GDT: All things Baseball

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Opening day was today in case you didn't know. Try not to get too excited about it, alright?

Go Braves, try not to suck this year. Or do. It doesn't matter, you play in Georgia, the teams in that state are cursed. Good thing for 1995 I guess.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Miami is dog **** this season. I don't know how they ****ed up that franchise so bad.

And Phillies are not even that good.
Miami either wins the World Series or are a laughingstock. Very little in between.

The NL East outside of the Nats is bad/mediocre. And I say this as a Braves fan who is happy with their start to the season so far.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
As much as I understand new Miami ownership with Jeter are saving the money and they ****ed up everything there.
They've actually developed quite a few good players over the last several years. They just don't build around them and then trade them away. Though I have to admit the Fernandez death screwed a lot of things up for them which they had no control of.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
They've actually developed quite a few good players over the last several years. They just don't build around them and then trade them away. Though I have to admit the Fernandez death screwed a lot of things up for them which they had no control of.
I think they are just dumb there, they don't deserve anything with all of the stupid trades, as you said they can develop players, but they f***ing give them away for nothing.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Their ownership (not the current one, or was it?) took a huge dump on the fans in the second or third year of the new ballpark. I don't quite remember what they did/said but they pissed a lot of people off. There's a picture floating out there of like 5 fans lined up for an open house season ticket event.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Should also point out that Miami in general is not a sports town at all. Outside of the Dolphins (who have been mediocre at best since Marino retired), all their pro teams are 30 years old or younger. They are just now beginning to experience a new generation of fans. The Heat had the biggest bandwagon fan base in all of pro sports for about 4 years and now no one pays attention to them outside their own fans, the Marlins and Panthers have passionate fans but also have attendance issues, even U of Miami football was struggling until Richt came in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the Big 4 for having a prescene there. They should, there's something like 6 million customers to attract. If I were a professional athlete I'd love to play there. But there's so much more to do in South Florida than watch mostly lousy uninteresting teams, which is what the Heat/Marlins/Panthers/Dolphins have been minus a few years of LeBron.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I think they are just dumb there, they don't deserve anything with all of the stupid trades, as you said they can develop players, but they ****ing give them away for nothing.

Yeah, they do that because baseball has no salary floor. Miami has new owners, but they're doing the same shit as the old owners- draft and develop great young players, win while they're cheap, and trade them once they're not, while pocketing the revenue sharing checks. It's cynical as hell, but it's not dumb. Meanwhile, Stanton joins the ranks of Yankees greats who spent time in Greensboro.

Reactions: Breakdowns
Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Yeah, they do that because baseball has no salary floor. Miami has new owners, but they're doing the same **** as the old owners- draft and develop great young players, win while they're cheap, and trade them once they're not, while pocketing the revenue sharing checks. It's cynical as hell, but it's not dumb. Meanwhile, Stanton joins the ranks of Yankees greats who spent time in Greensboro.
I mean it's dumb for people who support this franchise and want to see them succeed, other than that, it's of course good for the owners, more money.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah, they do that because baseball has no salary floor. Miami has new owners, but they're doing the same **** as the old owners- draft and develop great young players, win while they're cheap, and trade them once they're not, while pocketing the revenue sharing checks. It's cynical as hell, but it's not dumb. Meanwhile, Stanton joins the ranks of Yankees greats who spent time in Greensboro.
The franchise is certainly a dumpster fire, but the most recent crops of young players forgot the win while they're cheap part. What bothered me, is that unlike the other times they did this in their history, they got trash returns, even for a guy coming off an amazing season like Stanton. Oh well, **** Derek Jeter.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Reds fire manager Bryan Price. Price assumed the position in 2014, same as Bill Peters. No playoffs either.

Yeah, you can't coach a team for 4 years and not make the playoffs. At least for the Reds they have an excuse as fewer teams get into the playoffs in the MLB than the NHL. Well, they also have a bad roster.

Also, 3 years to the day since this gem

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad