Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
even though death rates were said to be 100k-240k from this and sit at 25k right now in this country?

I get the failure, and agree but abysmal?

Coronavirus deaths in the U.S. could be closer to 60K, new model shows

The public as a whole deserves the credit for likely getting those numbers below original projections since the only method was mass compliance by sheltering at home. Aside from that, the original stay at home actions were publicly addressed and enacted by numerous local and state governments long before the federal government headed by Trump agreed to lean on science first and foremost. Even then, Trump was tossing out the idea of heading back on Easter when that time period has been projected as the peak for weeks prior. The concept of even using language like that which inevitably gives validity to people who don’t see the need to shelter in place for the good of society is gravely irresponsible. He said “we are going to have to get back to work sooner than we had hoped” and then touted his target date of Easter. That’s absurd and obviously a problem.

As Fauci has said, the models are only as good as the information going in. As new data becomes available over time, models shift. The exact same way they do with the weather. What we do know for sure from hundreds of years of scientific research and historical examples is that sheltering in place is the way to stop the virus when you’re behind it. Thank God we aren’t in a system of “total authority” where the federal government calls all of the shots.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I have an insensitive co-worker who "knows everything", he was the one who said it doesn't matter if older people die, they should be happy that they have lived as long as they have....etc., and that the economy is more important - claims that people are dying at almost the same rate as always. Pretends he is a math wiz most of the time, so I guess I just don't understand numbers. Grrrr..... Well, just had a long conversation with him, he was so condescending, lowered his voice, talked slowly as if I was the stupidest person on the planet. He bragged about how he went to the liquor store and refused to use hand sanitizer because there is no science behind it working on this virus. Sorry, just had to vent....if I don't, I just may risk the 6-foot rule and see if they have room at the hospital for him. :sarcasm:

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I have an insensitive co-worker who "knows everything", he was the one who said it doesn't matter if older people die, they should be happy that they have lived as long as they have....etc., and that the economy is more important - claims that people are dying at almost the same rate as always. Pretends he is a math wiz most of the time, so I guess I just don't understand numbers. Grrrr..... Well, just had a long conversation with him, he was so condescending, lowered his voice, talked slowly as if I was the stupidest person on the planet. He bragged about how he went to the liquor store and refused to use hand sanitizer because there is no science behind it working on this virus. Sorry, just had to vent....if I don't, I just may risk the 6-foot rule and see if they have room at the hospital for him. :sarcasm:

My Boss: "More people die in car accidents and this is blown out of proportion. And..my eyes are getting wrinkles because I can't get Botox."

no lie.
However, they have decided to keep paying us...so I'm grateful for that.

Residents where I work all creating petitions because the local golf course closed and they feel their rights were violated.

My feeling is, people are dealing with this the best they can, sometimes in a ugly way.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The public as a whole deserves the credit for likely getting those numbers below original projections since the only method was mass compliance by sheltering at home. The concept of even using language like that which inevitably gives validity to people who don’t see the need to shelter in place for the good of society is gravely irresponsible. He said “we are going to have to get back to work sooner than we had hoped” and then touted his target date of Easter. That’s absurd and obviously a problem.

As Fauci has said, the models are only as good as the information going in. As new data becomes available over time, models shift. The exact same way they do with the weather. What we do know for sure from hundreds of years of scientific research and historical examples is that sheltering in place is the way to stop the virus when you’re behind it. Thank God we aren’t in a system of “total authority” where the federal government calls all of the shots.

Good point.

And models are just projections.

I don't even think the case and fatality numbers are accurate. Either way, the pundits and politicians will manipulate them for their own good.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA

The fact that there are people that feel we should be willing to die for the economy is actually mind blowing to me. The fact that news pundits and politicians have said this on tv is maybe the scariest thing I have seen come out of this whole situation.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
8-E69-E41-F-219-D-4598-BCA2-B7-DACD348-ACA.jpg

Unfortunately there weren’t a lot of other options.
Impressive...but, did some of those went as far as March 9th in their uneducated guess? I mean... if by early March you haven't clue in...you're just in denial.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
One more thing and I can't stress the importance of this next point enough.

We here at HF have members that have tested positive, are in a risk group, and are most concerned about simply living.

Insensitive posts to folks like that will not be tolerated and action will be swift.

Discuss as we have discussed but pick your words carefully.

You and I have talked a couple of times since last week. I wasn't going to say anything here at all.

I am one of those that live alone. I tested positive early last week for COVID-19.

I can honestly say that the worst thing today is the depression. It's the worst it has been that I can remember. Luckily, people have been reaching out to me all morning via Skype. I have an interview at 2 PM with a certain coach. After that, I don't know.

Every person dealing with this thing is different and affected in different ways. In no way is one group worse off then any other. I certainly don't feel that way.

I just thought I'd share that from my own experience.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

When I go to the grocery store, almost everyone has a mask or scarf.

When I go to the package store, literal no one has masks. Including the staff.

But somehow that makes sense to me.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Apologize Wally. Not trying to be insensitive. I lean to sarcasm over really saying what I think.

Still work every day with the public. The amount of ignorance I see to what is going on is infuriating. And it seems like it’s the same people over and over again no matter what you tell them.

thanks for understanding man.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
You and I have talked a couple of times since last week. I wasn't going to say anything here at all.

I am one of those that live alone. I tested positive early last week for COVID-19.

I can honestly say that the worst thing today is the depression. It's the worst it has been that I can remember. Luckily, people have been reaching out to me all morning via Skype. I have an interview at 2 PM with a certain coach. After that, I don't know.

Every person dealing with this thing is different and affected in different ways. In no way is one group worse off then any other. I certainly don't feel that way.

I just thought I'd share that from my own experience.
Thank you Dom. Please know that we are here if you want to talk or vent.

I hope you are well soon. Are you home ?

Reactions: hrdpuk and CDJ

member 96824

The fact that there are people that feel we should be willing to die for the economy is actually mind blowing to me. The fact that news pundits and politicians have said this on tv is maybe the scariest thing I have seen come out of this whole situation.

We should certainly step into the booth in November remembering who was more concerned with opening up Olive Garden than keeping us alive and well. State and federally.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky

member 96824

Impressive...but, did some of those went as far as March 9th in their uneducated guess? I mean... if by early March you haven't clue in...you're just in denial.

This wasn’t meant to be a what about. Just saying a significant portion of the media botched this by focusing on being early vs. being accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad