All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread pt 8- wait we're spending HOW MUCH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I still would rather the braintrust go after Roslovic, and maybe he’s gettable now with WPG’s D being all banged up. But, I’m also a guy who would be quite happy with Puljujarvi too as I think he has a much higher ceiling than Gauthier and am willing to take that gamble.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Ho-Sang is worth taking a chance on, IMO. Wanna have somebody with skill instead of Brock McGinn in the top 9? Here ya go.

I don't even necessarily buy that he has "character issues." So much of that **** is blown out of proportion by drama queen fans and old boys club front office dinosaurs. Remember when Dougie Hamilton was a bad personality guy? Yeah. I won't even speculate on some of it possibly being he has brown skin, but we all know how that goes too.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Ho-Sang should be cheap. It would be difficult to be critical about a move like that.

I still don't care for Puljujarvi, if the intent is to play him this season. If they look externally, I want a quality veteran in McGinn's spot in the Top 9 for the playoffs, be it Williams putting the skates back on or a rental Kreider/Toffoli or a multi-season solution (i.e. Saad).

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Neither Ho-Sang nor Puljujarvi would be bad gets. I would probably lean towards the former because I know for sure that he will go for dirt-cheap (Forsling & Maenalanen?) and can be developed in the AHL if he agrees to it. I would not be terribly surprised, though, if they come out with Ho-Sang and Honka and tell those two to stay in the lower leagues and Europe for this year, dominate, and come to training camp next season and fight like hell for a spot. I just see Holland keeping Puljujarvi as long as he can. It would actually be the smart move on his part.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Neither Ho-Sang nor Puljujarvi would be bad gets. I would probably lean towards the former because I know for sure that he will go for dirt-cheap (Forsling & Maenalanen?) and can be developed in the AHL if he agrees to it. I would not be terribly surprised, though, if they come out with Ho-Sang and Honka and tell those two to stay in the lower leagues and Europe for this year, dominate, and come to training camp next season and fight like hell for a spot. I just see Holland keeping Puljujarvi as long as he can. It would actually be the smart move on his part.
That seems to go against what the talking heads are saying, though. They are saying we are looking for top-6 or top-9 help, not a prospect that can be that one day. If we get either of those two guys, you can bet they will be playing a few NHL games very soon.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
That seems to go against what the talking heads are saying, though. They are saying we are looking for top-6 or top-9 help, not a prospect that can be that one day. If we get either of those two guys, you can bet they will be playing a few NHL games very soon.

The talking heads are talking heads for a reason. The Canes are notoriously patient with guys that have untapped or, in this case, mishandled potential.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
From purely a player perspective, I would love Ho-Sang as an immediate upgrade on McGinn. Don't know much about off ice issues, but I can't imagine being on a Lamoriello team helps with his perception.

Ho-Sang is a wild-card talent who should be stuck in the AHL for a while to tear it up. Brock McGinn is a pretty good NHL player that gets overslotted because (IMO) of the Dzingel-Haula-Necas early chemistry. It's best advised to pump the brakes a tad before you say that Ho-Sang is an "upgrade" vs. McGinn.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
So you think they are completely unreliable as to why we want these guys, but are willing to consider that they are correct in that we do want those guys?

I'm not saying that these folks are unreliable in where they are getting sources. What I'm saying is that it's very possible that they heard the Canes sources say "We are looking into Ho-Sang and Pulju RN" and translated that to "Canes want Top-9 help" because they personally believe strongly in those two players. In reality, I think that they're probably just thinking of ways to get forward depth, someone who, if they tear it up, could get a top-9 shot in the future (like, near the end of the season).

Last edited:
Reactions: Lempo

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
ho-sang just cleared waivers. his value is very little
The fact that he cleared the waivers and can be now be sent to AHL somewhat actually raises his value compared to a situation where the acquiring team would first need to put him on waivers themself after claiming him (a scenario where, if no one else put a claim on him in either instance of waivers, Isles could claim him back and he would be considered to have cleared the waivers in a two-step fashion and Isles could send him down).

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
^ Yeah, I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure if my logic was correct.

Lord knows we have enough prospects that somebody's expendable here. Forsling and Claesson are legitimate NHL defensemen, you would think they would take that deal in a heartbeat considering Ho-Sang is somebody they apparently can't wait to get rid of.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's actually a bit wonky logic, now to think of it. Isles can send him down or trade him whether he cleared the waivers in the normal one-step or in the got-claimed-and-was-claimed-back two-step way. And in either case the other interested team can trade for him now and within the window send him down themselves.

The important thing to note is that waivers is a parity-enhancing procedure that (in theory at least) prevents a guy getting stuck in team A's minors if he's good enough to make it to team B's NHL roster. It is much less usable for team B to try snatch team A's tweener level talent by a waivers claim to be used in the minors in team B's organisation.

If the player is really not NHL level, it's the least hassle way to just let the original team to clear the waivers on him and then trade for him if you really insist on having him. There is a fee of up to several 10k attached to making a waivers claim so it's not a good tool for AHL-to-AHL transactions.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I think we are targeting right shots. I don’t know that those are the two best options. We need a right shot that can take draws too. We are at a disadvantage with the choose the dot rule without decent RHS faceoff takers. Roslovic seems like the right guy but his price is high. Ho-sang would be the cheap option. We’ll always be tied to Puljujärvi.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think we are targeting right shots. I don’t know that those are the two best options. We need a right shot that can take draws too. We are at a disadvantage with the choose the dot rule without decent RHS faceoff takers. Roslovic seems like the right guy but his price is high. Ho-sang would be the cheap option. We’ll always be tied to Puljujärvi.

Ho-Sang has taken a total of 8 faceoffs in 53 NHL games.
Puljujarvi has taken a total of 8 faceoffs in 139 NHL games.

If that is part of the focus, I agree Puljujarvi or Ho-Sang don't make sense.

edit: the fact that those appear to be the focus tells me RBA isn't as concerned about handedness on faceoffs given he can choose the dot on offense.

Last edited:

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Still no Gibbons replacement?

Even if TVR is in, you need a forward. Marty is 6-8 weeks and we have no one else coming back? Would stand to reason SOMEONE was on a plane yesteday since there's a game tonight.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Ho-Sang has taken a total of 8 faceoffs in 53 NHL games.
Puljujarvi has taken a total of 8 faceoffs in 139 NHL games.

If that is part of the focus, I don't think Puljujarvi or Ho-Sang make sense.

I have no idea if it is in the focus but it should be. You can see the disadvantage we have with the rule. I presume Rod would want it addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad