All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread pt 8- wait we're spending HOW MUCH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
At the same time though it didn't stop Dzingel from signing here. Now if at this time next season he's traded as well in a salary move then yeah, agents are going to say fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on you.
I’m thinking Dzingel had eaten some humble pie after turning down 5x5 before the trade deadline, and subsequently not getting a deal for the first few weeks of UFA season despite two very solid seasons.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
You guys thought Lempo chose that moment to be 100% serious for the first time ever on this board?

Discussion of SPCs notwithstanding, of course.
I actually meant it as a legit point even if I rhymed it. Recent UFA signings probably get traded every now and then (unless they get trade clauses), but I would guess notes will be made. Especially as de Haan has been a bit vocal about it.

But the counter-points given to me about it are good ones.

Though... Darling got bought out, but it's hard to blame Canes for that. Maenalanen signed as a draft-related UFA and now as RFA is currently without a contract. It's not an especially good UFA track record that's forming up.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I’m thinking Dzingel had eaten some humble pie after turning down 5x5 before the trade deadline, and subsequently not getting a deal for the first few weeks of UFA season despite two very solid seasons.
Likely the case. He didn't exactly have the best showing in the playoffs for Columbus and that can leave an impression. Too much of one in a lot of cases.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I feel like the De Haan trade was about risk assessment not salary. To some extent they go hand in hand because you wouldn't cut him with the same injury if he were making 900K. But at the same time, if he had not gotten hurt with that prognosis of missing half the season, I don't think we trade him.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Does Williams come back or do we see Necas/Maenalenan instead?

If Williams comes back do we see a trade of a bottom 6 guy so Necas gets a shot?

Reactions: Unsustainable

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I feel like the De Haan trade was about risk assessment not salary. To some extent they go hand in hand because you wouldn't cut him with the same injury if he were making 900K. But at the same time, if he had not gotten hurt with that prognosis of missing half the season, I don't think we trade him.
If that’s the case (the prognosis) then the team should be looking at their doctors/whoever made that call, and saying “really? THAT was your best guess?”

I’ve always assumed it was simply to make room for one of Fleury/Bean/etc to take over as a 5/6d with the assumption that one of them will be fine.

I question that. But I do think that was the logic. Can’t have a guy playing on 3rd pairing making $4+. I’d just rather have seen Faulk moved for something more tangible.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
If that’s the case (the prognosis) then the team should be looking at their doctors/whoever made that call, and saying “really? THAT was your best guess?”

Here's an article from 2018:

Toews, de Haan Surgeries: The plague of Islanders Shoulder returns

Quoting from that article: "But de Haan’s latest shoulder surgery — the third major one in the career for a player who was feared to be 'injury prone' during his development before making the Isles — also could affect what he can command on the market next summer."

And that's before he'd played a single game for Carolina. He's now had multiple surgeries on both shoulders, and that shit never gets better. You just shorten all the tendons and re-staple them to the bone until they're all used up.

Look, if you want to second guess this risk assessment, that's your right. But let's not pretend that because DeHaan and his agent say "rehab's going great! We'll be ready for opening night!" that he's destined to play 82 games. That just hasn't been the reality for this guy his entire career.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
saw somewhere that Priskie won't be a UFA until 5pm today. which explains the lack of any significant news so far today. still it's probably unlikely that he signs with the Canes. unless he sees that they have by far the fewest contracts and an opportunity to battle for NHL playing time right away.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Thought about a trade idea just now, and I posted it on CapFriendly. The math seems to work out well for both teams.

Faulk ($1833333 retained) for Brodie and a 2020 5th.

Link: Faulk for Brodie and a Williams Re-Signing - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Flames get an extra $2M in cap space to sign Tkachuk and a #6D, while the Canes get another Day 2 lottery ticket in exchange for salary retainment. Brodie is used as an own-rental, and his freed-up cap space is used to extend Dougie Hamilton and to finalize Svech's 2nd contract. Canes run with this D-corps for this year:

Slavin-Hamilton
Brodie-Pesce
Fleury-Van Riemsdyk
Forsling

While the Flames run with this:

Giordano-Faulk
Hanifin-Andersson
#6 LHD-Hamonic
Kylington

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
The only reason you're doing that is because you don't like Faulk. There's no reason to do it otherwise.

Actually, no. I like Faulk and I hope that he is extended. The reason that I posted this trade is that if Faulk's contract demands are too high, you can use this trade to help out a team's RFA drama in exchange for a draft pick.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Not *you* you, the universal you

If you're going to part with a free agent d-man after this season to achieve some financial/salary cap flexibility, then just let Faulk be the own-rental.

Otherwise it's just making a lateral move to acquire a player who's less likely to re-sign with you than Faulk, and why are we helping Calgary?

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Not *you* you, the universal you

If you're going to part with a free agent d-man after this season to achieve some financial/salary cap flexibility, then just let Faulk be the own-rental.

Otherwise it's just making a lateral move to acquire a player who's less likely to re-sign with you than Faulk, and why are we helping Calgary?

Because you're not actually helping Calgary long-term, that's why. You're helping Calgary get out of a situation of their own creation in exchange for valuable 2020 draft picks. A trade like that would give the Canes 11 picks in a reportedly deep and lauded draft. Little draft picks add up over the years, and that's how the Canes can keep their farm in the top 10 even as Cup contenders. This is the Sam Hinkie philosophy of penny-stock draft pick collection in action, except with a very good team at its base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad