All-Time Draft #7, Part IV

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Seattle is proud to add some toughness and skill, in RW Gary Dornhoefer.
Solid, solid pick. I gave Dornhoefer a very long look for my fourth line RW spot. I was even starting to enter his name when, at the last second, I decided to go with Paiement instead. Decided that both guys would give my team lots of toughness, but Paiement would give us a little more speed and significantly more offence. And in our organization, you have to be able to put up points if you're a forward.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
You know considering that (thought it was Ron) it'd almost be fun for us at the end to draft a broadcast team too ;) Clearly your victories and defeate would NOT be determined by said broadcast team. It'd just be fun.

Foster Hewitt calling a game with Pierre for example.

I select Bob Cole and Pierre McGuire as my play-by-play team, and they will bring unrivalled excitement to Aurora Tigers games.

"Who just scored? Why did the whistle blow? Which team is getting the penalty?"

"Who cares, Bob. Did you see the dump-in that guy just made? Talk about a big-time play. He identified the centre line, and WHAMMO!, sends a perfect diagonal dump into the corner. This guy brings it game in and game out. His minor peewee coach Larry Smith back in Coldwater, Ontario should take a bow. This guy's a monster, his effort quotient is through the roof..."

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
LOL McGuire standing in the box doing commentary during the game is the most unintentionally funny thing in hockey since the shootout.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
The Las Vegas Thunder snap up two of the best:

Dave Hodge got fired from CBC for criticizing on air (in disgust) the network's decision to cut away from an ongoing overtime game to "other programming"... I was watching and instead of getting angry I nodded and said 'yeah, you show 'em!" as he was expressing our feelings, diffusing our frustration. Liked Hodge before that, loved him ever since.

And John Davidson was great every time. Sure miss him from Satellite Hotstove.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
The Vancouver Canucks snap up their own Jim Robson quickly and while he would at first be resentful of a colour commentator the Canucks select Don Cherry and at the very least uncover the secrets of the opposition!

PS. VanIslander those are two crap picks, I mean Dave Hodge was never that good and he was pretty well past his prime when his escapades were put on the air. Plus was he really ever a play by play guy? I always thought he was a colour commentator, once again a dreadful pick on your part! ;)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
All right, so can I have mullin as my PBP guy? If not, then I hire Chris Cuthbert to handle our play-by-play duties. Quite possibly the best "big game" commentator in the sport today.

As for my colour man, I select: me. Two years of colour commentary experience with local cable with the local Junior A team.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Solid, solid pick. I gave Dornhoefer a very long look for my fourth line RW spot. I was even starting to enter his name when, at the last second, I decided to go with Paiement instead. Decided that both guys would give my team lots of toughness, but Paiement would give us a little more speed and significantly more offence. And in our organization, you have to be able to put up points if you're a forward.
I'm glad to get Dornhoefer as well, I can't decide whether to roll with him or Steen on the third line, it will probably depend on the team I am facing, if I have to play against Nalyd's team I will likely play both and sit Williams to avoid that PP crew he's got, but it'll be a tough call.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
One of the best CFL broadcasters I've ever heard: he knows his football.
Agreed. Always enjoyed his work over the others that the CBC would give us for the CFL, especially Don Williams, who I found to be rather, well, boring.

CBC made a big mistake when they let Cuthbert go. After Ron MacLean, he might have been their most versatile, well-rounded broadcaster for CBC Sports.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Agreed. Always enjoyed his work over the others that the CBC would give us for the CFL, especially Don Williams, who I found to be rather, well, boring.

CBC made a big mistake when they let Cuthbert go. After Ron MacLean, he might have been their most versatile, well-rounded broadcaster for CBC Sports.
Truer words have never been spoken, picking up Cuthbert was a boon for TSN.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Truer words have never been spoken, picking up Cuthbert was a boon for TSN.
The other guy whose work I enjoy: Paul Romaniuk. A bit of a cheerleader for Hockey Canada, but I won't complain about that. Some of my fondest hockey memories are Romaniuk's calls for Canadian international hockey victories, especially the "Drive for Five" in the mid-1990s and the 1994 "It Is Over" call when Canada won the World Championship in 1994. (He also used that "It Is Over" line when Oshawa beat Kitchener in a marathon OT game in the final of the 1990 Memorial Cup).

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I'll take the Canucks playoff duo, good ole Jimmy Hughson, and of course, the always entertaining, (take your pick on the definition ;) ) Harry Neale.

"What a save by the Winnipeg goalie, Luongo. Or is that Esposito?"
"Actually Harry, that's Kirk McLean."

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
I didn't realize how much Pierre Pilote looks like Norm McDonald.

And I'll take the "Boom goes the dynamite" kid of youtube fame for my play by play guy and Vince Van Patten as my color commentator

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'll take Dan Kelly, with tjust the slightest of nods over Gene Hart. For my color guy ... give me Howie Meeker .... I attended his hockey camps from age 8-14. Tremendous.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Montreal selects as our 13th forward a speedy centre who will work well as an insurance guy on any of our bottom three lines. A little on the small side, and probably a bit of a sentimental pick, but we really wanted him as our 13th forward. Montreal selects C Cliff Ronning.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Now for some details on my previous two picks - Andrey Khomutov & Vyacheslav Bykov

Vyacheslav Bykov

Played for Traktor Chelyabinsk from 1979-80 to 1982-83 He then moved onto the Soviet Red Army team and played with them through the 89-90 season. He then played the next 8 seasons for HC Fribourg-Gottéron in the German league, before finishing up his final two seasons in Switzerland

World Championships Gold (83, 86, 88, 89 and 93)
Olympic Gold (88, 92)

Bykov finished as the 5th overall scorer in the 87 Canada Cup with 9 points in 9 games.

http://www.chidlovski.net/1954/54_player_info.asp?p_id=b023

Andrei Khomutov

Played both left and right win, on bykov's line for the better part of 15 years. Their line of Komutov - Bykov - Kamensy absolutely gave Canada fits during the 1987 Canada Cup

Khomutov played on the Soviet Red Army team from 1979-90 and then played with HC Fribourg-Gottéron in the German league from 1990-98.

1981 Canada Cup
1984, 88, 92 Olympic Gold Medals
World Championship Gold 1981, 82, 83, 86, 89, 93
Soviet League MVP in 1990
Soviet League leading goal score in 1988

The two will play with fellow countrymen Sergei Makarov to form one of the more dynamic and skilled lines in the ATD League

Some highlights:

1987 Canada Cup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XL9ELizzP0&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcg3Ns2kgVg&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rg_-JwlN-o&mode=related&search=

Bykov - Khomutov playing for HC Fribourg-Gottéron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70po2VpKJwI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTmbUNhv1z0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6QN5IS2amQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaoUH7ac_t0

Randezvous 87

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpzUDpsW5SM

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
With the 596th selection in this draft, the Detroit Falcons are proud to select, as our extra defenseman, a swift skater with great offensive skills, who was described as: ‘‘a firebrand hurtling down the ice or like a shell just fired from a big British gun.’’ A two time Stanley Cup winner: D/W George ‘‘Goldie’’ Prodgers

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=14049

His 1920-21 season with the Hamilton Tigers is one of the most impressive offensive season ever made by a defenseman.

EDIT: I don't have any info about his heights/weights/jersey/which side he shoots. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
All right, so can I have mullin as my PBP guy? If not, then I hire Chris Cuthbert to handle our play-by-play duties. Quite possibly the best "big game" commentator in the sport today.

As for my colour man, I select: me. Two years of colour commentary experience with local cable with the local Junior A team.

I see you've corrected your mistake! :(

cmon, the Mullin/GBC duo would set Trail on fire... that or the smelter.

Incidently I whole heartedly object to the choice of Dave Hodge as our play by play guy. He can be the third man in a 3-man booth if Van wants. I want Mike Lang damnit. It's Vegas, he fits Vegas peeerfectly.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE shootsandscores

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm glad to get Dornhoefer as well, I can't decide whether to roll with him or Steen on the third line, it will probably depend on the team I am facing, if I have to play against Nalyd's team I will likely play both and sit Williams to avoid that PP crew he's got, but it'll be a tough call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxRM50ZEJ0

Dorny's goal at the 1:15 mark in OT is memoralized outside the Spectrum.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The Trail Smoke Eaters are pleased to make a pick that, from our perspective, is a no-brainer. We believe he will be an excellent No. 7 defenceman, a good combination of offensive and defensive ability, and physical play. He played the best hockey of his career in the 1972 Summit Series, and we know he'll be a great No. 7 because he admirably filled that role for us in the last draft:

D Gary Bergman​

Career highlights:

*Played some of the best hockey of his career to help Canada win the 1972 Summit Series.
*Inducted into the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame in 2005.
*Co-winner of the 1973 Charlie Conacher Humanitarian Award.
*A solid two-way defenceman who could scored 35 points or more five times. Also tallied over 1,200 PIMs in 800-game career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->