Speculation: All things Spezza Round II - This time it's business!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You're right, he was better. 2 seasons before his trade he had a 100+ point season. As the Bruins traded him away he was on pace for 30+ goals, 80+ assists and he finished the season with 96 assists.

Thornton's best season in assists is higher than Spezza's career year with Heatley and Alfredsson.

Calling Cheechoo a one hit wonder is a little misleading; he scored 28 from the 3rd line with 2nd unit PP time. The guy was an up and coming goal scorer who had injury derail his career.

This is the type of glorification of Thornton that had people thinking Heatley would score 60 on his line.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Staal, Brassard, Nash for Spezza and Greening?

Call me crazy, but that almost looks like it could be workable with a few tweaks of prospects/picks.

Real salaries:
NYR--Nash 7.9 MM, Brassard RFA (coming off of a 3.7 MM pay this past season), Staal 3.975 MM

Sens--Spezza 4 MM, Greening 2 MM (moving up a lot from there)

Assuming Brassard's pay stays the same (hahaha), the salary in would be 15.575, and the salary out would be 6. That means we absorb 10 MM in extra salary next season from this deal. I think that is why it looks good for our team from a hockey perspective but, um.....no.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
I straight-up hate that return for Spezza. There's only the tiniest shred of hope of one of those assets becoming an impact player. Blues make that trade every day of the week.

If Spezza goes to the Blues I'd want at least Oshie or Schwartz coming back. People seem high on Shattenkirk, but I'd want to aim higher.

.........you might get schwartz but Spezza isn't worth either of the other two straight up....

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
Real salaries:
NYR--Nash 7.9 MM, Brassard RFA (coming off of a 3.7 MM pay this past season), Staal 3.975 MM

Assuming Brassard's pay stays the same (hahaha), the salary in would be 15.575, and the salary out would be 6. That means we absorb 10 MM in extra salary next season from this deal. I think that is why it looks good for our team from a hockey perspective but, um.....no.

remember when we were overbudget this season when we were like 10 million under the cap? that is definitely not happening lol

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Spezza should be held and if wereout of it dealt at the deadline.....I for one will be happy when he's gone addition by subtraction in my eyes....especially if we can get a compitent two way winger or a top four defenseman back as part of the package...but I think we have to give this group a chance with a full season and full offseason for Spezza and Karlson where there at 100%.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Kovalchuck is gone from the league... (great trade deadline pickup)

Hossa is NOT a PPG player (was signed and traded without anyone knowing, was NOT made available on the market)

Heatley is NOT a PPG player (and chose the team he went to and therefore was NOT 'available' on the market)

St. Louis is NOT a PPG player (and asked for a trade near the deadline at 38 YEARS OLD)

He's not talking about RIGHT NOW, he's talking about at the time they were traded, which they were/very close to PPG.
They also have more intangibles and are stronger in other areas of their game aside from putting up numbers (which there is nothing wrong with).

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
.........you might get schwartz but Spezza isn't worth either of the other two straight up....

Actually I am pretty sure Schwartz has the most value of that group

Spezza should be held and if wereout of it dealt at the deadline.....I for one will be happy when he's gone addition by subtraction in my eyes....especially if we can get a compitent two way winger or a top four defenseman back as part of the package...but I think we have to give this group a chance with a full season and full offseason for Spezza and Karlson where there at 100%.

Agreed, we don't need a frigging Berglund, if we don't get anything good keep him and try to make the playoffs, I believe this group isn't THAT bad. I don't want frigging spare parts.

Go big or go home

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Its a berglund+ package or nothing for Spezza. He doesn't want to be here.

Last edited:

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009

By doing that, you eliminate bids from all of the teams that are out of it. And if he's injured, you get nothing. All of that so you can have a disgruntled distraction for part of the season?

And did you see the trade values at this past deadline?

You trade him in the next 2 weeks for whatever you can get. He's not going to re-sign here. It's time to move on.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He's not talking about RIGHT NOW, he's talking about at the time they were traded, which they were/very close to PPG.
They also have more intangibles and are stronger in other areas of their game aside from putting up numbers (which there is nothing wrong with).

My bad.... I really liked Kovalchuk, hell of a player.

Its a berglund+ package or nothing for Soezza. He doesn't want to be here.

Wrong.

If there isn't a good trade Spezza for Murray to accept he would play for Ottawa this upcoming season and be as good as he's always been. This is NOT a trade demand scenario where the player is disgruntled and wants out stat. He has apparently indicated that given the direction of the team, he will not be re-signing, and that he would look favourably on a trade. there is no demand there, no animosity, and no forced hand. He is openly available to the league, and there is no reason to rush a trade.

Lot's of players don't want to be here, and lot's of player don't want to come here, deal with it. When teams are on the upswing it attracts vets and established players, when a team is on the downswing or rebuilding, those players leave in return for developing assets and the circle continues. No need to get you panties in a bunch, Alfie did the same thing last year as well, except we got nothing for him.

And now your bias is getting in the way of your fantasy trade returns. You guys know no limits!! Hahaha

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
We are losing at least 2/3 of our top line.. Forwards wouldn't be bad. Not like we can't acquire defense later on

We suffered because of our backend last season, not our forwards. We produced one of the highest scoring teams in the league. I honestly believe Turris will improve more this season, so will Zibanejad, with Lazar coming we are strong down the center.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
By doing that, you eliminate bids from all of the teams that are out of it. And if he's injured, you get nothing. All of that so you can have a disgruntled distraction for part of the season?

And did you see the trade values at this past deadline?

You trade him in the next 2 weeks for whatever you can get. He's not going to re-sign here. It's time to move on.

Thank you for the added dose of rationality. I don't know where the idea of trading Spezza at the deadline came from (well, actually I do, but whatever), but the idea is pure hogwash. It is a high risk for no reward scenario. Thankfully, BM knows better than to take that type of approach.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
We suffered because of our backend last season, not our forwards. We produced one of the highest scoring teams in the league. I honestly believe Turris will improve more this season, so will Zibanejad, with Lazar coming we are strong down the center.

Our forwards cheated, (exception of MTR line) no support for D on the breakout = no execution = turnover = goal against = blame it on defense.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
My bad.... I really liked Kovalchuk, hell of a player.

Wrong.

If there isn't a good trade Spezza for Murray to accept he would play for Ottawa this upcoming season and be as good as he's always been. This is NOT a trade demand scenario where the player is disgruntled and wants out stat. He has apparently indicated that given the direction of the team, he will not be re-signing, and that he would look favourably on a trade. there is no demand there, no animosity, and no forced hand. He is openly available to the league, and there is no reason to rush a trade.

Lot's of players don't want to be here, and lot's of player don't want to come here, deal with it. When teams are on the upswing it attracts vets and established players, when a team is on the downswing or rebuilding, those players leave in return for developing assets and the circle continues. No need to get you panties in a bunch, Alfie did the same thing last year as well, except we got nothing for him.

And now your bias is getting in the way of your fantasy trade returns. You guys know no limits!! Hahaha
You know he's a season away from being a UFA? Right?

Spezza doesn't want to be here. If he doesn't get traded, he just walks as a UFA.

shibster

Dec 5, 2005

People have a very strange concept of "value" on these boards... the fact is that Spezza is a much better player than any of those three that I mentioned. I don't actually want him traded for these players, it's just a less horrible return than Random Career Tweener, Random Limited-Potential Offensive Prospect and a late first round pick in a crappy draft.

Do people on this board actually think that we could acquire a first line center for Vermette (had to go back in Sens history to find a player comparable to Berglund), Stone and a first? If that was all it took you wouldn't have teams like Toronto that go a decade between legit first line centers.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Real salaries:

Staal makes $5,450,000 not $3.7 so it would be $17.05M in.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
All you chaps worried about Berglund at centre

The Blues fans seem to agree that he'd be fine, even maybe better, at wing even if he isn't the speediest skater. The injury is a concern but let's not go overboard either: people have come back from them. He'll have something to prove if the shoulder held him back last season and that could play well.

I'm not as down as some of you are him: he's a decent 2nd liner and solid 3rd liner who can maybe play centre or wing so it gives us good flexibility which we will need.

Berglund + Shattenkirk would be really solid and I hope Murray goes for it, especially since we can afford to let Weircioch go

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Our forwards cheated, (exception of MTR line) no support for D on the breakout = no execution = turnover = goal against = blame it on defense.

I know exactly what happened last season... when we got hemmed in, we needed one more defender to not crap their pants.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Thank you for the added dose of rationality. I don't know where the idea of trading Spezza at the deadline came from (well, actually I do, but whatever), but the idea is pure hogwash. It is a high risk for no reward scenario. Thankfully, BM knows better than to take that type of approach.

Yeah, for sure. In addition, I expect Murray will be the first or second trade out of the gate during the next two weeks. The first trades will be the biggest, after that teams will decide they missed their guy or think the returns are too high. I predict this will happen fast.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
All you chaps worried about Berglund at centre

The Blues fans seem to agree that he'd be fine, even maybe better, at wing even if he isn't the speediest skater. The injury is a concern but let's not go overboard either: people have come back from them. He'll have something to prove if the shoulder held him back last season and that could play well.

I'm not as down as some of you are him: he's a decent 2nd liner and solid 3rd liner who can maybe play centre or wing so it gives us good flexibility which we will need.

Berglund + Shattenkirk would be really solid and I hope Murray goes for it, especially since we can afford to let Weircioch go

If Shatt is in sure

If it's Berglund Rattie then it ****ing sucks. Also I really do not like Berglund, 32pts last year playing on the Blues and his production on the last years is meeeeeh, for a guy like Spezz. Well I'll wait and see but if this is real I'll be sad, Shattenkirk would be ok

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
http://nilsenreport.ca/2014/06/14/report-jason-spezza-never-actually-asked-to-be-traded/

No idea how reliable Bonksmullet is but he claims that this whole thing isn't as one-sided as management is making it seem

Spezza may have asked for a commitment from the team or to be given the chance to play elsewhere instead of simply wanting out

The budget strikes again (if this is true and I find it much more believable than Spezza just asking for a trade after a rough year)

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
http://nilsenreport.ca/2014/06/14/report-jason-spezza-never-actually-asked-to-be-traded/

No idea how reliable Bonksmullet is but he claims that this whole thing isn't as one-sided as management is making it seem

Spezza may have asked for a commitment from the team or to be given the chance to play elsewhere instead of simply wanting out

The budget strikes again (if this is true and I find it much more believable than Spezza just asking for a trade after a rough year)

The reliability of that falls on Bray May's hands.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I know exactly what happened last season... when we got hemmed in, we needed one more defender to not crap their pants.

But for some reason, they didn't do that when the MTR line was on. Perhaps because they were getting the support...

I think it really comes down to no one group of players can be blamed (though Michalek and Spezza were really really rough looking for the first half).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad