like we’re downgrading from high end 3rd liners, as long as the replacements can PK it’s a lateral move considering how little those two get done in the playoffs. Kerfoot is nice to have to fill in for top-6 injuries but in a 3rd line role I’d rather have the bigger bodies from the Marlies/UFA.

Reactions: Americanadian

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
No one truly knows what will happen but I am currently 100% convinced Meier isn't a UFA this July.
I’m not 100% sure but I believe that unless a contract is signed, Meier will be an RFA this summer. The only thing that a team will gain by qualifying him would be so other teams cannot offersheet him. If a team trades for him and chooses not to qualify him, he would still be an rfa and open to offersheets and would have to sign before December to play next season.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
I’m not 100% sure but I believe that unless a contract is signed, Meier will be an RFA this summer. The only thing that a team will gain by qualifying him would be so other teams cannot offersheet him. If a team trades for him and chooses not to qualify him, he would still be an rfa and open to offersheets and would have to sign before December to play next season.

Must be qualified to be an RFA. If he isn't qualified, he is a UFA and free to sign anywhere. Qualifying a player does nothing to their ability to sign an offersheet (only a player electing arbitration would limit that). Tendering him an offersheet makes him an RFA and then his options become a) sign the QO and play a 1 year deal at his QO of 10M, would be UFA next summer b) elect or be taken to salary arbitration in which he would be awarded a 1 year deal at a salary determined by the arbitrator c) sign a different contract with the team that owns his rights or c) sign an offer sheet.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Meier is not going to be a UFA this summer, that would be ridiculous for any team that owns his rights at the time. We've been saying for pages now he's willing to sign long term rather than take a 10x1...and even in the absolute worst case, the team would qualify him to hold his rights for another year and/or trade him for assets at that point.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
The Athletic has an article up today about perfect trade fits for contending teams and speculation on offers.

Meier was the only player they mentioned twice:

1676559488882.png

1676559509575.png

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Holtz seems to be the main piece in a lot of these trades too... I think a lot of fanbases overrate their prospects.

View attachment 651197
View attachment 651199
No doubt everyone overrates their own, but Holtz was a 7th overall pick where as Robertson was a second round pick. Robertson is also 5'9 and hasn't played 40 games in a season since the OHL where as Holtz was point/game in 50 AHL games last year.

One is clearly more highly regarded than the other.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
No doubt everyone overrates their own, but Holtz was a 7th overall pick where as Robertson was a second round pick. Robertson is also 5'9 and hasn't played 40 games in a season since the OHL where as Holtz was point/game in 50 AHL games last year.

One is clearly more highly regarded than the other.

Robertson is 4 months older I believe and has been better in the NHL.

Robertson has been PPG in the AHL for the last two seasons he played.

Draft rank means a lot less at this point.

I think Holtz is a good prospect, just laughing at the original quote.

Completely useless information. He hasn’t been given any opportunity. And obviously his relative stats will suffer when he has barely played with Hughes and Nico.

So he is a passenger at best. Probably shouldn't be the main piece going back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad