All-Time Draft #7, Part IV

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
For me, it's definitely Plante. 6 Vezinas, 1 Hart, 435 victories. He revolutionized the goaltending style from almost A to Z. The mask, covering angles, playing outside the net, an awesome playoff performer. It's really close between Sawchuk an him though.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
so when do u apologize to me ?
I asked a valid question: did you PM a list. It's a question you have asked twice in this round. It was past 2 a.m. in your part of the world when I asked that question. I thought you might be sleeping. I then astutely pointed out that if Evil Speaker was looking at a defenceman, he should go ahead and announce his pick, since you already had your defence filled. If Speaker (and Nalyd, for that matter) picked defencemen, it would have zero impact on your team. Of course, the same could not be said about Sather, since his remaining needs are the same as yours.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
For me, it's definitely Plante. 6 Vezinas, 1 Hart, 435 victories. He revolutionized the goaltending style from almost A to Z. The mask, covering angles, playing outside the net, an awesome playoff performer. It's really close between Sawchuk an him though.
I would go with Plante, for the same reasons you outlined. I think Hasek and Hall were better regular season goalies, but I would take Plante (as well as Roy and Sawchuk) ahead of Hasek and Hall because of the reliability factor I mentioned earlier in this thread, especially once the playoffs began.

But, as I've stated from the outset: I wouldn't pick a goalie in the first two rounds. There are roughly 20 goalies who can steal a series. The difference between No. 1 and No. 15 or 20 isn't as much as one would think.

Zetterberg4Captain*

Happy we talk about goaltenders a bit, as it's my favourite position to talk and learn about. Just for fun, I would like everyone who participate in the draft to name who they think his the best goaltender of all-time (or who they would take N.1 in this draft). You can give your opinion, but it's not needed. You can only give a name if you wish so.

So far, from the previous, I can say that:

2- Jacques Plante (EagleBelfour, God Bless Canada)
1- Patrick Roy (Spitfire11)
1- Terry Sawchuk (Murphy2)
1- Dominik Hasek (HankyFourFinger)

I'll update this post whenever someone give his answer.

If we were just taking goalies Terry Sawchuk is the guy I want! :D

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Just for fun, I would like everyone who participate in the draft to name who they think his the best goaltender of all-time (or who they would take N.1 in this draft).

Most dominant goalie, regular season: Hasek, by a fairly wide margin
Most dominant goalie, playoffs: Dryden or Roy
Best longevity/consistency, regular season: Hall
Best longevity/consistency, playoffs: probably Plante

Best "overall": I'd probably take Plante as the first goalie if I had the choice. He was an excellent regular season goalie. Unlike some playoff goalies that only really played at an elite level in the playoffs, Plante would be able to play at a high level during the regular season and therefore ensure any team a good seeding. He's consistent, so you're confident that he'll show up for the majority of your games, even in an off year.

More importantly, he had numerous brilliant playoff performances that allowed the Habs to open up and use their offensive firepower to its full potential. He never had a year quite on par with Dryden in '71, Sawchuk in '52, or Roy in '93 (etc.); however, he was brilliant almost every year in his prime, leading the playoffs in GAA 7 times (including 5 years in a row) and in save percentage 4 times. He was awarded a retroactive Conn Smythe in 1960. True, Plante played his best years behind a great defense but he had a Smythe-worthy performance on an expansion team. According to many of his peers (there are some great quotes from Cournoyer, who faced him in the 1969 Finals), Plante was a goalie with the talent and personality to cause fear in the hearts of opponents. That's the kind of goalie you want in net when you're battling for the Cup (Lord Stanley or Milt Dunnell).

Last edited:

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
I asked a valid question: did you PM a list. It's a question you have asked twice in this round. It was past 2 a.m. in your part of the world when I asked that question. I thought you might be sleeping. I then astutely pointed out that if Evil Speaker was looking at a defenceman, he should go ahead and announce his pick, since you already had your defence filled. If Speaker (and Nalyd, for that matter) picked defencemen, it would have zero impact on your team. Of course, the same could not be said about Sather, since his remaining needs are the same as yours.

still no reason to call me a a hole

clean up ur act

im rather appalled since u call urself church folk

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
still no reason to call me a a hole

clean up ur act

im rather appalled since u call urself church folk
I didn't call you an a hole. Where did I say a hole? Go read my post. When I said "there's that A-word again," I used in reference to the word assuming, which is the word I used right before putting, in brackets, "there's that A-word again."

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
I didn't call you an a hole. Where did I say a hole? Go read my post. When I said "there's that A-word again," I used in reference to the word assuming, which is the word I used right before putting, in brackets, "there's that A-word again."

oh yeah i hear teh a word meaning assumign all the time ......not

anyways I'll turn the other cheek now

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I'd take Plante #1 personally, but I think you could make a decent case for any of the Big-6 (I have Dryden almost at the same level as the other five) first.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
hmm...based on Evil Sather's evaluation I have a team that might not make the playoffs. I'm not sure if I like that or not. On one hand, I feel as if we might surprise a lot of people...on the other, I feel as if I have finally put together half decent team and apparently I'm wrong haha.

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
Happy we talk about goaltenders a bit, as it's my favourite position to talk and learn about. Just for fun, I would like everyone who participate in the draft to name who they think his the best goaltender of all-time (or who they would take N.1 in this draft). You can give your opinion, but it's not needed. You can only give a name if you wish so.

Hasek

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
oh yeah i hear teh a word meaning assumign all the time ......not

anyways I'll turn the other cheek now

Um... you have gone off the deep end this time, LL.

Read the post, he says that he "assumes (there's that A word again)"

As in... assume is the "a" word. Not you are an a hole.

If anyone owes anyone an apology now it's you.

Last edited:

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site

Hasek or Sawchuk. For peak Hasek no doubt.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Evil Sather, I am not so sure what you mean with mix.
My team has mixed nationalities but in playing style they have one thing in common that was important to me. With the exception of Norström they are all excellent two way players and I am confident that I wouldn`t mind anyone from this in the penalty kill. The offensive ceiling of everyone is still high enough (exception Norström and Ricci (although he chipped in with timely goals as well)) to score my goals. That is what I was looking for in the entire draft. I might not have the best goalscorers but I think it will be hard to score against this team.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
So, who would you take first in a draft like this? Hasek or Sawchuk?

I think I tend to take Sawchuk (his shut out record is so awesome) although that might depend on my mood. I will probably not get either in any of these drafts (perhaps if one of them really slipped) since I don`t take goalies early. There are so many great goalies too pick.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Uh, guys, we have a draft going... and it seems to be stalling with the disagreements

Now Evil Speaker is 6.5 hours into his clock, isn't he?

604 Evil Speaker - Boston Bruins - ON THE CLOCK
605 Nalyd Psycho - St. Louis Eagles
606 Evil Sather - New York Rangers
607 Spitfire11 - Detroit Red Wings

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Am I the only one thinking Sawchuck is... overated?
Odds are that anyone debated as the #1 of anything of all-time is going to be by some.

When Goalie's World did their all-time goalie ranking back in 2000, they said their biggest arguement against Sawchuck being #1 is that he was never a 1st All-star after Hall and Plante were in the NHL.

Sawchuck first 5 (full) years vs rest of career (15 years, from 55-56 on)
345 games 199 wins 57 shutouts 1.94 GAA 3 1st A-S 2 2nd A-S 3 Vezina 3 Cups
626 games 248 wins 46 shutouts 2.82 GAA 0 1st A-S 2 2nd A-S 1 Vezina 1 Cup

Plante first 5 (full) years vs rest of career (11 years, from 59-60 on)
331 games 187 wins 44 shutouts 2.02 GAA 2 1st A-S 2 2nd A-S 4 Vezina 5 Cups
506 games 250 wins 38 shutouts 2.61 GAA 1 1st A-S 2 2nd A-S 3 Vezina 1 Cup

Hall first 5 (full) years vs rest of career (11 years, from 60-61 on)
358 games 154 wins 31 shutouts 2.52 GAA 3 1st A-S 1 2nd A-S 0 Vezina 0 Cups
548 games 253 wins 53 shutouts 2.48 GAA 4 1st A-S 3 2nd A-S 3 Vezina 1 Cup

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Goalies, I personally rank Hasek #1. Yeah, he's a bit of a flake, but of all players I've seen play, Hasek is the most dominant, and that includes 92-93 Lemieux. He may be the only player in hockey history who can single handedly win games.

Actually, I think pappy would be the draft leader for PM'ed lists. I would say that more than half of his picks have been announced through the PM. #66 and EagleBelfour have seemingly gone through that route a lot, too.

I think I've had five or six picks announced via PM.

I gotta be up there as well.

Evil Sather

YOU KILL THE JOE
Jun 27, 2003
YOU MAKE SOME MO
Visit site
hmm...based on Evil Sather's evaluation I have a team that might not make the playoffs. I'm not sure if I like that or not. On one hand, I feel as if we might surprise a lot of people...on the other, I feel as if I have finally put together half decent team and apparently I'm wrong haha.

It was a "quick n dirty" evaluation, nothing terribly in depth, I just looked at the Roster Thread. I love the "Punch" line and for my money they're a legit #1 line in the draft. Sanderson will be... Sanderson (PERFECT for my team but w/e), big fan of Muller, and I like Leach and Lewis but your forward corps kind of leaves me wanting as a whole. Kariya and Turgeon and Ronning have the skillsets but none are second liners IMO -- and I'm probably giving you less negative marks for Turgeon and Ronning then some will. Problem with Ronning is if you're moving him up when say "behind", what does that say about Turgeon? Why even have him?

Big fan of Cleghorne and Tremblay, but Boivin and Harper are kind of "meh" for a top pair and second pair guys. I understand their forte is defense and they like a Van Impe may well end up being "playoff warriors" but it seems lacking. I'd actually really like to see who plays the points on your Power Play.

As for goaltending, Cheevers' playoff resume needs no introduction, very similar to Fuhr. But he was never a great regular season goalie and that's gonna count against. If you had draft a really strong regular season goalie (Curtis Joseph wouldn't have been bad at all) it would have rated higher IMO. Henry's body of work isnt significant enough, IMO.

So when I say your team could be a terror, I mean it... Punch line, Leach, your top-4 D I could totally see lifting their play, plus big game Cheevers in net. I just don't know if you make it to the round of 16. I'm not saying you can't, or that I won't vote that you do, but this is a murderers row of teams here and I would have liked to see another surefire gamebreaker other than Richard to help out in the dregs of February.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad