OT: All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part VIII - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
f*** that - there nothing fortunate about it- there’s millions in his “fan base” who believe it and will believe whatever he says next. They’re all over from the heads of our federal government all the way down to posters in this thread. The added threat are those who don’t believe him but think he creates good opportunities for their own advancement.
It is awful and scary isn't it. This country will be damaged for many years

Reactions: hrdpuk

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
86-Year-Old Is Killed in E.R. Over Social Distancing

One Saturday afternoon in late March, as the coronavirus pandemic flooded hospitals across New York City with desperately ill people, an 86-year-old lost her bearings and started wandering the emergency room at Woodhull Medical and Mental Health Center in Brooklyn.

The woman, Janie Marshall, who had dementia, grabbed onto another patient’s IV pole to regain her balance and orient herself, the police said.

The patient, Cassandra Lundy, 32, had apparently become irate that Ms. Marshall had broken the six feet of personal space recommended to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus, law enforcement officials said. Ms. Lundy shoved the older woman, knocking her to the floor. Ms. Marshall struck her head and died three hours later.

Ms. Marshall’s death underscored how hospital officials are struggling to keep order in health care facilities overrun by the pandemic, as crowding generates a new level of fear and anxiety.

Initially, hospital officials handed Ms. Lundy a summons for disorderly conduct. But a week later, after the medical examiner ruled Ms. Marshall’s death a homicide, the police charged Ms. Lundy with manslaughter and assault.

“How do you put your hands on a 86-year-old woman?” said Ms. Marshall’s grandniece, Antoinette Leonard Jean Charles, 41, a medical student in Tennessee. “I also understand the fear level of every person in New York has. There is a notion of every man for themselves. But attacking an elderly person? That went too far.”

A spokesman for Brooklyn Defender Services, which is representing Ms. Lundy, declined to comment.

New York officials imposed social-distancing rules — maintaining space between people to stop the spread of the highly contagious coronavirus virus — in mid-March, shortly after the metropolis became the epicenter of the outbreak in the United States. The virus has claimed the lives of thousands of New Yorkers in a little more than a month.

i have a really hard time with charging somebody sick enough to be on an IV with manslaughter when somebody from the ER in one of the biggest hotspots in the world comes over and starts touching her shit when shes sick and hooked up to a bag. Like we know how this disease acts with people who have compromised immune systems....

Should she be pushing old ladies? No. But these are crazy times and I think she’s justified to freak out in a situation like that. And I want to blame hospital staff for allowing a patient in the ER to wander around but I’m sure they’re running around like a chicken without their head so I just can’t bring myself to do it.

Like if you put me in that situation and a random dude touches the medical equipment treating me in the middle of this shit storm I’ll try and do something to make sure they don’t have to weight around in the ER much longer if you catch my drift. This situation just sucks because it happened to be a person with dementia.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
“If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.”

― adolf hitler

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."

Vladimir Lenin

Truth. Although ironically Hitler never actually said it. It's an oft-repeated false quotation, which has been posted in so many places on the internet that people have come to simply accept that he must have done. Funny that...

In fairness he once wrote something elucidating the same basic principle, just not in those words.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Coronavirus Hitting Communities Of Color Harder In Boston

BOSTON-NEIGHBORHOODS.jpg
This is being discussed in the neighborhood groups I am in on Facebook.

I grew up in Hyde Park and it has always been one of the bluest collar parts of Boston. A lot of people who work in the medical setting live in the area (nurses, PCA's, patient transport, police, emt and fire fighters). These are the frontline people who simply can't work from home. We also have a large number of people who own neighborhood bodegas who sell food, act as ups/fed ex return centers and provide the immigrant community to connect with their family back in their home country. These stores don't close down and are so jammed up, there is no way anyone can social distance.

We also have a number of nursing homes in the area and 2 large supermarkets which also are considered essential business.

Like every neighborhood in Boston, we have sub sections and the disparity between each is massive and likely the reason rates are so high. Roslindale is similar but due to gentrification and closer proximity to Dedham and West Roxbury, I'm not surprised the numbers are smaller.

West Roxbury and Jamaica Plain's numbers don't shock me in the least especially West Roxbury. I'll leave it at that.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It'll obviously do his popularity ratings no harm which is no doubt part of the motivation (I don't trust any politician) but hey if it results in a qualified former doctor helping out in the current situation then I'm all for it.

On a side note, given I can't really contribute to the debate on how Trump is handling the situation stateside seeing as it's not my place, most people here in Ireland (myself included) are very happy with how our Taoiseach and government in general are handling the whole thing. I am and always will be very sceptical and suspicious of politicians and politics in general but it does very much feel as though all the games have been put to one side here and everyone is working together, both government and opposition parties, to try and navigate us through this outbreak as best as possible as a country and I am very grateful for that.

Good to hear. Sincerity and genuine co-operation are rare in politics so if you've got in happening in Ireland at this time then that's a real credit to all involved. Have to be thankful that we have much the same situation here in Oz. Our state premier is enjoying himself far too much getting to unleash his inner dictator and play the hero but otherwise most people in government are on the same page and while it's certainly not perfect the strategy that's been put in place is working and keeping our infection rates incredibly low (so far, I hasten to add, don't want to get ahead of ourselves!).

The strict social distancing measures and business closures are putting an immense strain on the economy and people's mental well-being, but they're clearly effective so people are on-board with them for now. The next challenge is the hardest though - how to re-boot the economy and give people some freedom back before the damage is too great without giving the virus a second wind and allowing it to run amok? Really difficult, but we'll need to work something out, just like everyone else.

Reactions: Mr Irish

NSBruinFan

Jul 17, 2006
Cape Breton, NS
First day of teaching online was an interesting experience. My big take away from the day was that my students were looking forward to getting back into some sort of school routine. Lots of positive comments from parents. It also made me realize that some people are feeling pretty alone right now. So, make sure to give someone a call or text today. Check in on them. A simple hello can make a difference.

We are all in this together!

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
This is being discussed in the neighborhood groups I am in on Facebook.

I grew up in Hyde Park and it has always been one of the bluest collar parts of Boston. A lot of people who work in the medical setting live in the area (nurses, PCA's, patient transport, police, emt and fire fighters). These are the frontline people who simply can't work from home. We also have a large number of people who own neighborhood bodegas who sell food, act as ups/fed ex return centers and provide the immigrant community to connect with their family back in their home country. These stores don't close down and are so jammed up, there is no way anyone can social distance.

We also have a number of nursing homes in the area and 2 large supermarkets which also are considered essential business.

Like every neighborhood in Boston, we have sub sections and the disparity between each is massive and likely the reason rates are so high. Roslindale is similar but due to gentrification and closer proximity to Dedham and West Roxbury, I'm not surprised the numbers are smaller.

West Roxbury and Jamaica Plain's numbers don't shock me in the least especially West Roxbury. I'll leave it at that.

I guess in a way it’s reassuring that it doesn’t seem like there is a genetic component to the disease that makes communities of color more vulnerable to it. Seems like it’s more of a social issue than anything else in those communities (and of course if you’re in close quarters the chances of you being exposed to a heavy viral load are higher)

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
f*** that - there nothing fortunate about it- there’s millions in his “fan base” who believe it and will believe whatever he says next. They’re all over from the heads of our federal government all the way down to posters in this thread. The added threat are those who don’t believe him but think he creates good opportunities for their own advancement.
You do realize that lots of what’s being said now is political talking points, for political leverage. No matter how the President handled this, he would be getting trashed for it. A good example of that is when the President shutdown travel from China in late January.. he was torn to shreds by political rivals who accused his shutdown as another example of his racist war on immigration. Turns out that decision actually saved American lives. And this game is played by both sides of the aisle. The nation is in crisis and the President is still finding time to attack political foes. Shameful on his part. Both sides suck.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I guess in a way it’s reassuring that it doesn’t seem like there is a genetic component to the disease that makes communities of color more vulnerable to it. Seems like it’s more of a social issue than anything else in those communities (and of course if you’re in close quarters the chances of you being exposed to a heavy viral load are higher)
I think it is both genetic and socio-economic.

Reactions: CDJ

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
You do realize that lots of what’s being said now is political talking points, for political leverage. No matter how the President handled this, he would be getting trashed for it. A good example of that is when the President shutdown travel from China in late January.. he was torn to shreds by political rivals who accused his shutdown as another example of his racist war on immigration. Turns out that decision actually saved American lives. And this game is played by both sides of the aisle. The nation is in crisis and the President is still finding time to attack political foes. Shameful on his part. Both sides suck.
No offense but you are a prime example of the way his lies and actions are justified by many and don’t sway their belief in him. “Both sides” is just one tool in that mentality’s toolbox.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I really want to go for a run, but I hate running with things on my face. I was considering it this weekend, but after reading this, probably going to wait to get back on the road until it's safer.

Sticking with the Peloton for now.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Boston’s been like this for a very long time- I don’t think this virus is doing anything all that different. Just 5 years ago Northeastern did a study that found a 30 YEAR disparity in average lifespan, just by comparing Boston’s neighborhoods.

Same city. Different worlds.

We probably can’t and won’t get into role the race and segregation play... so I’ll just stop there

Chronicle reports on lifespan disparities in Boston – American Heart Association | Massachusetts

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
No offense but you are a prime example of the way his lies and actions are justified by many and don’t sway their belief in him. “Both sides” is just one tool in that mentality’s toolbox.
You speak and paint with broad brushes. Bring examples to back up your talking points, rather than just attack/ disregard someone who has an opinion who differs from yours.

Fauci saying we may be getting over the hump. Death totals being possibly much lower than originally projected. Some good news.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Wife went to work today, after being exposed Friday, thank God we don’t have any symptoms, but there are now 6 patients and at least as many staff with it there(on leave). I’m like wtf stop going in and she’s like “it’s my job”

Thank God nobody has to rely on me is all I can say
Stay safe my friend.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I’m confident he won’t get re-elected

I give a mulligan to a lot of those ignorant to this guy first time around. My sister & brother-in-law , my next door neighbor, many friends who voted Republican because that’s what they do.

I think the Trump voters who have common sense, aren’t fake religious, realize his sordid past now will either sit out or vote against him.

The problem is always the easily manipulated and gullible.
Which should bring the fan base to about 40% . :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad