OT: All things Game of Thrones thread (SPOILERS INSIDE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Never heard of it.

oprah.gif

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Battlestar Galactica is the classic example of a great series that did incredible groundbreaking things, then had an incredibly slow lagging period, recovered, then ended in WTF land.

Reactions: sigma six

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Was such a great show. I didn't watch it when it was running, definitely had several more seasons in it.

I'm generally on board with not reading a series until it's done. Rothfus, Martin, and Butcher's long layoffs bug me. Unfortunately, I did start reading Corey's Expanse series and now I'm caught up in that. Fortunately Corey's actually two authors so the books are coming regularly, and there's only one left. Also started Scalzi's Collapsing Empire trilogy. They're different enough, and Scalzi's sense of humor comes through in some of the characters.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Was such a great show. I didn't watch it when it was running, definitely had several more seasons in it.

I'm generally on board with not reading a series until it's done. Rothfus, Martin, and Butcher's long layoffs bug me. Unfortunately, I did start reading Corey's Expanse series and now I'm caught up in that. Fortunately Corey's actually two authors so the books are coming regularly, and there's only one left. Also started Scalzi's Collapsing Empire trilogy. They're different enough, and Scalzi's sense of humor comes through in some of the characters.

I noticed a lot of authors these days are slow to churn books out

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I haven't read the books, but I watched the first two seasons of "The Expanse" and it's really good.

Reactions: Ruck Over

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015
I haven't read the books, but I watched the first two seasons of "The Expanse" and it's really good.

The books are quite good. "Low" Sci-fi, all perfectly plausible given what we know at the moment. I hate Holden, but mostly because I think he's about as intelligent as the Flyers' last coach. Love the rest of the main characters. The writing and plot are really strong. Lost a little going to TV, but that's not unexpected.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
American Gods, twas a great book, is a fun show, and a decent comic book. I'm impressed how the tv show is being stretched out from one book. Read the follow-up, Anansi's Boys, it was ok, different and not as good. Neil Gaiman- thumbs up.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Battlestar Galactica is the classic example of a great series that did incredible groundbreaking things, then had an incredibly slow lagging period, recovered, then ended in WTF land.

Whereas I think Breaking Bad and GoT haven’t even had the lag. Some may disagree but the strength of those two is that it has just gone from strength to strength.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Whereas I think Breaking Bad and GoT haven’t even had the lag. Some may disagree but the strength of those two is that it has just gone from strength to strength.

I think it took too long to get Dany back to Westeros. That's a weakness in the source material as well. But yeah, Breaking Bad is GOAT. I even like the fly episode.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I think it took too long to get Dany back to Westeros. That's a weakness in the source material as well. But yeah, Breaking Bad is GOAT. I even like the fly episode.

Getting Dany to Westeros earlier would have been too quick. Dragons are OP.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I can't go "really good". It's ok.

As some other have said, I don't see how it gets better than GOT and Breaking Bad. I thought season 7 of GOT was rushed...but one of the best effects seasons.

I also greatly enjoy Better call Saul, slow burn show...but really good.

Reactions: RANKKA

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Getting Dany to Westeros earlier would have been too quick. Dragons are OP.
Why did it take Sam so long to get to Old Town? Pacing related question, not arguing dragons being OP, they are for obvious narrative purposes.

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015
One fantasy series that's done and I found enjoyable was the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erickson/Ian C. Esselmont. The main series is ten books long, and there's a second that's I think 6. It took me a little while to get a feel for how the world worked, and it made the first book rather "bulky" feeling, but afterwards I had no issues. There are more books set in the world coming out, but both primary series are complete. The main series tends to move backwards and forwards in time, while the second is much more linear.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
BRRRR! I feel the chill …...countdown to GOT on Sunday

The show is expected to be seen by more than one billion across 170 countries

.....The Battle Of Winterfell, a showdown between the White Walkers and humans, is set to top the Emmy award-winning Battle Of The B******* from season six by being one of the longest and most expensive battles in television history.

The episode is reported to last for 90 minutes and to reunite main characters including Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen, Tyrion Lannister as well as faces not seen since the first episode.

There are also at least five Game Of Thrones prequels in the works, and last year it was announced that HBO is to make a pilot for one of them.

It's been co-created by Jonathan Ross's wife Jane Goldman – whose writing credits include the X-Men and Kingsman films – and George RR Martin, author of the books on which Game Of Thrones is based.

The synopsis says, 'The series chronicles the world's descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour.
'And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros's history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend... it's not the story we think we know.'

A tease yes, but HBO president Casey Bloys also said, 'It will feel different but still Game Of Thrones.
'It's 8,000 years before, so it's a very different setting, a very different time in Westeros.'

Game Of Thrones set for more than one billion viewers worldwide as the final series airs next week | Daily Mail Online

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
watch a thon week is on comcast now. also hbo 2 is airing got every day, 1 season per day,up until sundays new season start. for anyone with comcast or hbo.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Can anyone tell me if it's safe to backread? I love talking theories/backstories, but I don't want any supposed leaks or anything rumored to be tainting my watching experience. I need pure bargain bin GRRM wanna be HBO written drama on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad