All Things Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
People can't handle the Leafs having a player of Matthews calibre. I've said this before, it's only gonna get worse for Leafs haters as Leafs and young studs get better and better.

Reactions: KapG and Kamiccolo

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
I don't even know why this is a problem.

Great players get celebrated and talked about all the time. Great goal scorers are celebrated and talked about all the time. It is honestly only because it's finally a Maple Leaf that the hatred and negativity flows so freely.

But it's just too bad because there is only one player in the League to score goals at a higher pace per game since 2004 and that is Ovechkin. Mathews is a generational goal scorer and he seems to be getting even better. We all are pretty certain he wont stay on pace for 147 goals this year but even right now if he went cold and fell back to his avg .55/g it would still result in 50 goals this season which is an incredibly impressive feat.

Reactions: The Apologist

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Hopefully he can keep this up. If he can find this next level to his game and stay healthy, I really like our chances in the playoffs. So long as we get Nov-Feb Andy and not October/March Freddy they can win it all.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
If you look at my post history I have always maintained that Matthews is going to win the Rocket Richard trophy (unless McDavid gets really, really hot). This kid is unbelievably talented at scoring goals. Very excited to see him accept the Richard trophy-it’s locked unless he gets injured.
He has an outside shot at the Art Ross too.

Reactions: HR Pickens

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
Matthews is a great player. He has an attitude to him this year that I didn’t see last year. He is almost “cockier” now as he knows how good he is and how he controls the game. Great to see.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
It isn't just HF, fellow troopers.
Local radio show "That's What She Said" was basically trashing Rielly and the rest of the Leafs and trying to make it about a San Jose Sharks player, instead of the actual records being broken. Sounded really complex-ridden, idk.

Matthews is simply a fantastic player. His processing speed is top-notch, his shot release is lethal and when his shooting percentage inevitably goes down, production should not falter too much. He just has an incredible eye for the net. His passing is more than average, his stickhandling is...wow. There was this one play, against Chicago I think, where he basically tried to lacrossse the puck to himself before getting going. His defensive play isn't at that level yet where Babcock would be satisfied, but he's nearly impossible to contain.

With Tavares on board, the Leafs can realistically think of advancing to the top of the Atlantic division, letting Boston and Tampa Bay murderize themselves instead of Boston taking it out on Toronto. First round should be Islanders or Columbus or some such, which would be a blank slate for the Leafs, without any (additional pressure). And Matthews is writing Komarov and Martin's names on that slate, I imagine.

Can't wait to see TOR-WSH tomorrow, should be just off the charts crazy.

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
I love Matthews as a southern US-born elite talent, but threads like this are lost on me until he shows it in the playoffs. Last year Marner was the clear best skater on the Leafs, Matthews was a non-factor--2 points in the seven games and just not someone you noticed let alone someone who was elite in that series.

Maybe he's that this season, but a few (admittedly incredible) games against some of the dregs of the NHL doesn't change that for me. As a Bruins fan I'm biased, as a fan of US-born skaters I do want to see him kick ass but he's not there, for me, until he shows it in the playoffs.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Matthews is a great player. He has an attitude to him this year that I didn’t see last year. He is almost “cockier” now as he knows how good he is and how he controls the game. Great to see.
NswAqhC.gif

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Matthews is so good that he's going to expand hockey demand so much that Toronto will need two teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad