GDT: All things Baseball

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
SunTrust Park location kinda sucks, but I love the stadium. I liked how Turner Field was downtown, even if some of the surrounding area was kinda sketchy.

I'll be going to the July 4th game against the Phillies. I've got to boo Bruce Hooper a lot when he came to town with the gNats, so booing him with his new team will be fun, along with the firework show.

Haven't been to the new park yet but yeah, the traffic in that area is some of the worst in the USA. At least with Turner Field, sketchy neighborhood and all, they had the MARTA shuttle which was usually crowded going back but better than dealing with the Downtown Connector freeway.

Reactions: Roboturner913

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Oh hells yes

Durham Bulls Bunch of Jerks Night

cut.jpg

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Bunch of Jerks night is tonight :yo:

And Bunch of Jerks night went poorly. In true Jerk fashion, the Bulls started the game half an hour early to try to beat some severe weather. After taking a 5-0 lead, the Bulls imploded in the top of the 7th, allowing 8 runs. After that the rain came and the game was ultimately called with the Bulls losing to division-leading Gwinnett 8-5. The irony is that had the game started on time (half an hour later) and played out the way it did, Durham would have gotten a much-needed win.

That said, Don Waddell did throw out the first pitch!

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Bulls backed in to a playoff spot. Yesterday was the last game of the season and the Bulls were faced with a "win and you're in" game after beating Gwinnett on Saturday and Charlotte, who held the wild card, losing to Norfolk. That created a tie for the wild card and thanks to head-to-head record, Durham held the tiebreaker. Alas, Durham failed to pull off the win part of that equation but, thankfully, Norfolk came from behind to beat Charlotte in extra innings.

Bulls now face either the Syracuse Mets or the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders starting tomorrow. Syracuse and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre are playing a one-game elimination game to determine who'll be the IL North champion.

Also, in thanks, Durham sent this to Norfolk

Thank-you-note.jpg

Thank-you-note-2.jpg

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Bulls game for tonight's been rescheduled for tomorrow due to weather. A shame. Then Games 3 and 4 in Scranton (well, Moosic) on Saturday and Sunday, with Game 5 on Monday (if necessary).

Winner of the series will go on to face either the Gwinnett Stripers (Braves) or Columbus Clippers (Indians) depending on who wins that series. Clippers won the opening match of that series 5-4.

Other NC/SC based teams in the playoffs:

The Fayetteville Woodpeckers (High-A, Astros) are playing the Down East Wood Ducks (Rangers) in the first round of the Mills Cup (Carolina League) playoffs. Series is tied a game apiece. Game 1 featured a LOL-worthy moment courtesy of Fayetteville second baseman Miguelangel Sierra

In the Low-A South Atlantic League, the Hickory Crawdads (Rangers) are playing the Delmarva Shorebirds (Orioles). Hickory's up 1-0 in that series. The Augusta Greenjackets (Giants) are playing the Lexington Legends (Royals) and Augusta is down 1-0 there.

Lastly, the Rookie-level Burlington Royals lost in the Appalachian League championship series 2 games to 1 to the Johnson City Cardinals.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
After the John Coppolella fiasco I figured that at best, the Braves wouldn't be competitive until 2021 at the earliest but they've got a solid roster in place. We'll see. Go Braves!

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
What the hell happened to the Cubs?

What surprised me was how little anyone acknowledged the injuries. Sure, there were personnel issues and other odd decisions, but every other day someone else was injured; pitching all year, then the position players in the latter half. I'm going to be f***ing furious if they f*** this core up and don't right the ship.

Reactions: HisIceness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad