All-Time Draft #7, Part IV

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I don't know what to think of your team GBC, I like your D, I do worry about your offensive production, Keats was a fantastic pick though, your games would have to be close and I don't know that Fuhr will be used to low scoring grind-it out games where he can't just shake off his errors and feel that his team can score at anytime.
We've thought about that with Fuhr. The thing about Fuhr is he came up with the big saves when needed. I think he showed with St. Louis in 1996 and 1997 that he could succeed for a low-scoring team. I thought he should have been a Hart finalist in 1996.

We freely admit that we're not going to win a lot of 6-5 type games. We're going to need to win a lot of 3-2 games. We're confident that we will get an offensive boost from our defence. Red Kelly, Hap Day and even Gus Mortson will be activated in the offence, and we know what Rob Blake and Stefan Persson are capble of offensively. We have very good speed up front, and we should have a good transition game with our skating and puck movement.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Thoughts on the draft overall:

Other teams might be terrors in the playoffs... but they have to GET there: Les A's, Edmonton, Portland, Maroons

You can have the President's Cup

The Oil will be there, 14 former captains in the lineup will make it happen........:handclap:

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
I really like my team as well, definitely my best entry of the three drafts. Great mix of size, speed, talent, and grit. Especially on the back-end. I also have who I consider to be the best goalie of all-time.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I really like my team as well, definitely my best entry of the three drafts. Great mix of size, speed, talent, and grit. Especially on the back-end. I also have who I consider to be the best goalie of all-time.

Your biggest mistake was to take Dominik Hasek instead of Terry Sawchuk. I think the top-3 of Plante, Sawchuk and Roy are alone in their group.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
One thing I know is that I won't be losing any games 2-1. With a great transition game, and incredibly deep offense, putting the puck in the net is not going to be an issue.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Your biggest mistake was to take Dominik Hasek instead of Terry Sawchuk. I think the top-3 of Plante, Sawchuk and Roy are alone in their group.

I don't think you can fault someone for taking Hasek ahead of any goaltender. It's all so subjective, but Hasek was ridiculously dominant. Having seen both play quite a bit, I think he was better than Roy. Hasek was the only opposing goalie I ever was really scared of.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004

I think Hasek is the best goalie in the history of the game, so I wouldn't call that a mistake. He was flat out unbeatable and at a higher level than any goalie has hit. Again, just my opinion.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I disagree with that. You can quite certainly make a case for Hasek, whose best was clearly better than Roy's best.

Also Marty Brodeur says hello ....

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I disagree with that. You can quite certainly make a case for Hasek, whose best was clearly better than Roy's best.

Also Marty Brodeur says hello ....
From an NHL perspective, I disagree. I don't think Hasek ever played as well as Roy did in the 1993 playoffs. You can cite awards and all-star teams all you want, the bottom line is that entering a playoff, who would you rather have? Roy. And Roy was a better leader, too.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
From an NHL perspective, I disagree. I don't think Hasek ever played as well as Roy did in the 1993 playoffs. You can cite awards and all-star teams all you want, the bottom line is that entering a playoff, who would you rather have? Roy. And Roy was a better leader, too.

Hasek in 1999 was the most dominant I have ever seen one player be.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

With Hasek you're never quite sure what you're going to get, he's a bit goofy, I'll readily admit that, but when his head is in the game, he played a different level than Roy.

When people bring up Roy they fail to mention some of his less than spectacular playoffs .. 87, 88, 90, 91, 98

Hasek bested Roy in 2002 ... as well as the 98 Olympics.

I wouldn't list either one as a great leader .... both had the tendance to be selfish whiners.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Hmmmmmm, must be hype your team time.....

I don't even know where to start,

Three Hart Trophy winners on the first line that might just rather hurt you than score on you. The most points in a single game record holder. The most goals in a single game record holder by a defensman. Three freakin Sutters. The most punishing open ice hitter on the blueline ever. The most complete checker ever and they've all come together to kick some serious butt.........

The only way I could love my team more was if I could have snagged Lanny. Sittler, Brian Sutter, Stevens and Jason Smith were all favourite players of mine at one time or the other, very pleased to have been able to select them.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton

Ewwww, Roy a leader? The guy was so arrogant he thought he could handle the puck better then his own defensemen.

He was the leagues biggest game 7 choker ever seen as well.......

Sawchuk hunched over so far his chin touched his knees, ready to pounce with his incredible reflexes. That was the games best ever.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
With Hasek you're never quite sure what you're going to get, he's a bit goofy, I'll readily admit that, but when his head is in the game, he played a different level than Roy.

When people bring up Roy they fail to mention some of his less than spectacular playoffs .. 87, 88, 90, 91, 98

Hasek bested Roy in 2002 ... as well as the 98 Olympics.

I wouldn't list either one as a great leader .... both had the tendance to be selfish whiners.
Your first paragraph summed up so much of why I'd rather have Roy: reliability. You knew what you were going to get from Roy. The same can't be said for Hasek.

When was Roy ever a distraction? About a week during the 1995-96 season when he demanded a trade. When was Hasek a distraction? There was the 1997 playoffs, there was the whole 2003-04 season, and who could ever forget last year's Kindergarten show in Ottawa?

One of Roy's teammates in Colorado referred to Roy as the best leader he has ever seen. Of course, there's that teammate hyperbole kicking in, but if a goalie could wear a letter, Roy definitely would have had one.

Zetterberg4Captain*

For are third goalie Saskatoon is proud to select hall of famer Percy Lesueur.

Zetterberg4Captain*

Your first paragraph summed up so much of why I'd rather have Roy: reliability. You knew what you were going to get from Roy. The same can't be said for Hasek.

When was Roy ever a distraction? About a week during the 1995-96 season when he demanded a trade. When was Hasek a distraction? There was the 1997 playoffs, there was the whole 2003-04 season, and who could ever forget last year's Kindergarten show in Ottawa?

One of Roy's teammates in Colorado referred to Roy as the best leader he has ever seen. Of course, there's that teammate hyperbole kicking in, but if a goalie could wear a letter, Roy definitely would have had one.

Hasek with another play-off shutout today and the games MVP in the clincher! He could possibly have another cup added to his resume (knock on wood) and you can definately not go wrong with either one. To tell you the truth if I was faced with the dilema of choosing one a coin flip would be best!

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Roy won 4 Cups with 4 completely different teams in very different eras and was the MVP for 3 of those wins. I have Hasek and Roy at 1-2 with Roy at number 1. But if Hasek leads the Wings to the Cup this year, that will change :D

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Did LL PM a list? If he didn't, I'm assuming (there's that A-word again) it would be okay if the Speaker made his pick, as long as the Speaker picks a defenceman, since LL has his seven d-men.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Did LL PM a list? If he didn't, I'm assuming (there's that A-word again) it would be okay if the Speaker made his pick, as long as the Speaker picks a defenceman, since LL has his seven d-men.

excuse me young man?

I don't think anyone has left as many pm lists as i have.

im usually at work when my pick is up

Last edited:

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
:leafs select

Goalie Frank McCool

He was a talented enigmatic goalie who was so nervous before every game that he would vomit in between periods. He played just 70 nhl games but lead the Leafs to a stanley cup in 44 -45. He was also a WWII vet

Although the NHL was comprised of just six franchises during this era, it was quite a coup and testament to the Maple Leafs' scouting staff when Toronto enjoyed a third consecutive season with the CALDER TROPHY recipient dressed in blue and white. In 1944-45, Toronto was strapped for goaltending. Regular, Turk Broda, was serving in the military, and would not be available. The previous season, the Maple Leafs made do with 35-year old Benny Grant, who had not played in the NHL in 10 years, and Paul Bibeault, who was on loan from the Montreal Canadiens. But in 1944-45, Montreal refused to allow Bibeault to play a second season for the Leafs, and Grant retired. FRANK McCOOL was discovered playing senior hockey in Calgary Alberta, his hometown, and was signed as a free agent by the Toronto Maple Leafs. McCOOL, nicknamed "Ulcers" because of his nervous condition, joined the Leafs and had a season to dream of. Playing every minute of the 50-game season, McCOOL led Toronto to a third place finish, and led the league in shutouts with four.

FRANK McCOOL earned the honour as the NHL's top rookie, and was awarded the CALDER TROPHY, beating the Bruins' Ken Smith. Sipping milk between periods to settle his troubled stomach, McCOOL gave a clinic in goaltending during the playoffs. After defeating Montreal four games to two in the semi-final, including an opening game shutout, the Leafs faced Detroit in the Stanley Cup finals. FRANK McCOOL collected shutouts in the first three games of the series, and led the Leafs to a Stanley Cup championship.

The next season, McCOOL fought the Leafs over his contract, sitting out early season contests. He finally came to terms, played 22 games only to have Turk Broda return from the Second World War effort.

He retired after just two years because of severe ulcers. Prior to playing pro, McCool played two seasons for Gonzaga University. In 1945 McCool became the first goaltender in NHL history to record an assist of a goal.

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
excuse me?

I don't think anyone has left as many pm lists as i have.

im usually at work when my pick is up
Actually, I think pappy would be the draft leader for PM'ed lists. I would say that more than half of his picks have been announced through the PM. #66 and EagleBelfour have seemingly gone through that route a lot, too.

I think I've had five or six picks announced via PM.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
WHEN AND HOW TO APOLOGIZE
One key to getting along well with people is knowing when to say you're sorry. Sometimes little comments or actions can hurt or offend others. Heavy workloads and stress may keep us from seeing how our actions make others feel. The little things can add up. It doesn't take long for someone to hold a grudge and for grudges to grow into conflicts. In most cases, if someone is offended by something you do or say, it's much better to apologize right away. That solves the small problem and keeps it from getting bigger.
It's hard to apologize. Many of us are ashamed or have too much pride. Sometimes we just don't know how to do it. Here are some tips that may make it easier to say you're sorry.

Take responsibility. The first step in apologizing is to admit to yourself that you have offended someone. You may know this right away, or the other person's reaction may let you know you have done something hurtful. But you must admit you have done wrong and accept responsibility for your actions.

Explain. It's important to let the person you hurt know that you didn't mean to do harm. At the same time, you must show that you take your mistake seriously. Recognize that your actions caused a problem for the other person.

Show your regret. The other person needs to see that you have suffered, too. Come right out and say you are sorry or ashamed. I felt bad the minute I told your secret. I'm ashamed of myself.

Repair the damage. To be complete, an apology must correct the injury. If you damaged someone's property, offer to fix it. If the damage isn't so obvious, ask What can I do to make it up to you? There may be nothing concrete you can do, but the offer must be sincere. I'll try to keep my mouth shut in the future. Meantime, let me buy you a cup of coffee. Another way to repair the damage is to send a note or a small gift.

Use good timing. Apologize right away for little things. For example, if you bump into someone, say you're sorry right away. Don't wait until the next day to apologize. However, if you have done something more serious, like insult a friend, your apology should be more thoughtful. A quick apology might seem phony. Take the time to sit down, look the person in the eye, and apologize honestly.

It's not about who "won" or who "lost." It's about keeping a strong friendship

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Happy we talk about goaltenders a bit, as it's my favourite position to talk and learn about. Just for fun, I would like everyone who participate in the draft to name who they think his the best goaltender of all-time (or who they would take N.1 in this draft). You can give your opinion, but it's not needed. You can only give a name if you wish so.

So far, from the previous, I can say that:

4- Jacques Plante (EagleBelfour, God Bless Canada, Hockey Outsider, pitseleh)
3- Terry Sawchuk (Murphy2, Brett_Lebda, Wisent)
2- Dominik Hasek (HankyFourFinger, pnep)
1- Patrick Roy (Spitfire11)

I'll update this post whenever someone give his answer.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad