All purpose trade/roster building thread the 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I personally would rather keep Fleury over Bean. Fleury has kinda got the short end of the stick with regards to regular playing time in the NHL, but he looked like a legit player this season (especially in the series against you greasy f***s :) ). I'm just a bit gunshy on Bean after witnessing Ryan Murphy implode in the NHL. We'll just have to wait and see what Waddell and Co. do, though.

Needs are a top six left winger. As of now we've got 5/6 decent top six forwards. Svech/Aho/Teravainen for the first line and XXX/Trocheck/Necas for the second. Foegele/Nino/Dzingle all can fill in there part time, but I don't like the thought of any of them there long term. So if we're talking about Boston players, I'm staring lustfully at Jake DeBrusk.

That's what I thought as well. A Fleury for DeBrusk move perhaps? RFA for RFA and I bet their contracts are about the same.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So, after reading you post, what is the need for the Hurricanes?

my view

1. Upgraded Starting Goaltender
2. Legit secondary scoring, particularly with some physicality and early-mid 20s.
3. Expansion exempt RHD, preferably nhl ready,

not saying Fleury alone would be enough (depends on the return) but that’s what I see as needs

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
my view

1. Upgraded Starting Goaltender
2. Legit secondary scoring, particularly with some physicality and early-mid 20s.
3. Expansion exempt RHD, preferably nhl ready,

not saying Fleury alone would be enough (depends on the return) but that’s what I see as needs

That sounds like LW Jake DeBrusk if the price is that high on Fleury.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I would think DeBrusk has more value and will gat paid more, no?

I think he indeed has more value than Fleury but it's not by much because of the position. Again, the foundation for the trade is those two as I don't think Skjei is available and is closer in value but on the other side of the trade where DeBrusk is below him probably in the same addition (for example, whatever you would add from the Bruins to get Skjei is what you would add from Carolina onto Fleury to get DeBrusk). Make sense?

Either way, moving a LHD from a position of strength to get what you listed above seems to make sense for Carolina now and have Francis with one less drafted player to choose from.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think he indeed has more value than Fleury but it's not by much because of the position. Again, the foundation for the trade is those two as I don't think Skjei is available and is closer in value but on the other side of the trade where DeBrusk is below him probably in the same addition (for example, whatever you would add from the Bruins to get Skjei is what you would add from Carolina onto Fleury to get DeBrusk). Make sense?

probably Gardiner. Would hate to give him up, but makes the most sense for both teams

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
probably Gardiner. Would hate to give him up, but makes the most sense for both teams

Boston has a rule: Gardiner must be on the opposite team in the 1st round for the Bruins to win. He has such a negative value (he was one of the only Leafs to be around for all three game 7s and was responsible for their losses in all three to large degrees) so I would suggest a prospect or mid-level pick. Bruins prospect depth is low on the wings.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I’m clearly joking about Gardiner.

I know. What's funny is that every game seven we would all sit down and watch and say 'how is Gardiner going to give the Bruins game 7 this time?' and afterwards if you went over to the Leafs board it was the same talk about how he was going to screw it up...

...and he did. He must have been so pissed to see the Bruins again this year. Feel for the guy because he seems genuinely to be a great guy.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Can't take on one part at all of Gardiner. He needs to never be a Bruin. Salary cap and all.

DeBrusk and the 2nd in this years draft? Rangers or yours.
Maybe Fleury and Buffalo’s 3rd, which is only 10 spots after Carolinas 2nd. Fleury really came into his own in the RTP/playoffs and the fact that he’ll get paid less than DeBrusk is really important in Covid timeframe. Not sue if other canes fans disagree, think it’s not enough, too much or what. Haven’t seen that much of DeBrusk so might be off base here.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Maybe Fleury and Buffalo’s 3rd, which is only 10 spots after Carolinas 2nd. Fleury really came into his own in the RTP/playoffs and the fact that he’ll get paid less than DeBrusk is really important in Covid timeframe. Not sue if other canes fans disagree, think it’s not enough, too much or what. Haven’t seen that much of DeBrusk so might be off base here.

He is a 20-30 goal scorer on an ELC. Has been good BUT if the Bruins are indeed the frontrunners for Hall that would put DeBrusk as the 3rd line LW behind Hall and Marchand. Hence the idea that you move him as an asset for another position of weakness; Krug and Chara's departure.

Thanks for the insight and conversation!

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
There’s two beauties posted on the main board.

Hamilton (extended)+Reimer for #15+Liljegren+Anderson

and

Svech+Pesce for Marner
Wow the first offer is already bad. The second... No words.. Svech will be a much better player than Marner. And they add wait who? Pesce....????!!!!! Well I have also one, what about Hamilton, Teuvo, Pesce for Matthews?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Skjei is not an auto-protect and he's moveable in the right deal (that's not code for overpayment). This FO is aggressive. Pu, de Haan, Haula, Priskie and I guess for the purpose of this comment, Fox, were all dealt within a year of being acquired. They were trying to trade Gardiner back in February per Friedman (Link) and are likely still trying to do so now. Dzingel made the TSN Trade Bait list.

$9.3 mil on 2nd and 3rd pairing LHD is unsustainable. That ~$32 mil in space for 21-22 on CapFriendly is not a big figure in the context of contracts to be signed. Broad numbers here, but say Hamilton is at $8 mil, Svechnikov at Aho's number, Foegele and Fleury combine for $5 mil and goaltending at $6 mil total, and that leaves ~$4.5 mil for 5 forwards, spares and deadline space. In the context of a $5 mil winger, it almost requires the team to gamble on Fleury, who has the potential for Top 4 caliber play at a 3rd pairing price tag in the run up to his UFA year (2023).

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

Either way, moving a LHD from a position of strength to get what you listed above seems to make sense for Carolina now and have Francis with one less drafted player to choose from.

I would not be surprised as a Canes fan to discover that Skjei is in-fact available for the right offer.

Moreso, considering cap savings, if he wasn't the preferred defenseman to be moved for the Canes FO over Fleury. (I've surmised since he was drafted that Bean is pure trade chip...he's not the Canes prototypical defenseman and they don't seem to have any desire to actually put him on the roster. He's just a valuable asset.)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He’s easy 2-5 years out. Tampa had Bishop to protect Vasilevskiy. Assuming this kid is two years or less away is a serious mistake.
I think this is why making a move on a guy like Kuemper makes sense for us. He's another platoon guy rather than a pure #1, and at 30 he's still young enough to where he'll likely still be a viable goalie here in a tandem with Mrazek for 3-5 more years until Askarov or Kochetkov is ready. Reimer was solid this year, but he's getting up there.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Again, the foundation for the trade is those two as I don't think Skjei is available and is closer in value but on the other side of the trade where DeBrusk is below him probably in the same addition (for example, whatever you would add from the Bruins to get Skjei is what you would add from Carolina onto Fleury to get DeBrusk). Make sense?
I'd give you Skjei and keep Fleury. Unfortunately, I think your assumption about what our management would do is probably more accurate.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I would not be surprised as a Canes fan to discover that Skjei is in-fact available for the right offer.

Moreso, considering cap savings, if he wasn't the preferred defenseman to be moved for the Canes FO over Fleury. (I've surmised since he was drafted that Bean is pure trade chip...he's not the Canes prototypical defenseman and they don't seem to have any desire to actually put him on the roster. He's just a valuable asset.)

Really interesting to hear that Skjei and Bean would be available over Fleury. Really seems like there is a trade to be made here that benefits both teams!

Reactions: Daeavorn

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Really interesting to hear that Skjei and Bean would be available over Fleury. Really seems like there is a trade to be made here that benefits both teams!

Canes would absolutely be interested in a Skjei for Debrusk swap if it made sense for the Bruins.

Skjei is an LHD with size and speed and signed for same cap hit as Krug had for an additional 4 years.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
~6:52 --> LeBrun on Alex Pietrangelo, the Leafs offseason desires & the difficult climate for teams right now

"I talked to a GM today who said that it's next to impossible to move money right now." This LeBrun quote stood out to me because this is basically a cap in, cap out team this offseason. ~$7 mil may be enough just to re-sign the RFAs, bring in an extra skater at the minimum and provide a little flexibility for the deadline. I suppose there's a realistic scenario in which the lineup is relatively static going into next season.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
~6:52 --> LeBrun on Alex Pietrangelo, the Leafs offseason desires & the difficult climate for teams right now

"I talked to a GM today who said that it's next to impossible to move money right now." This LeBrun quote stood out to me because this is basically a cap in, cap out team this offseason. ~$7 mil may be enough just to re-sign the RFAs, bring in an extra skater at the minimum and provide a little flexibility for the deadline. I suppose there's a realistic scenario in which the lineup is relatively static going into next season.

Also, with Dzingel's deal an expiring one, that contract could well be used at the deadline as a sort of cap balance rather than a pure reliance on the cap space conservation game like last season.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think this is why making a move on a guy like Kuemper makes sense for us. He's another platoon guy rather than a pure #1, and at 30 he's still young enough to where he'll likely still be a viable goalie here in a tandem with Mrazek for 3-5 more years until Askarov or Kochetkov is ready. Reimer was solid this year, but he's getting up there.
I think he’s a great choice in general, my problem is the current first round pick price tag - if that’s accurate. It’s hard to imagine giving up a first, or Bean....any of the really good stuff for him. If there was a quantity over quality option to offer I’d like it.

I also think we’re dreaming with the Askarov talk. Not seeing him getting to us right now.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad