All-Time Draft #7, Part IV

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
The St. Louis Eagles add a man once known as one of the best power defenders, dispite being drafted to be a power forward, then he comitted the cardinal sin of accepting an overpayment and never fufilled the unreasonable demands the contract placed on him. But, is still a proven playoff warrior and power defender.

RW Martin Lapointe

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
no one says a word for assume

thats a typical gbc passive aggressive post

I feel stupid dragging this out because it couldn't possibly be more obvious that you've misread what he said.

Seriously, I think you're the only person on planet earth who would read that post and think you're being called an a hole.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
It was a "quick n dirty" evaluation, nothing terribly in depth, I just looked at the Roster Thread. I love the "Punch" line and for my money they're a legit #1 line in the draft. Sanderson will be... Sanderson (PERFECT for my team but w/e), big fan of Muller, and I like Leach and Lewis but your forward corps kind of leaves me wanting as a whole. Kariya and Turgeon and Ronning have the skillsets but none are second liners IMO -- and I'm probably giving you less negative marks for Turgeon and Ronning then some will. Problem with Ronning is if you're moving him up when say "behind", what does that say about Turgeon? Why even have him?

Big fan of Cleghorne and Tremblay, but Boivin and Harper are kind of "meh" for a top pair and second pair guys. I understand their forte is defense and they like a Van Impe may well end up being "playoff warriors" but it seems lacking. I'd actually really like to see who plays the points on your Power Play.

As for goaltending, Cheevers' playoff resume needs no introduction, very similar to Fuhr. But he was never a great regular season goalie and that's gonna count against. If you had draft a really strong regular season goalie (Curtis Joseph wouldn't have been bad at all) it would have rated higher IMO. Henry's body of work isnt significant enough, IMO.

So when I say your team could be a terror, I mean it... Punch line, Leach, your top-4 D I could totally see lifting their play, plus big game Cheevers in net. I just don't know if you make it to the round of 16. I'm not saying you can't, or that I won't vote that you do, but this is a murderers row of teams here and I would have liked to see another surefire gamebreaker other than Richard to help out in the dregs of February.

I agree with your critique on my goaltending. I've known all along that it's going to hurt my chances, but Cheevers will get the job done in the regular season. I don't really care where I place in the regular season, as long as it's in the top 16. After that I don't care who I play in the playoffs, we'll take anyone.

When you say Kariya isn't a second liner, what do you mean? That he's a first liner? Or that he doesn't belong in the draft. I actually see him as one of those game breakers you were mentioning. Correct me if I'm wrong HO, but he was on your top line on the team that won the last ATD was he not?

As far as game breakers are concerned, I think you might be underrating Lach. You call the Rocket my only sure fire game breaker, but I do have a couple of Art Ross trophy winners on the team as well. I actually love the scoring punch on my team.

I think my defence is solid. Boivin and Harper are there for exactly what you mentioned, defence. I haven't really set a power play yet, but it will have Rocket, Lach, Blake, Kariya, and Cleghorn on it.

I love my fourth line of Shack-Sanderson-Tremblay. They can score, they can hit, and they can be a-holes. That's really all you can ask.

My third line worries me a little bit because I'm basing so much on guys I never saw, but I feel as if I've done decent research.

Jim Henry was my biggest mistake of the draft, possibly of any draft I've ever taken part in. But as I said, I expect us to get to the playoffs in the bottom half and then go from there.

Edit: I just took at look at your team, and realized that we're not going to come to any kind of agreement here haha. However, I'm really happy to not be in your division! There are a number of guys on your team (Dionne, BURE, Coffey) that are on the raleh black list. Although there's one of those guys on my team this draft as well.

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
no one says a word for assume

thats a typical gbc passive aggressive post
What's with this passive aggressive line you keep using? In case you can't tell, the one thing you can't accuse me of being is passive. Aggressive, on the other hand? You all know how aggressive I can be.

Clearly my comment was a little too high-brow for LL at 2 a.m. in Atlantic Canada. Perhaps he should look back on his "when to apologize" post, and follow his own advice.

Evil Sather

YOU KILL THE JOE
Jun 27, 2003
YOU MAKE SOME MO
Visit site
I agree with your critique on my goaltending. I've known all along that it's going to hurt my chances, but Cheevers will get the job done in the regular season. I don't really care where I place in the regular season, as long as it's in the top 16. After that I don't care who I play in the playoffs, we'll take anyone.

When you say Kariya isn't a second liner, what do you mean? That he's a first liner? Or that he doesn't belong in the draft. I actually see him as one of those game breakers you were mentioning. Correct me if I'm wrong HO, but he was on your top line on the team that won the last ATD was he not?

As far as game breakers are concerned, I think you might be underrating Lach. You call the Rocket my only sure fire game breaker, but I do have a couple of Art Ross trophy winners on the team as well. I actually love the scoring punch on my team.

I think my defence is solid. Boivin and Harper are there for exactly what you mentioned, defence. I haven't really set a power play yet, but it will have Rocket, Lach, Blake, Kariya, and Cleghorn on it.

I love my fourth line of Shack-Sanderson-Tremblay. They can score, they can hit, and they can be a-holes. That's really all you can ask.

My third line worries me a little bit because I'm basing so much on guys I never saw, but I feel as if I've done decent research.

Jim Henry was my biggest mistake of the draft, possibly of any draft I've ever taken part in. But as I said, I expect us to get to the playoffs in the bottom half and then go from there.

Edit: I just took at look at your team, and realized that we're not going to come to any kind of agreement here haha. However, I'm really happy to not be in your division! There are a number of guys on your team (Dionne, BURE, Coffey) that are on the raleh black list. Although there's one of those guys on my team this draft as well.

What I mean by gamebreaker isn't neccessarily the skills to make a breakaway and score, it's that one guy you have to keep an eye on every game, if you have a checking pest, he's the guy you point him to stick on. Not a guy who can make two gorgeous goals when you're down 4-0 in the 3rd period (not saying Kariya is a guy who pads stats, just explaining theoretically) but someone who can put up goals when the team is lagging a bit and change its complexion. Yes you have guys who can score (and I'd rather have Kariya on a 1st rather than supporting line, if that makes any sense) but Richard is the only one I'd look at and go "wow. gotta stop him."

Kariya-Turgeon is a defensive disaster waiting to happen and like GBC once said about my Crosby-Bure tandem, I'd rather you have a big more defensive center to cover up his transgressions(hello Steve Rucchin). Could it work? Sure. You have a surefire playoff calibre 1st and 4th lines. It's your other ones and offense from the back end and goaltending that worry me a bit.

If you do make it, I for one wouldn't want to face you. It's just the long haul I'd be worried about.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
What I mean by gamebreaker isn't neccessarily the skills to make a breakaway and score, it's that one guy you have to keep an eye on every game, if you have a checking pest, he's the guy you point him to stick on. Not a guy who can make two gorgeous goals when you're down 4-0 in the 3rd period (not saying Kariya is a guy who pads stats, just explaining theoretically) but someone who can put up goals when the team is lagging a bit and change its complexion. Yes you have guys who can score (and I'd rather have Kariya on a 1st rather than supporting line, if that makes any sense) but Richard is the only one I'd look at and go "wow. gotta stop him."

Kariya-Turgeon is a defensive disaster waiting to happen and like GBC once said about my Crosby-Bure tandem, I'd rather you have a big more defensive center to cover up his transgressions(hello Steve Rucchin). Could it work? Sure. You have a surefire playoff calibre 1st and 4th lines. It's your other ones and offense from the back end and goaltending that worry me a bit.

If you do make it, I for one wouldn't want to face you. It's just the long haul I'd be worried about.

Well I guess I would agree with that. I don't think we'll be playing each other in this draft, but I look forward to it if we do. The closest will probably be when the Rocket plays against your entire top two lines in the all star game!

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think raleh's on the right path in some respects. His top line, for my money, is the best in the draft. The Punch Line is one of the league's all-time greats, and in a 28-team draft, if you can reunite a top line, or even two-thirds of a great line, you have a definite head start on your competition, especially early in the year when the other teams are trying to get chemistry between their lines. That chemistry advantage will diminish as the season progresses.

I do have concerns about his second line. I wonder who's going to do the dirty work. Leach wasn't a rugged player, and you know what Turgeon and Kariya will get you. I think you might eventually have to put Muller or Tremblay on that line, simply to open up room for the skilled players. That's why I was so keen on landing Duke Keats for my second line: I knew that I wasn't likely going to find a physical offensive winger for that line (a Neely or a Shanahan, or even an Owen Nolan [although I was close on that one]) so I'd need a centre who could make plays while opening up room for his linemates.

raleh's third and fourth lines are more of what you would expect from this team.

Claghorn-Tremblay is an excellent 1-2 punch on the blue-line, although they're good enough in other areas that I think they can play together as the top unit. Leave Boivin and Harper as a shut-down third pairing. I'm not that familiar with Ott Heller, so I say this with a reservation: I have concerns about your defence's ability to move the puck beyond Claghorn and Tremblay. Is that why you've split them up, rather than have one of the best pairings in the draft?

Cheevers is an excellent goalie pick. A terrific playoff goalie who had that knack for coming up with the big save at the right time. And one of the first goalies to effectively handle the puck. He might be better at moving the puck than a couple of your defencemen. He wasn't a great regular season goalie, but if you limit him to say, 50 games, and give Henry the other 30-plus contests, you should be fine.

Evil Sather

YOU KILL THE JOE
Jun 27, 2003
YOU MAKE SOME MO
Visit site
Not my ENTIRE top 6... people will hate on Crosby after all...

funny thing is I think my defense corps is better than my forwards. Up front I have a couple holes but my D is not only solid in their own end but great transitionally. All of them can score, and even Coffey could defend if he really had to. All have speed and size and a couple are even kinda mean :) . I consider it one of the better upper-tier (not best) defenses in the draft.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Not my ENTIRE top 6... people will hate on Crosby after all...

funny thing is I think my defense corps is better than my forwards. Up front I have a couple holes but my D is not only solid in their own end but great transitionally. All of them can score, and even Coffey could defend if he really had to. All have speed and size and a couple are even kinda mean :) . I consider it one of the better upper-tier (not best) defenses in the draft.
I think you're overselling a couple of elements on your defence, but there's a lot to like. The Coffey-Lowe tandem works well. But I wouldn't say that Coffey was "kinda mean." He had seasons with high PIM totals, but I don't think they were from playing tough. In the same breath, I wouldn't expect much from Lowe and Ramsey offensively. I think Ramsey should probably be with Mathieu Schneider. Give Schneider the green light to go offensively, with Ramsey taking care of the defensive zone.

On the other hand, a Schneider-Greschner duo is menacing with their shots.

Gary Suter's a great defenceman to have in this draft because he can play almost any role, except for that of a sure-thing shut down defensive defenceman. Really good in all three zones, moves the puck well, shoots hard, hits hard, takes care of his own zone. Put him with Coffey or Schneider and watch him take care of his own zone, put him with Lowe or Ramsay and let Suter work offensively, or put him with Greschner on a two-way pairing. No matter what, he won't let you down. Perfect for the No. 3 role, playing around 21 or 22 minutes a game.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Of the goalies, I think Hall tends to be that is a bit overrated. His playoff numbers just don't match up to the other top flight goalies, I wouldn't have him in my top 5 (Brodeur, Hasek, Plante, Roy and Sawchuk).

Evil Sather

YOU KILL THE JOE
Jun 27, 2003
YOU MAKE SOME MO
Visit site
I think you're overselling a couple of elements on your defence, but there's a lot to like. The Coffey-Lowe tandem works well. But I wouldn't say that Coffey was "kinda mean." He had seasons with high PIM totals, but I don't think they were from playing tough. In the same breath, I wouldn't expect much from Lowe and Ramsey offensively. I think Ramsey should probably be with Mathieu Schneider. Give Schneider the green light to go offensively, with Ramsey taking care of the defensive zone.

On the other hand, a Schneider-Greschner duo is menacing with their shots.

Gary Suter's a great defenceman to have in this draft because he can play almost any role, except for that of a sure-thing shut down defensive defenceman. Really good in all three zones, moves the puck well, shoots hard, hits hard, takes care of his own zone. Put him with Coffey or Schneider and watch him take care of his own zone, put him with Lowe or Ramsay and let Suter work offensively, or put him with Greschner on a two-way pairing. No matter what, he won't let you down. Perfect for the No. 3 role, playing around 21 or 22 minutes a game.

I'm expecting Coffey to be his puck rushing self; Ramsey and Lowe aren't expected to do more offensively than outlet passing (which they are both capable of doing) and Suter has the mean ******* area covered, while Schneider and Greschner can worry more about playing their two way games. I feel I can mix and match them opponent depending -- even so far as to play Coffey and Ramsey together, then Suter-Greschner and Schneider-Lowe and have three balanced pairings. The only thing I could use is either another pure puck-rusher or another shutdown defenseman, but I'm okay with them not having a clear cut identity. It's not perfect, but I feel it's somewhere in the top 7-12 defenses.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I'll take Plante number one, he just consistently combines all the best elements of a goalie better than all the others IMO.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
Of the goalies, I think Hall tends to be that is a bit overrated. His playoff numbers just don't match up to the other top flight goalies, I wouldn't have him in my top 5 (Brodeur, Hasek, Plante, Roy and Sawchuk).

That's interesting because I think he tends to be a bit underrated at times...I think people tend to forget about him carrying that expansion Blues team basically. Also just from an "eyeball" test perspective the film/games I've seen of him he looks to be the most talented goaltender in terms of athletic ability during his prime years (when compared to others of his era).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad