OT: All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part VIII - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
i have a really hard time with charging somebody sick enough to be on an IV with manslaughter when somebody from the ER in one of the biggest hotspots in the world comes over and starts touching her shit when shes sick and hooked up to a bag. Like we know how this disease acts with people who have compromised immune systems....

Should she be pushing old ladies? No. But these are crazy times and I think she’s justified to freak out in a situation like that. And I want to blame hospital staff for allowing a patient in the ER to wander around but I’m sure they’re running around like a chicken without their head so I just can’t bring myself to do it.

Like if you put me in that situation and a random dude touches the medical equipment treating me in the middle of this shit storm I’ll try and do something to make sure they don’t have to weight around in the ER much longer if you catch my drift. This situation just sucks because it happened to be a person with dementia.
It's not an easy situation, but if we are justified to start pushing people around that are already compromised in multiple ways... where is this heading...

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It's not an easy situation, but if we are justified to start pushing people around that are already compromised in multiple ways... where is this heading...

I just have a really hard time putting a manslaughter charge on her when she herself is compromised to the point of needing an Iv. She is in the new epicenter of the pandemic and if I comprehended everything correctly some random person who wandered from the ER came up to her and started touching her IV bag.

if anything it’s the hospitals fault imo

also a lot of times if you’re hooked up to an IV your brain isn’t exactly in the clearest of places. I just feel bad for all parties involved here. The lady basically died as a consequence of her having dementia which isn’t fair to her either.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Me too . I am terrified.

I always knew there were ignorant racist people in this country I am just disappointed at how many there are. My Dad is rolling in his grave at the Nazi flags being waved here in the USA. They feel impowered because their boy is in the White House. I am very sad about all of this.

Early on I went to a much higher level. I declared this creation of Roy Cohn the anti-christ before he took office. So anything short of armageddon will be surprisingly positive for me.

Reactions: Ladyfan and hrdpuk

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I just have a really hard time putting a manslaughter charge on her when she herself is compromised to the point of needing an Iv. She is in the new epicenter of the pandemic and if I comprehended everything correctly some random person who wandered from the ER came up to her and started touching her IV bag.

if anything it’s the hospitals fault imo

also a lot of times if you’re hooked up to an IV your brain isn’t exactly in the clearest of places. I just feel bad for all parties involved here. The lady basically died as a consequence of her having dementia which isn’t fair to her either.
I still think it was an overreaction. The quote below says she grab the IV pole to regain her balance and orient herself.

" The woman, Janie Marshall, who had dementia, grabbed onto another patient’s IV pole to regain her balance and orient herself, the police said.

The patient, Cassandra Lundy, 32, had apparently become irate that Ms. Marshall had broken the six feet of personal space recommended to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus, law enforcement officials said. Ms. Lundy shoved the older woman, knocking her to the floor. Ms. Marshall struck her head and died three hours later."

I don't thing it warranted pushing the old lady. I find it's a violent overreaction.

Reactions: lopey

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
They're should be held accountable to try controlling the narrative.
when all hands are on deck when it comes to being dishonest, doesn`t seem to matter, it`s a shame. Not one member of this administration oozes confidence in me they are ever honest

On a non-political point, started my volunteer shift at the food bank up the street yesterday. I can sit at home, feel sorry for myself or get off my able bodied ass and give back. Was terrific working with others who are working on making sure we limit the number of our fellow citizens don`t go hungry.

Was speaking to this really nice guy who was in getting a bin of food and other supplies for his family, said only 8 weeks ago, he and his wife made a combined $100,000, now, both laid off with no timeline of a return to work IF their respective business owners are able to re-open their doors at all. They are essentially broke with 2 kids. He said this might have been the wake up call he and his wife needed, said over the years they have purchased or pursued things that they wanted, not things they needed and are swimming in terrible debt, sad to listen to but I`m sure he isn`t alone

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I still think it was an overreaction. The quote below says she grab the IV pole to regain her balance and orient herself.

" The woman, Janie Marshall, who had dementia, grabbed onto another patient’s IV pole to regain her balance and orient herself, the police said.

The patient, Cassandra Lundy, 32, had apparently become irate that Ms. Marshall had broken the six feet of personal space recommended to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus, law enforcement officials said. Ms. Lundy shoved the older woman, knocking her to the floor. Ms. Marshall struck her head and died three hours later."

I don't thing it warranted pushing the old lady. I find it's a violent overreaction.

Idk, I wouldn’t push an old lady in that situation but I certainly would with pretty much any other person. If I’m sick enough to need an IV in the middle of a pandemic I don’t want anybody wandering from the ER and potentially yanking on my IV or worse, infecting me with an awful virus while I’m in a compromised state

Again, I wouldn’t push an 86 year old woman but I can see why somebody would panic in a situation like that and do something reckless. Especially in NYC.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
frightening and maddening, my wife works at the hospital in administration. She just returned to work this week as we were on a quarantine after returning from our vacation. She tells me, talking to those on the front lines, they are being forced to do what I see so many on TV from the States complaining about, using the same mask for their full shifts which are these days, excruciatingly long, same gowns etc....

I understand this pandemic is one that I don`t know any country could have been perfectly prepared for but how are our medical systems this messed up?

member 96824

Eyes on Singapore right now. Something odd is going on there. Second surge in COVID-19

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Why does there need to be blame placed? It was an accident, a horrible accident, with people who are in unthinkable circumstances.

If it comes out that the woman had malicious intent, prosecute away.

I think people are forgetting these are humans who are going through all of this.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Good to hear. Sincerity and genuine co-operation are rare in politics so if you've got in happening in Ireland at this time then that's a real credit to all involved. Have to be thankful that we have much the same situation here in Oz. Our state premier is enjoying himself far too much getting to unleash his inner dictator and play the hero but otherwise most people in government are on the same page and while it's certainly not perfect the strategy that's been put in place is working and keeping our infection rates incredibly low (so far, I hasten to add, don't want to get ahead of ourselves!).

The strict social distancing measures and business closures are putting an immense strain on the economy and people's mental well-being, but they're clearly effective so people are on-board with them for now. The next challenge is the hardest though - how to re-boot the economy and give people some freedom back before the damage is too great without giving the virus a second wind and allowing it to run amok? Really difficult, but we'll need to work something out, just like everyone else.

I tell you I don't envy the people who have to juggle the decision of when to lift the restrictions in order to start getting the economies back up and running versus leaving them in place to save lives. The reality is governments will likely start easing the restrictions sometime in May (at least that's what it's looking like here) but with a vaccine not coming till next year at the earliest, people will still get and die from Covid-19 in the meantime. Economies need to start operating again though so the hope is that the curve will be flattened enough that health systems can deal with it going forward.

The repercussions either way are scary.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Eyes on Singapore right now. Something odd is going on there. Second surge in COVID-19

It's clear this isn't going to go away fully until herd immunity or vaccination. Once we have community spread like this it's just going to spread even from a relatively small number of cases. Data is showing this is about 3-6 times deadlier than the flu but for healthy people with no conditions you're going to be fine. So we could be looking at an age based and risk assessed quarantine around June+ while everyone else goes out and gets exposed to reach herd immunity. Would this be better than going through a shutdown every 1-3 months in waves? Who knows. I suspect it would be. I just don't see how for instance shutting down until June then opening up for the summer and then shutting down in the fall is viable.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Wife went to work today, after being exposed Friday, thank God we don’t have any symptoms, but there are now 6 patients and at least as many staff with it there(on leave). I’m like wtf stop going in and she’s like “it’s my job”

Thank God nobody has to rely on me is all I can say
My hat is off to her, and best of luck to you both!

member 96824

It's clear this isn't going to go away fully until herd immunity or vaccination. Once we have community spread like this it's just going to spread even from a relatively small number of cases. Data is showing this is about 3-6 times deadlier than the flu but for healthy people with no conditions you're going to be fine. So we could be looking at an age based and risk assessed quarantine around June+ while everyone else goes out and gets exposed to reach herd immunity. Would this be better than going through a shutdown every 1-3 months in waves? Who knows. I suspect it would be. I just don't see how for instance shutting down until June then opening up for the summer and then shutting down in the fall is viable.

It's a shame that we'll never get real data out of China, and that they've booted out any journalists that won't provide the company line, because it's important to understand how reopening Wuhan impacts herd immunity and the economy. I don't buy the theory of a V or even a U shape recovery...I think it looks more like an L for a bit and works its way back up slowly.

For aged based/risk assessed, selfishly it would suck as an asthmatic haha but in reality, you're taking a big risk on imperfect data. I don't think you can effectively do that when 99.7% of the US population remains untested.

It's also going to be difficult because while this is looking like the peak in New York and it's effectively "passed" in Washington and California, there are other areas that are just starting to trend up. That is good from a supply standpoint, not great in terms of an economic standpoint.

But it most certainly will be coming back, 2 waves minimum if not 3 just from everything I've been reading. How we handle that, I don't know. How we handle that in an election year when we undoubtedly see a wave come back right before the country hits the polls? That worries me.

But one thing is for certain, this isn't a political thing, but I don't want economists giving me health advice. I want Peter Navarro, Larry Kudlow, etc. to be advising on impact, but I don't want to unnecessarily risk the lives of Americans, myself included, to try and jump start things early. To paraphrase Dr. Fauci, we don't get to make the timeline here...but we can impact it by doing the right things. If we're taking such a large exposure risk by prematurely sending people back out, I want full sign off from those that work in health, not those that work in excel sheets and board rooms.

That's why it's important to watch Singapore right now, they effectively stomped the virus out, eased up and now they're worse than before assuming the trend continues

you're going to be fine

By this..you mean..you're not going to die. Many have recovered in full, but not all. You're still going to have it, which sucks for that period in time. There has been some evidence of long term reduced lung capacity which also sucks. There has also been evidence that some who have recovered have tested positive again, which also sucks.

Just a pet peeve that we've really reduced human lives to numbers and "if you're not dead you're fine" throughout all of this.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I should file my taxes this weekend. I know the deadline got pushed back, but I should probably get around to doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad