All purpose trade/roster building thread the 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
If that's the price for Kuemper and it's the best we can do, we can live with it. I'd probably give it a shot given the high level of play he's shown in small sample sizes. But I am wary of him never having carried the load and the style of teams he's played for. At least we'd presumably have Mrazek or possibly Reimer waiting in the wings if he's not quite a starter and is another 1a/1b.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
But he did play for the Canes.

In all seriousness though, I think I might have to order NHL.tv just to go back and watch all 16 minutes of icetime he played in his 2 games here so far.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Are the canes rumored to be interested in pietrnagelo? Canes have a lot of quality defensive pieces but could find their RHD depth in trouble if Hamilton walks?

The canes have proven to be shrewd in the past when they dealt De Haan and signed Gardiner to replace him. Would the canes consider dealing Hamilton either for a top 10ish pick+ or a top line forward and then using that money to sign Pietrangelo? Or is that too unrealistic a scenario for the canes to take?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Are the canes rumored to be interested in pietrnagelo? Canes have a lot of quality defensive pieces but could find their RHD depth in trouble if Hamilton walks?

The canes have proven to be shrewd in the past when they dealt De Haan and signed Gardiner to replace him. Would the canes consider dealing Hamilton either for a top 10ish pick+ or a top line forward and then using that money to sign Pietrangelo? Or is that too unrealistic a scenario for the canes to take?

That would be a big mistake to chase another defenseman in free agency, and a very expensive one at that.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Doesn't make sense to deal Hamilton before you have a UFA replacement signed. And Pietrangelo is likely to be more expensive than Hamilton.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I thought about that, albeit in a sarcastic way.

Why are the Blues potentially moving on from Pietrangelo? Maybe it's the internal cap structure or bonuses required or the age curve (making a max term commitment to a 30 year old) or some combination of the three. Whatever is dissuading them from making the offer that he wants would make me nervous if I'm calling the shots. Armstrong knows what he's doing.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well maybe they are coming around to thinking that spending so much on any players that long term at that age isn’t worth it. Which is hopefully becoming common sense. It probably isn’t that they know something no one else does about the guy. Maybe this is the team that starts taking a stand against signing a guy that only has four or five years left to seven or eight years. Or the agent is trying to set a new defenseman market and they won’t be the team that it happened to.

Or it’s just a negotiation.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

I feel like there’s another word that could be used to describe trading de Haan and signing Gardiner for 4 years ... but I digress. That wasn’t your question.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Getting caught up here. But.....am I the only one who thinks Bean plus Reimer is a staggeringly massive overpay for Darcy Kuemper?
That was my first reaction. Breathing it in for awhile made it seem less staggering but I still feel it’s a pretty big overpay. I feel a lot of us think the problem was goaltending when it wasn’t. I’m all for an obvious longer term solution but I don’t feel on the surface this one is it. At all. Feels like more of what we already have, maybe a bump better but if the cost is what’s being talked about here it’s not a big enough bump to me.

I could see us taking advantage of Reimer’s interest around the league though. Not convinced it’ll add up to much but we’ll see.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Maybe Reimer + Bean is a slight overpay but it’s one we are very much in a position to make, if not needing to make before the expansion draft.

The fact is that we have too many quality dmen and we can’t protect all of them. Even trading Bean we STILL have two more valuable dmen in Skjei and Fleury that we can’t protect if we go the 7-3-1 route.

I think we all agree that Jake Bean is a good young hockey player and it would great for him to have a long prosperous career with the Canes but much like the situation in Vancouver with Markstrom and Demko, as well as Pittsburgh with Jarry and Murray, something’s gotta give.

Someone is gonna be leaving the island, so you might as well arrange things and maximize your assets so when you come out the other side you are in the best position possible. Upgrading Reimer to Kuemper is a win. Losing Jake Bean sucks but we have a million capable LH defensemen. It’s almost a no brainer to me.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Getting caught up here. But.....am I the only one who thinks Bean plus Reimer is a staggeringly massive overpay for Darcy Kuemper?

Arizona's asking price reportedly starts with a 1st round pick. Bean has the pedigree and is more ready to help Arizona than a pick this year.

It's a high price but Keumper has had a .928 and .925 SV% the last 2 seasons.

I've seen a few people here say a 2nd +Reimer is a reasonable deal for Keumper. So here's my question: If Bean were on the market today, do you think he would return a 1st? Or a 2nd?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I've seen a few people here say a 2nd +Reimer is a reasonable deal for Keumper. So here's my question: If Bean were on the market today, do you think he would return a 1st? Or a 2nd?
I think he’d return a late first, at best. He has no expansion protection and only two games in the NHL.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Maybe Reimer + Bean is a slight overpay but it’s one we are very much in a position to make, if not needing to make before the expansion draft.

The fact is that we have too many quality dmen and we can’t protect all of them. Even trading Bean we STILL have two more valuable dmen in Skjei and Fleury that we can’t protect if we go the 7-3-1 route.

I think we all agree that Jake Bean is a good young hockey player and it would great for him to have a long prosperous career with the Canes but much like the situation in Vancouver with Markstrom and Demko, as well as Pittsburgh with Jarry and Murray, something’s gotta give.

Someone is gonna be leaving the island, so you might as well arrange things and maximize your assets so when you come out the other side you are in the best position possible. Upgrading Reimer to Kuemper is a win. Losing Jake Bean sucks but we have a million capable LH defensemen. It’s almost a no brainer to me.
I see what you’re saying. However, I really think that the current Canes trend of paying all of their defensemen 2 million + hasn’t really resulted in any elevated quality of shot suppression....in fact, the high danger chance % is fairly high IIRC. Taking advanced stats out of it, is the D really that much better? I would contend, it is not.

I think we need to see Fleury AND Bean play significant roles on the team going forward. Cheap, quality defensemen are invaluable - and yet we seem to not really care about hanging on to them.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I see what you’re saying. However, I really think that the current Canes trend of paying all of their defensemen 2 million + hasn’t really resulted in any elevated quality of shot suppression....in fact, the high danger chance % is fairly high IIRC. Taking advanced stats out of it, is the D really that much better? I would contend, it is not.

I think we need to see Fleury AND Bean play significant roles on the team going forward. Cheap, quality defensemen are invaluable - and yet we seem to not really care about hanging on to them.
This past seasons d was a step back from the year before. Both years I thought we looked sloppy in our end regardless of talent. I think there’s something about the system that leads to it. We’re great pushing forward and getting it out as soon as possible in our end, but once we’re pinned it can get ugly.

I agree we could use the two youngsters to start growing up in the system at the nhl level and save a little cash if we can. Homegrown talent tends to be cheaper than hiring or trading for help. Regardless of what you think
of those two and what we couldn’t had instead we have two very good young defenseman that other teams sometimes struggle to grow. As you say they should be valuable to us. More than they seem to be.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Well unless we make a deal with RF in the expansion draft. He’s likely taking one of them anyway.

In a normal situation I would agree with you. Hold on to the cheap young talent but we don’t have that luxury. What we can do is convert one of those assets that we are going to lose into an upgrade at a position that we have been searching for stability in for a long time.

Look, there’s no perfect scenario here and we’re going to either lose a good player or a good asset in making a deal with Seattle. But we can structure our roster in a way where vulnerable assets at an area of strength are used to increase other areas where we are lacking.

I won’t be upset if we don’t make a deal for Kuemper but I want to come out of the ED with the best team possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad