OT: All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part XII - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I’d support opening golf courses in the suburbs but the two in the city must stay closed.

If those in the city were to open, it will put my mother at risk not only from a health standpoint but from a property standpoint.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I’d support opening golf courses in the suburbs but the two in the city must stay closed.

If those in the city were to open, it will put my mother at risk not only from a health standpoint but from a property standpoint.

I've yet to hear a credible argument as to why golf courses should be closed. Obviously it's a selfish point I'm making, but nevertheless their closure is silly. Fine to close clubhouses or shops, but courses should be open, IMO.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The economic toll from this virus spreading rapidly in so far lightly touched regions would be 1000 times more devastating than if we dedicated 1-2 trillion in stimulus specifically to private citizens and leaders banded together to get everyone to do a couple months of lockdown.

Not really looking to have an argument based on the Constitution and what is technically allowed. Perhaps there is great merit in that argument on the conservative side of the aisle. I’m just stating things from a pure capitalism/economic standpoint.

Lots of people are worried about government intrusion assuming that it is directly responsible for the economic decline. Markets/people adjust to the environment. If the government doesn’t make a call, individuals do only once it is far worse.

The economic impact is felt regardless of whether governments decide to lock up, albeit under a different time frame. The greatest risk for devastation is if people don’t take any precautions whatsoever which a large group of this country seems prepared to do. Lots of people view the concept of wearing a face covering as fascism and an infringement on their liberty. With that mindset so prevalent, there has to be some level of guidance and authority based on factual and objective science, no?

Reactions: Salem13

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I've yet to hear a credible argument as to why golf courses should be closed. Obviously it's a selfish point I'm making, but nevertheless their closure is silly. Fine to close clubhouses or shops, but courses should be open, IMO.

I imagine this will be one of the first things allowed to reopen, along with recreational areas in general. Hopefully by the middle of the month.

And hopefully there are rules in place that prevent a crush of consumers from the inevitable onslaught of people trying to get to the course for the first time in months.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Hoping to stem coronavirus, Baker issues order requiring masks in public for all Mass. residents - The Boston Globe

Governor Charlie Baker issued an order Friday requiring everyone in Massachusetts to wear a face covering in public — including in businesses, outdoors, or on public transportation — if they’re unable to socially distance themselves from other people.
The order will go into effect Wednesday, adding to the raft of directives the Republican governor has issued in a bid to slow the spread of COVID-19.
“Covering our faces when we cannot practice social distancing is an easy, critically important, and essential step that everyone can and should take to stop or slow the spread” of the virus, Baker said at a State House news conference.

The order states that violators “may” face a fine up to $300, but Baker is expected to leave enforcement up to local officials, who up until now have been issuing a patchwork of rules for face coverings throughout the state.
People will have to cover their nose and mouth if they’re unable to keep a six-foot distance from others. The requirement for a face covering — which can range from a bandanna or T-shirt to a homemade or painter’s mask — would not apply to children two years of age and younger or those with medical issues that would otherwise prevent them from wearing a mask. Baker said the Department of Health would develop guidelines for children 2 to 5 years old.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
If you want to open any courses up, do it in the suburbs. The ones in Boston must stay closed.

At one of the golf courses in the city the tee boxes are very close to the back yards of residents and can become crowded even with staggered start times.

There is also an issue with golfers who feel the need to jump the fence to go into people’s backyards to search for their ball. Add in that golfers tend to drink and then toss cans into yards.

The drunker and more reckless the golfers get, the risk increases for windows on the houses and cars to be hit or for a person to get hit.

My mother and her neighbors health and well being are not expendable because Tom, Dick and Harry want to go hang out.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

Yup. I don't even play golf, but it seems to be among the easiest of things to open back up, with proper precautions obviously.

Drive-in theaters are another. Thankfully the few remaining look like they too will be able to open soon. Maybe that industry will be brought back from the dead, as indoor theaters aren't going to do well in the near term for sure.

People need things to look forward to. Opening some things like these up would help a great deal imo.

Reactions: McGarnagle and CDJ

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I imagine this will be one of the first things allowed to reopen, along with recreational areas in general. Hopefully by the middle of the month.

And hopefully there are rules in place that prevent a crush of consumers from the inevitable onslaught of people trying to get to the course for the first time in months.

Yup.
They may have sneak openings like they did for the big reservoirs for fishing.
They set a date for May 8th for the reservoirs, but actually opened them up last week to avoid the big crowds.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
6WZROF4Z5ZDDXG2MFDLDNW7IBY.jpg

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Yup. I don't even play golf, but it seems to be among the easiest of things to open back up, with proper precautions obviously.

Drive-in theaters are another. Thankfully the few remaining look like they too will be able to open soon. Maybe that industry will be brought back from the dead, as indoor theaters aren't going to do well in the near term for sure.

People need things to look forward to. Opening some things like these up would help a great deal imo.

Im not even a big golfer, But I usually go once or twice a year. If they opened, I wouldnt even take a cart, and I wouldnt even put it in the hole (yuk yuk). Id be playing like 10 foot gimmes. Unless of course I hole out with long putts or shots, but that will never happen. So I would be touching nothing.

Reactions: Fenway

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Again, I’m all for opening golf courses with the exception of the 2 in the city

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
If you want to open any courses up, do it in the suburbs. The ones in Boston must stay closed.

At one of the golf courses in the city the tee boxes are very close to the back yards of residents and can become crowded even with staggered start times.

There is also an issue with golfers who feel the need to jump the fence to go into people’s backyards to search for their ball. Add in that golfers tend to drink and then toss cans into yards.

The drunker and more reckless the golfers get, the risk increases for windows on the houses and cars to be hit or for a person to get hit.

My mother and her neighbors health and well being are not expendable because Tom, Dick and Harry want to go hang out.

Those courses are way out of my league. lol. I only hit the cheap courses. Im talking under $30 for 18 holes.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Those courses are way out of my league. lol. I only hit the cheap courses. Im talking under $30 for 18 holes.
Just looked at the city rates. Fri- Sun it’s $57 for non resident 18 holes goes to $50 for a resident. It is regularly $41

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

I'm not gonna argue your point with you Alicat, because I like you.

But, if someone DID want to argue with you, they might ask "Are people on the tee really going to be standing within 6 feet from your mother? And if truly so, wouldn't it make more sense for your mother to move 2-3 feet within her backyard so the residents of the city could have an activity that resembles normal? This person might ask whether people who are at particularly high risk ought to take extra precautions themselves rather than extending the restrictive social rules we already have in place just to make an incredibly unlikely event become a sliver of a hair more incredibly unlikely.

Personally, I think of my deceased grandmother who used to take me driving in her Titanic-sized car when she was 85 years old. She drove 15-20 mph below the speed limit, put everyone around her at risk with poor eyesight and glacier-slow reaction times, and was rattled by people passing her at the speed limit. Now, should those people slow down to match her pace so as to not run the risk of alarming her and increasing her chance to make a mistake that could hurt her, or people around her, or should she maybe consider whether it's still safe for her to be driving? Maybe take the bus, or get a ride from her son (my Dad, lol).

But again, I like you Alicat, so I would never try to fashion that argument.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Im not even a big golfer, But I usually go once or twice a year. If they opened, I wouldnt even take a cart, and I wouldnt even put it in the hole (yuk yuk). Id be playing like 10 foot gimmes. Unless of course I hole out with long putts or shots, but that will never happen. So I would be touching nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad