OT - NO POLITICS All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSBruinFan

Jul 17, 2006
Cape Breton, NS
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/pandemic-ventilator-coronvirus-hospitals-1.5493830

When Strupat first developed the device, it was for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. In 2007, the agency was looking for a life support device that could run on batteries and be deployed cheaply and effectively in a potential mass casualty situation.
"It was their effort to prepare for a really desperate event in the United States. So that could be nuclear war, a chemical attack or a biological attack."

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
As a person with a strong faith, I tell what happened today knowing what it was, but I will leave it up to you guys.

I never have worked from home in my entire life. Today, I did. I set up downstairs, and since I have no sunlight I opened the blinds on the window. It was nice, and about an hour in, I noticed an elderly woman walking up the hill. This is not all that uncommon, but I noticed she had a light jacket and wheeled walker, which again, not all that uncommon. She kept getting stuck on rocks and seemed frustrated, and something seemed off to me so I went out. I talked to her a bit, and not being a medical professional I don't know exactly what to look for. She said she was afraid and needed to go to the store. The store is about a quarter mile, along a very busy road ( I live 4 houses in from there so she was close) where cars fly. I said I would share with her what I had and she said, no I want to go...I said what do you need, she again said I just need to go to the store.....at this point I ask her to hang tight, get my wife who is an elder care nurse and she comes out and starts talking to her...text my son who is on duty patrolling and he gets there in a minute...seconds later a woman comes running up the street yelling for her....it was the lady;s daughter. She has dementia and escaped from the house without them knowing....Had I not been sitting there, this day, at that moment, she more than likely would have been injured or worse yet killed. The woman, who we know, broke down crying, hugging all of us, thanking us for caring enough to find out what was going on, and how hard it's been. It was an incredibly precious moment for all of us in this very confusing and scary time..

God Bless You Lou! You just about brought a tear to my eye. My dad was lost in the subway in 90 degree heat wearing his 3 piece suit, hat, overcoat in 1996. He was going to "take the subway to Arlington" which doesn't exist. Thank God that my fireman neighbor, who was called to the subway noticed him disoriented and wondering even after the subway was cleared. My dad was 92 percent deaf in one ear and 40 percent in the other from WW2. He had alzheimers. When by mother died he really lost whatever he had left and just couldn't function. If not for our fireman neighbor I shudder to think what would've happened to him that hot summer day. If not for you, I'm sure that you know things could've ended really terribly for her and her family.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/pandemic-ventilator-coronvirus-hospitals-1.5493830

When Strupat first developed the device, it was for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. In 2007, the agency was looking for a life support device that could run on batteries and be deployed cheaply and effectively in a potential mass casualty situation.
"It was their effort to prepare for a really desperate event in the United States. So that could be nuclear war, a chemical attack or a biological attack."
As you posted this in was finishing the article and discussing with my wife.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Might as well! I have plenty of time, I will be patient... whether to go for more stock or 401k I do not know.

Good time to buy a dream vehicle I imagine, might get a dream price as well!

Not exactly every persons definition of a dream car but I’m buying a 2018 Honda Civic right now. Can confirm it is a good time to get a car.

some of these places are worried they’re gonna close up shop for weeks so what that means is you’re gonna catch desperate salesmen trying to squeeze some commissions in before the possible shutdown. My guys a friend so it’s a different situation but that’s where a lot of places are at I would imagine.

Basically it’s probably a good time to get any sort of thing you need to be “sold” on

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I know it’s a panic but Jesus people have no self awareness. I’m at work early getting hours(could be laid off next week maybe)

pulling a giant pallet of water and people are walking slow in front of me or popping behind me

Why are people so f***ing stupid?

Reactions: lopey and Strafer

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Local news
52D91B27-5E7C-4769-AD1E-1AACA5233738.jpeg
F52BD452-EC56-48EA-B309-F5096462BCE1.jpeg

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Well, daycare is closing next week, and the week after. They claim that’s it, but i can’t see them opening any time soon. I will gladly hold onto that $400 a week, especially nice with my second job being shut down for a while.

this whole thing is still really weird. I’m not one to be nervous or have anxiety battles with myself, but i wouldn’t hate to have a couple Valium lately. By the end of every day, I’m all out of sorts upstairs.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Hopefully they take his ventilator seriously.
Speaking of Respiratory, my wife's Millenial RTs refuse to shave their beards for Covid safety. She may have to fire them. They picked the worst possible time in decades as there is a shortage of RTs and Covid obviously.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Been taking temperature daily to keep an eye on things.

Our flight from New England was Monday...so hopefully I don't see any symptoms through the end of the week.

Dad's work from home for the foreseeable future. Mom's school closed. Brother-in-law has always been work from home, sister is for the next month at least. Nephew staying home from daycare. Wife isn't working yet.

I'm the only one that's working...but I work in an aircraft parts warehouse with 8-10 others. We have decent distance between us at our desks, and don't interact with the public. About as close to an ideal situation if I have to be working away from home.

I fully expect at least 8 weeks of social distancing. I will still worry about my dad and nephew as they both have respiratory issues. But we're all taking this seriously.

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
USDA fights to purge food stamps recipients despite pandemic

"49% of all participant households have children (17 or younger), and 55% of those are single-parent households.
  • 15% of all participant households have elderly (age 60 or over) members.
  • 20% of all participant households have non-elderly disabled members.
  • The average gross monthly income per food stamp household is $731; The average net income is $336.
  • 37% of participants are White" Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - Wikipedia

member 96824

They’ll run on the banks and trigger an actual depression.

yup exactly..and what happens when trading resumes?

Something is up though I will say..fed just pulled another bazooka out of their pocket backstopping prime money market funds. Either someone blew up, is blowing up, or they’re preparing for blow up

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As someone who is older, I am asked repeatedly if I can compare this to anything in my lifetime and the answer is no. I have lived through bad blizzards but you knew at some point the snow would melt My parents lived during WWII where they had to deal with ration books for certain items but not a shutdown of day to day life.

@smithformeragent You joke about me being the Old Man In The Cave - it didn't end well for 'him'

One thing I am certain of - The New York Subway needs to be closed down NOW as the numbers in NYC are starting to spike.

Reactions: Runner77 and lopey

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I put this in the OT thread but it probably belongs here as it is because of the corona situation

so I have a situation. My neighbors are the type that always cry poor. When the husband was on strike friends gave them money so help pay their bills and feed their kids. When he went back to work instead of saying thank you and giving money back to the ones that gave it to them (in some cases thousands) they went out and bought a boat, a motorcycle went over seas on vacation a few months ago, just got back from a florida vacation last week.

Now they are saying to us they don't have any money he can't work OT (he is considered essential so will continue to work through the lockdown). They don't have enough money for food they say.

Do I step up and give them some food knowing they are probably fine and taking advantage and would not do the same in return. Very selfish people and if it was just the two of them i wouldn't even blink but the kids are my kids ages and it is killing me.

in the meantime I have no idea if I will have a job for long or my wife either. again he will keep his as he is union and essential. They know I am kind of a prepper but on a small scale. I am always worried about finances so i keep a good store of items on hand for the family in case of financial hardship which maybe coming very fast.

I hate when people are like that and spend spend spend vacations, cars, toys and cry I have no money and wait a bailout days after something like this happens. Yet I have saved and over time prepared for a situation like this so I don't have to leave the house.

what would you all do? am i selfish wanting to tell them you should have thought about this when you were given money last year during you strike and not gone out and spent the hard earned money people gave you to feed your family?

i am rambling because I am very upset about this right now!!

/end rant
Let them sold their toys. There's Always buyers. Those toys are like money in the bank.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Speaking of Respiratory, my wife's Millenial RTs refuse to shave their beards for Covid safety. She may have to fire them. They picked the worst possible time in decades as there is a shortage of RTs and Covid obviously.
I think there's shortages of medical staff all around.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
“I think everyone should be paying attention to this,” said Stephen S. Morse, a professor of epidemiology at Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health. “It’s not just going to be the elderly. There will be people age 20 and up. They do have to be careful, even if they think that they’re young and healthy.”

Younger Adults Make Up Big Portion of Coronavirus Hospitalizations in U.S.

I am far from a conspiracy theorist and think that we are in an unprecedented and serious situation that everyone needs to be taking seriously.

That said, does anyone else find the timing of these “it affects young people too” stories being so closely on the heels of coverage of spring breakers being idiots somewhat interesting?

People can be idiots regardless of their age and younger people, with their sense of invincibility that most of us had at one time, are especially susceptible to that. Is the media realizing that their “this doesn’t get young, healthy people” approach may have been irresponsible, has potentially contributed to the spread, and are trying to walk it back?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
It's a valid point for sure. People were reading a little too much into the " it's mostly the 60' to 80's+ that are at risk." There's plenty of evidence and links that I've posted that it touches everyone. Lots of the at risk category are kids to middle age with respiratory issues. Even healthy people are at risk, we all are.

Living in Toronto I was looking into who are those 214 positive cases in ontario. I was surprised of the 20's, 30's and 40's. I didn't realized that were that many.

I think has we move more into this "new reality" of ours, will have more data about the group ages.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I know it’s a panic but Jesus people have no self awareness. I’m at work early getting hours(could be laid off next week maybe)

pulling a giant pallet of water and people are walking slow in front of me or popping behind me

Why are people so f***ing stupid?

The thing that pisses me off about this is you can’t control it. You can’t tell them to stop after the damage is already potentially done

Literally the only weapon we have is not going out period and that’s f***ed

Reactions: lopey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad