OT: All things Game of Thrones thread (SPOILERS INSIDE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I had the entire last season spoiled for me months before the season aired.

Every single thing happened that they said except for one thing that I imagine will happen early in this season.

So be careful out there reading ANYTHING.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I've been doing a rewatch of the series in prep for the final season and it is really remarkable how many great moments there are in this show. There is this kind of languishing part of the show where you want more things to happen, like when Dany is wandering the desert like Moses or when Arya is doing her godawful training and torture at the hands of the Faceless Men. But you can't deny that the payoffs haven't been incredible.

Reactions: VladDrag

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
giphy.gif

Reactions: landsbergfan

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I enjoy the show a lot, the books more. I'm just ready for the show to be over. Broadcast the 6 episodes, and then finally maybe Martin will publish the damn books, Winds of Winter & A Dream of Spring. On the previous page, I've already shared my thoughts about how the show is coming to a kinda sloppy conclusion.

But I love scrapple, I shouldn't complain on how it's made if I still eat the stuff.

Reactions: VladDrag

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
I enjoy the show a lot, the books more. I'm just ready for the show to be over. Broadcast the 6 episodes, and then finally maybe Martin will publish the damn books, Winds of Winter & A Dream of Spring. On the previous page, I've already shared my thoughts about how the show is coming to a kinda sloppy conclusion.

But I love scrapple, I shouldn't complain on how it's made if I still eat the stuff.

I love the books as well, but every time I go to start reading them again, I just can't finish them knowing that the book series will more than likely never be finished and everyone will think of TV GoT as the actual Game of Thrones.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
I read the first 3 books back in 2003.

is it worth rereading and catching up?

I still have to catch on wheel of time. I read the first 11 back in 2002.
I've never starting a series again until its finished.

I've gotten into classics over the years. it's been hard to return to these Tolkien roots.

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
I was off from work a lot around the holidays and binge watched the first 7 series in about a month. I’ve been getting a lot of the background from YouTube videos lately and can’t wait to start reading the books soon.

Reactions: Carter Hart

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I wonder when they will come out with another GOT show after this one is finished. Hopefully they don't wait so long.
Didn't the two guys that created the show recently sign to make Star Wars movies or something? If so that's probably going to be their focus for a while.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I love the books as well, but every time I go to start reading them again, I just can't finish them knowing that the book series will more than likely never be finished and everyone will think of TV GoT as the actual Game of Thrones.
The 6th book is already completed, Winds of Winter, and Martin recently said he's happy with his progress for the 7th book- A Dream of Spring.

He's sky rocketed in popularity and probably let a good amount of that fame get to his head. All the little things he's been able to partake in because of the TV show, I don't blame him for coasting. That said, my conspiracy theory is that he's waiting for the tv show to end before publishing his last books. That's so he has the definitive last word on any story narrative.

I read the first 3 books back in 2003.

is it worth rereading and catching up?

I still have to catch on wheel of time. I read the first 11 back in 2002.
I've never starting a series again until its finished.

I've gotten into classics over the years. it's been hard to return to these Tolkien roots.
I recommend the books, #obvi. Martin's writing is consistently wonderful through the series. The books are more in depth, and have more surprises. The nuance is much richer than the tv show.

Wheel of Time... I finished that series, it was worth it in the end. Sanderson did a good job of filling in for Jordan, and while there were some tonal differences, I appreciated Sanderson not writing for a half a page about the color of trim and transition of fabric types when describing a dress. If you remember the story, it is worth finishing.

I concur with not starting a series until it is finished. The Sword of Truth got me, I hate read so much of that, just to finish it out.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
The 6th book is already completed, Winds of Winter, and Martin recently said he's happy with his progress for the 7th book- A Dream of Spring.

He's sky rocketed in popularity and probably let a good amount of that fame get to his head. All the little things he's been able to partake in because of the TV show, I don't blame him for coasting. That said, my conspiracy theory is that he's waiting for the tv show to end before publishing his last books. That's so he has the definitive last word on any story narrative.

I recommend the books, #obvi. Martin's writing is consistently wonderful through the series. The books are more in depth, and have more surprises. The nuance is much richer than the tv show.

Wheel of Time... I finished that series, it was worth it in the end. Sanderson did a good job of filling in for Jordan, and while there were some tonal differences, I appreciated Sanderson not writing for a half a page about the color of trim and transition of fabric types when describing a dress. If you remember the story, it is worth finishing.

I concur with not starting a series until it is finished. The Sword of Truth got me, I hate read so much of that, just to finish it out.

the last 3 or 4 that i read i found excruciating in parts.... wheel of time

i think shadow rising, winters heart,
i think it was winters heart where only 2 days in the story occurred.... or maybe it was the previous one..... or both

point - i wouldn't miss jordan;s writing

he was clearly extending the story to stretch the profits

Reactions: Ruck Over

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Yep. It's an actual real-life tragedy, no joke. We've never seen something like this in popular culture before.

I'll never begrudge the show, because those guys have done a very good job with the nearly impossible task of bringing that story to the screen. It's just ultimately not their fault. The fact that the books are so great just exacerbates how much I resent him for not getting them done.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Also Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss are supposed to be good as is as much friends swear to Monster Hunter International series by Larry Correia

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Also Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss are supposed to be good as is as much friends swear to Monster Hunter International series by Larry Correia

That is one of the most overrated things I have ever read. If you consider how much praise it gets, and how far it falls short of deserving it, I would give it about a score of around 50% on the Dan Brown Scoring Scale. I will explain.

Everyone was reading "Da Vinci Code" and a lot of people told me to read it. It is garbage. Total garbage. This is well-known. As a matter of hype vs deserving praise, Dan Brown would be either 100% or 0% - I'm terrible at math, but you see what I mean - it's the biggest divergence between the hype it got and the hype it deserved. (The only other book I can think of which deserves the kind of derision Dan Brown deserves is "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius," [and even typing that out makes me want to puke hydrochloric acid] but because it is less mainstream than Dan Brown, the hype was more limited - "Wicked," which the play is based on, is similar in the sense that it is terrible, but the book had limited hype.)

That Rothfuss series is one of these strange cases in fantasy where it isn't badly written from a stylistic perspective, but the decision-making of the author is so ... I don't even know how to explain it. The only thing I can say is that it baffles me how so many people can be so excited by it - it's just not very good on any level, as a story, while not being written terribly. That's why I say it's a 50% on the Dan Brown Scoring Scale - it's not terrible writing, but the story itself is just so ****ing meh. And the protagonist is almost totally unlikable.

Definitely don't start it until you see that the third book is out - it's not worth waiting for.

Reactions: Chinatown88

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I have a few Black Company books, and loved them, but for the life of me I’m not sure if I read them in order. It’s so confusing.
On the note of disappointing on going series. E. E. Knight has a slightly futuristic, post apocalyptic “vampire” series, Vampire Earth. I read about 6 of them and they were great but the 7th I swear was written by a ghost writer that was unable to match his style of writing. On top of that, about 3/5th of the way through the book, the last chapter was incorrectly placed and gave a major plot spoiler. Total let down.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
This show has managed to kill all my enthusiasm. I would have been shocked to hear that after season 4

These writers simply suck without george's material

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
This show has managed to kill all my enthusiasm. I would have been shocked to hear that after season 4

These writers simply suck without george's material
You have to give them a little slack. There were like 700 characters in the novels, that they managed to merge a bunch together. Then they had to craft a story using someone else’s idea with said amount of characters, into a coherent thing.
The walking dead has like 12 characters and their writers can’t do it, while having source material to borrow from.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Some point around the 5th book I decided GRRM was a fat f*** and would die before he finished so I didn't devote any more time to it. I'm happy with how the show has developed, mostly.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
You have to give them a little slack. There were like 700 characters in the novels, that they managed to merge a bunch together. Then they had to craft a story using someone else’s idea with said amount of characters, into a coherent thing.
The walking dead has like 12 characters and their writers can’t do it, while having source material to borrow from.

I certainly understand how hard the task they were given is. For that, i certainly give them slack.

HOWEVER, the show clearly lost the quality of writing starting in Season 5 and it's just been worse and worse. Again, understandably, tough situation for the writers and GRRM's inability to progress the novels screwed them... but at this point it's basically 2 shows. GRRM's story which is special, and the second half a mediocre extension of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad