GDT: All things Baseball

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Mo was amazing, but I think there should have been a unanimous selection before him.

Extremely happy that Edgar finally got his due.
Bingo. Even of the modern inductees I think Cal Ripken Jr and Ken Griffey Jr both deserved the unanimous vote. Though I'm good with what the guys that weren't going to vote for Mariano did this year instead of the usual blank ballot type nonsense that kept those two from 100%

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Bingo. Even of the modern inductees I think Cal Ripken Jr and Ken Griffey Jr both deserved the unanimous vote. Though I'm good with what the guys that weren't going to vote for Mariano did this year instead of the usual blank ballot type nonsense that kept those two from 100%
I really don't get the games that baseball HoF voters play. Hopefully this is a sign that it's finally dying out. If you think the guy should be in, vote for the guy and cut the crap.

Anyway, I watched a lot of Yankees games in college since we got YES or SNY, so I'm a big fan of Mo. Great to see him officially in, even though it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hey look, MLB players can now by an NHL franchise.

So with his $144M contract and a $430M contract, is Mike Trout the first "half billion dollar man" (in terms of career earnings)? Mind boggling.

Reactions: zman77

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Hey look, MLB players can now by an NHL franchise.

So with his $144M contract and a $430M contract, is Mike Trout the first "half billion dollar man" (in terms of career earnings)? Mind boggling.

To be fair they have tried before. I seem to recall Jeff Glavine was one of the parties interested in purchasing the Thrashers but balked in the end.

In other baseball news, Minor League Baseball is doing its Copa de la Diversion for another year. Copa's an initiative by MiLB for teams to connect with their local Hispanic communities and teams adopt a culturally-relevant alternate identity for a couple games. Here's the NC/SC based teams participating in Copa this year and their alternate identities:

cut.jpg

Pescados de Carolina
In conjunction with the team's Dia de los Muertos celebrations, Carolina's sugar skull fish represents its "Pescados" alter ego that labels a Mudcat after it has been removed from the water. The "Pescados" will celebrate the rich Mexican culture found throughout the Carolinas, enabling families and friends to unite in holiday celebrations.

cut.jpg

Perros Santos de Charleston
Charleston, South Carolina's "Holy City" nickname stems from the community's diversity in religious and national backgrounds. The RiverDogs take pride in their community's diversity and establishing "The Joe" as a universally-welcoming spot. Charleston's "Perros Santos" identity, which translates to Holy Dogs, stands to celebrate the Lowcountry's growing LatinX population through its logo's Día de los Muertos color palette.

cut.jpg

Caballeros de Charlotte
Paying homage to its longstanding Knights moniker, Charlotte's "Caballeros" reflects the city's LatinX population, which has played a significant role in the city's massive population growth over recent years. Caballeros, which shares a definition of "gentlemanly horseman," ties in seamlessly to the Queen City's identity and team's future plans to celebrate its LatinX communities.

cut.jpg

Chicharrones de Columbia
To celebrate South Carolina's multi-ethnic LatinX population, Columbia adopted the universally beloved "Chicharrones" identity. The multi-faceted, translatable pork dish, traditionally featuring pork belly or rinds, reaches across cultural lines to create a universally sought-after dietary staple. Chicharrones promote community gathering and experience sharing, foundations upon which the Fireflies are built.

cut.jpg

Patos Joyuyos de Down East
"Patos Joyuyos," a direct translation from Wood Ducks, stands to better represent and welcome the team's LatinX players and fans. The alter-ego's bright colors represent the fun atmosphere emobided by the team at Grainger Stadium.

cut.jpg

Mal de Ojo de Durham
As legend has it, "Mal de Ojo" or evil eye, is a curse believed to be cast by a glare having the ability to cause bad luck or misfortune. Standing high atop the left field Blue Monster wall, overlooking Durham Bulls Athletic Park, is a glare that can't be missed by fans or opposing teams from the famous Snorting Bull. "Mal de Ojo" is the only explanation for the dominance the Bulls have experienced since joining Triple-A in 1998 ; the Snorting Bull has cast fear, anxiousness and mental anguish upon visiting teams.

cut.jpg

Ocelotes de Greensboro
A native of the Greensboro area and a symbol of intuition, focus and vision, the Ocelote moniker represents similar characteristics displayed by the region the team represents.

cut.jpg

Energía de Greenville
Greenville's "Drive" moniker stood to personify the city's energy and enthusiasm to uplift the community's downtown core. The "Energía" title represents Greenville's LatinX community's contributions towards the city's rapid growth in prosperity.

cut.jpg

Llamas de Hickory
Dating back to the Incan Empire, llamas have long been revered for their utility and strength, both of which are tentpoles for the Crawdads organization. The logo holds nods to both Hickory's furniture-producing industry, see the furniture leg in the llama's mouth, and Latin America's vibrancy through the animal's colorful chullo.

cut.jpg

Rápidos de Kannapolis
A new kind of speed has begun to rise, deep in the in the heart of racing country. Growing, working, learning, and even dancing faster than any other, the Latin American community is on the rise. The diversities of Latin culture come together as one to celebrate their fast-paced, positive impact here as "Los Rápidos de Kannapolis.

cut.jpg

Pelícanos de Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach's "Pelícanos" moniker maintains the creature's symbolization of social responsibility, teamwork and charity while propelling the franchise into the future through authentic engagement with its LatinX community.

cut.jpg

Rayados de Winston-Salem
"Rayados" translates to "the Striped Ones," and is born out of collaboration with the baseball team and the Hispanic League of Winston-Salem. The name recalls the pinstripes worn from previous Winston-Salem teams, and the term "Rayo" also loosely translates to "Bolt," the Dash's mascot.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

I take it you're not going to add some Mal de Ojo de Durham merchandise to your collection, Hank? I do think the Mudcat's Pescados logo looks better than their standard logo and I like how the Charleston Riverdogs logo translated into the Perros Santos logo. I've read that Kannapolis is looking into a full rebrand and I'd actually like something based around that Rapidos concept in the place of the big angry "K" they have now.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I take it you're not going to add some Mal de Ojo de Durham merchandise to your collection, Hank? I do think the Mudcat's Pescados logo looks better than their standard logo and I like how the Charleston Riverdogs logo translated into the Perros Santos logo. I've read that Kannapolis is looking into a full rebrand and I'd actually like something based around that Rapidos concept in the place of the big angry "K" they have now.

I have a Durham Bulls Starter jacket that I bought in 1995, right before I went to work for the club.

Literally every time I go out in public, some young kid is literally in awe of that damned jacket.

"Hey man, where did you get that jacket?"

"The twentieth century."

So no, I won't be adding the Mal de Ojo to my collection. I'm good.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Giancarlo Stanton and Aaron Judge both assigned to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton RailRiders for rehab stints just in time for their weekend series this weekend against the Bulls. Tonight's Lollygagger Night and the team will be wearing special unis. Lawn and SRO seats still available for tonight.

Reactions: HisIceness

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'd like to hit the snorting bull and win a steak, but I don't play for the Bulls so I guess I have to go buy one instead..

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Giancarlo Stanton and Aaron Judge both assigned to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton RailRiders for rehab stints just in time for their weekend series this weekend against the Bulls. Tonight's Lollygagger Night and the team will be wearing special unis. Lawn and SRO seats still available for tonight.

Yeah, his assertion that the Bulls "don't even make a big deal about Bull Durham anymore" is obviously nonsense.

YOU RETIRED CRASH DAVIS'S NUMBER.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Yeah, his assertion that the Bulls "don't even make a big deal about Bull Durham anymore" is obviously nonsense.

YOU RETIRED CRASH DAVIS'S NUMBER.

To be fair "any more" is fairly ambiguous and they retired Davis's number a decade ago (damn I feel old now). The two games we've gone to this season they haven't done the Bull Durham racers anymore (I imagine those costumes have gotten beaten up) but they were doing those last season.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
To be fair "any more" is fairly ambiguous and they retired Davis's number a decade ago (damn I feel old now). The two games we've gone to this season they haven't done the Bull Durham racers anymore (I imagine those costumes have gotten beaten up) but they were doing those last season.

It's Lollygaggers Night, for God's sake. It's just silly on the face of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad