OT: All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part XII - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Had that same thought...lol
I think it's the cabin fever effect. Like my wife keeps asking me what are we going to eat... I say both freezers are full, pantry, fridges... choose your poison, I'll pass on a few meals...:laugh:

Reactions: BruinDust

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

Now...in May, not in January/February when he could of minimised deaths and suffering. Trump delayed a response to the Coronavirus for the sake of the trade deal and the financial exchange.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
One thing I think think this COVID pandemic has shown is how much $$ colleges put into fancy building,dorms, gyms, etc. that don't really add much to actual leaning or job placement. BUT when that $$ is not flowing in to fund their debt they put in place for it, they get pushed to the edge financially. Personally, I think this is a good thing.
In my opinion we should have elite liberal arts colleges, technical colleges, and state schools. The under performing, 90% acceptance rate, fancy dorm/gym, used to be a two year finishing school, liberal arts colleges are really the scam artists of the past 50 years. Pushing BS like
"a small school experience" that comes with huge debt, no alumni base, and poor job prospects. Personally I would not mind to see these schools go under and hope they do not get free $$ to keep their scam going.
Harsh? Maybe but the closings of Wheelock, Mount Ida, etc. has shown this is a trend before COVID. Thankfully people are finally waking up to

Eh I think the social aspect is worth it. Not just for the students but for the parents to send their kids off. Just look at Lori Laughlin and the likes and their vanity putting kids places they didn't belong.

As for college age students and corona man I feel for them. After terrified elderly folks cut off from their loved ones those are the next people I feel the worst for. I would probably have murdered my parents if something like this happened when I was 19 and I couldn't leave to hang with friends. And if I were a judge I'd give every kid that age who murders their parents involuntary manslaughter/temporary insanity automatically due to understanding. Unless you got Rod and Todd Flanders that must be brutal. Worse on the kids too.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You don't mind writing "shit" but draw the line at "fan"?!?

Had that same thought...lol

I think it's the cabin fever effect. Like my wife keeps asking me what are we going to eat... I say both freezers are full, pantry, fridges... choose your poison, I'll pass on a few meals...:laugh:

LOL.....I didn't even realize. I've been inside this house now way too long. I'm glad someone pointed it out. Wouldn't the site of censored that out?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

Despicable.

Haynes, 34, a construction worker from Newbern, Tennessee, was left without income after the governor issued a stay-at-home order in early April. As a cash-in-hand builder, he is not eligible to claim unemployment insurance, and the stimulus cheque still had not arrived.

“I always pay my bills on time, but without work, I just didn’t have the money to cover everything, so I asked for an extension. They said no,” Haynes said.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Weather is getting nice, open a window, close the ones on your computer.

Some of you have me worried at how wound up you're getting.

The worst may be behind us.

Reactions: ConcordGrapes

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I try to avoid wading into the Covid discussion but I'll give you an example of that in my neck of the woods.

When shit hit the you-know-what in mid-March, our local government closed all the corporate liquor stores. A government corporation controls all beer and liquor sales, they allow convenience stores and gas stations to sell beer, but liquor is either purchased directly from the large corporate liquor stores, or at what they call "liquor expresses" which are small sections of some (probably 5%) of convenience stores and the scattered (less than 5%) of grocery store sectioned off for liquor sales with it's own cash to control sales to minors.

With the closure of the large corporate stores they announced that people could call an order their liquor ($100 maximum purchase, which is roughly two 40 oz bottles and a one 26 oz bottle, not much) and once their order is ready they could come pick it up. Which was usually the next day or two.

So what in fact happened? Well people who drink often (i.e. more than socially) are still going to drink, pandemic or no pandemic. So the closure of the big corporate stores drove liquor consumers to the small liquor express outlets. No one was calling up and ordering days in advance from the big stores.

A month in, the liquor corp. announced that overall sales were down, sales at liquor expresses were up 25%. It's not uncommon now at all to see line-ups of people (6 ft apart) outside or these small mom-an-pop convenience stores waiting to get in to buy booze. Especially on Friday's and Saturday's.

Which to me, is completely counter-productive if social distancing is what governments is constantly promoting as a necessity (not saying it is or isn't, just trying to make a point). Closing the big stores just caused liquor consumers to essentially bottleneck at these small stores, where physical distancing is still harder to accomplish than in a large store. They could of easily allowed the large stores to stay open and limit the number of customers in at a time. The human behavior of calling up a couple days in advance to order their booze is a change in behavior that folks haven't really adjusted to, at least not yet, the proof is in the numbers.

Outdoor spaces is also similar. We closed all outside public spaces in mid-March with the exception of any walking/hiking trails that didn't intersect with a municipal park. No campgrounds, no parks, no beaches, no golf courses, no other outside spaces. I should mention our beaches exist but aren't exactly sprawling beaches full of sand and surf, but people enjoy them all the same.

So the result of this is our walking/hiking trails are now packed with people, social distancing is an issue, parking is an issue, so much that trail associations have threatened to, get this, close sections of walking trails.

We're having our first month of nice weather after a hard winter and people want to get out and enjoy some fresh air and sunshine, important things IMO to health and well-being, both physically and mentally. My elderly aunt is scared now to use what was her normal walking trail as the number of users has increased substantially and she's afraid of catching the Covid. With our newly announced opening measures, campgrounds for overnight stays are at least 2 months away, best-case scenario if things go well, no set dates announced, it could be months longer. Day-use a month away, best-case. If all people have as options are walking trails, they are going to use the walking trails. To keep other outside spaces closed is counter-productive to the goal of physical distancing.

My point being, is changing human behavior is hard. Measures all look really nice on paper, but when its warm and sunny outside, people are going to do what they normally do. Not all people, but enough of them. I think when it comes to the re-opening of outdoor public spaces, it's very important to open as many of them as possible as that helps spread out the population to more locations, larger spaces, and easier and more effective physical distancing. More people camping for example means less people congregating on beaches, frequenting walking trails, etc. because they are going to be outside regardless somewhere.

Especially if in their respective domiciles they don't have any access to outside spaces like balconies, patios, yards, etc which is not uncommon at all. As we hit the warm months of June/July/August, are people are going to stay indoors in sweltering heat? And the ones who do, will have their A/C on constantly. Which depending on how things go may present another problem, overloading the electrical grid due to more widespread and constant A/C usage with draws a lot of current. Which isn't an issue where I live (A/C use isn't prevalent in residential domiciles), but it is in a lot of North America. Once again, I think access to outside public spaces is will be very important in the months ahead and is an asset in this battle against Covid, not a obstacle. No one is talking about putting off events to draw in people, just allowing outdoor public spaces to be open.

I guess my point is, I'd rather see policy decisions in terms of relaxing restrictions that at the very least acknowledge human behavior, rather than a blanket one-size fits all black-and-white authoritarian approach. My rant for the today.

I hope all of you are doing well and staying safe!
I didn’t get the trails thing here either. They closed them up in some spots but not others. I’m assuming that was a municipal call. All that did was make some more jammed up than others.

I do feel badly for the people without a yard to play in. We’re lucky here, have a double lot so the kid can at least get out and run around.

The liquor store is a whole other event, I couldn’t believe the lineups when I first saw them. What’s amusing though is jumping to the front of the line here if you just want wine at one of the local grocers that sell it. I feel badly whenever I do it but that’s the rule they have in place. Must be what rich people feel like at bars when they’re allowed in while 100 people freeze their hands off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad