All Things Auston Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews is 6'3" 220 and quite strong. Tavares is 6'1" and 209. So you'll probably need a better strategy with the big two. Mitch Marner don't care about how big you are. You'll have to catch him.

This and our #1D is 6'1" 218. Toronto isn't undersized by any stretch of the imagination.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Been Auston fan since ever read about him 3 years prior to his draft year and watched videos of him as a child playing hockey. I saw the passion in those eyes. He should wait out and sign a contract that is deserving of him at end of the year if he keeps this up. Why should a player of this calibre takes big discount when he is highly in demand? Bet you a team will make an offer sheet for him next summer. TML need to either let Nylander go for a cheaper player or sign him to a reasonable bridge contract.

You need to value Matthews much higher than Nylander not the other way around. Signing Nylander is not the priority for this team. Either a bridge deal that require him to prove his worth or trade him for a high end D prospect that will cost the team little for the next 3 years. I would do an Oilers-Leafs trade.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It isn't just HF, fellow troopers.
Local radio show "That's What She Said" was basically trashing Rielly and the rest of the Leafs and trying to make it about a San Jose Sharks player, instead of the actual records being broken. Sounded really complex-ridden, idk.

Matthews is simply a fantastic player. His processing speed is top-notch, his shot release is lethal and when his shooting percentage inevitably goes down, production should not falter too much. He just has an incredible eye for the net. His passing is more than average, his stickhandling is...wow. There was this one play, against Chicago I think, where he basically tried to lacrossse the puck to himself before getting going. His defensive play isn't at that level yet where Babcock would be satisfied, but he's nearly impossible to contain.

With Tavares on board, the Leafs can realistically think of advancing to the top of the Atlantic division, letting Boston and Tampa Bay murderize themselves instead of Boston taking it out on Toronto. First round should be Islanders or Columbus or some such, which would be a blank slate for the Leafs, without any (additional pressure). And Matthews is writing Komarov and Martin's names on that slate, I imagine.

Can't wait to see TOR-WSH tomorrow, should be just off the charts crazy.

Only worry for the Saturday game is it's still October so Andersen hasn't warmed up quite yet. Defense is still an issue but thank you for the kind words.

Believe it or not, a lot of Leaf fans talk good about teams in this league if they're good. When we were bad...we knew it, it sucked, and we heard about it constantly. Competitive life cycle has taken some elite teams and brought them down and they're back to rebuilding. Leafs are now rising up...likely need a couple defenseman still though to make the next step.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
kBhVWQl.gif

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
He's the best player of all-time, throughout the entire universe and every parallel universe. I know this because of the gross amount of Auston Matthews threads on HFBoards since Mid-September.

We get it, Leaf fans. He's one of the best players in the league on an incredible start. Trust me. WE GET IT.

nobody made you read or reply.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Because the fact that he is getting an all purpose thread and you’re still acting like a victim is beyond annoying.
pointing out that people are whining over a player being discussed in an all purpose thread isn't acting like a victim

Last edited:

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
it's easy to see how much better he is than the Tavareses and Modanos of the world.

Modano is the most overrated star ever. Franchise player, sure, but never a top 5 player in the league. His career highs were 50g/93p (and his 2nd best goal total was only 38), with much of his career played in a much higher scoring era.

You're dead on, he's basically like a Tavares or Seguin who was able to stay healthy and play a lot of games.

As far as American players go Lafontaine, Chelios, Leetch, Hull, and Kane are all better. Matthews and Eichel will definitely be better. I swear, people just look at the points leaderboard and see Modano at the top and pick him. SMH.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Modano is the most overrated star ever. Franchise player, sure, but never a top 5 player in the league. His career highs were 50g/93p (and his 2nd best goal total was only 38), with much of his career played in a much higher scoring era.

You're dead on, he's basically like a Tavares or Seguin who was able to stay healthy and play a lot of games.

As far as American players go Lafontaine, Chelios, Leetch, Hull, and Kane are all better. Matthews and Eichel will definitely be better. I swear, people just look at the points leaderboard and see Modano at the top and pick him. SMH.

Better and higher peak aren’t the same thing.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
pointing out that people are whining over a player being discussed in an all purpose thread isn't acting like a victim. it seems like saying "victim complex!!!" is the go to response to people who have nothing intelligent to say

Intelligent people tend to avoid ad hominens. You guys could get a Matthews forum and still not think it’s enough. It’s frustrating because I actually like Matthews as a hockey player but every thread is filled with people declaring him the second best player in the league after like 5 games, or people who are trolling, or both.

You can’t actually discuss Matthews and it bothers me haha.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
All things Matthews?! You can't fit Everything about Auston Matthews in the same thread.

9 goals in 5 games. Best work ethic in the League. Leads the League in scoring right now. Youngest player in NHL history to start the season with 5 multi Point games , beating the record held by 1983-84 Wayne Gretzky. Carrying the rest of his team mates so that 4 Leafs players take up the first 4 spots on the NHL scoring list. Being the first two guys along with Tavares to score at least 6 goals in the first 4 games since 1988-89 Wayne Gretzky and Luc Robitaille. And the list goes on and on...

And we're supposed to have just one thread for Matthews?! Dude could quite possibly beat McDavid for the Art Ross this season fair and Square and totally embarrass Ovechkin and Laine in the Rocket race. We should be able to discuss Matthews freely here on HF Boards.

#FreeAustonMatthews #Don'thatetheLeafs

Reactions: theblackadder

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
All things Matthews?! You can't fit Everything about Auston Matthews in the same thread.

9 goals in 5 games. Best work ethic in the League. Leads the League in scoring right now. Youngest player in NHL history to start the season with 5 multi Point games , beating the record held by 1983-84 Wayne Gretzky. Carrying the rest of his team mates so that 4 Leafs players take up the first 4 spots on the NHL scoring list. Being the first two guys along with Tavares to score at least 6 goals in the first 4 games since 1988-89 Wayne Gretzky and Luc Robitaille. And the list goes on and on...

And we're supposed to have just one thread for Matthews?! Dude could quite possibly beat McDavid for the Art Ross this season fair and Square and totally embarrass Ovechkin and Laine in the Rocket race. We should be able to discuss Matthews freely here on HF Boards.

#FreeAustonMatthews #Don'thatetheLeafs
Pzgwrqa.gif

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Intelligent people tend to avoid ad hominens. You guys could get a Matthews forum and still not think it’s enough. It’s frustrating because I actually like Matthews as a hockey player but every thread is filled with people declaring him the second best player in the league after like 5 games, or people who are trolling, or both.

You can’t actually discuss Matthews and it bothers me haha.

Stay on topic, this is an all purpose thread about Matthews and you're whining instead of discussing him. No one cares what bothers you, this isn't your forum. Threads are clearly labelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad