All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread pt 8- wait we're spending HOW MUCH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Armstrong sounded pretty pleased with how the Faulk trade came together. The Reimer trade benefited Florida, and yeah, the Chicago trade seemed fine. And most GMs probably don't hold the moves of a moron in Fenton against us.

I’m sure Dubas is more or less happy with the Marleau for a 1st. He paid a hefty price but it needed to be done and his team is better off for it.

I think most GMs don’t really care too much if the player they trade away ups their game with the new team. Afterall they traded them, so they must have been OK with parting with them. They just don’t want to be sold a bill of goods on the incoming player.

The Nino trade is bad but it’s not like the world didn’t warn Fenton and the Wild about Rask. With the new GM, I cant see Guerin holding a grudge too much. If he thinks there’s a trade to be made that will help the team and it’s with Waddell and co, he’ll make it if he’s a smart GM

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Armstrong sounded pretty pleased with how the Faulk trade came together. The Reimer trade benefited Florida, and yeah, the Chicago trade seemed fine. And most GMs probably don't hold the moves of a moron in Fenton against us.

im sure he is satisfied. They traded for a guy capable (although not showing it lately) of scoring 15-17 for a sliding prospect and a guy they sat in the playoffs. I would be happy with that.

Last edited:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
That's not necessarily the best of things. They are a colleagial bunch, the GMs. You win some trades, you lose some trades, there's an element of banking some future considerations when you every now and then accept a "bad" one. Being a smooth trading partner when someone needs to be helped out is a currency of its own.

If you insist on winning every trade, there won't be dance partners lining up all that eagerly. And you will need them when you need to make a move.

I'll take the other side of this. GMs are ultra-competitive and have egos, too. If there's a GM out there hosing everybody, you want to be the one to bring him down a few pegs.

In the end, I think both factors are negligible. Teams will always want to trade with you if you have attractive assets, and our assets are really sexy.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'll take the other side of this. GMs are ultra-competitive and have egos, too. If there's a GM out there hosing everybody, you want to be the one to bring him down a few pegs.

In the end, I think both factors are negligible. Teams will always want to trade with you if you have attractive assets, and our assets are really sexy.

Thanks Kev!
upload_2019-10-10_12-55-19.jpeg

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham

Wait we don't have Tlusty anymore

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Lazy Sunday extreme hottt taek:

Canes ramp up their offer or interest in Puljujarvi to potentially help Aho out of his snide and due toPuljujarvi’s solid showing so far in the Finnish league.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
More; maybe “informed” speculation from an EDM insidurr:

One of the unsung heroes in the Edmonton Oilers shining 5-0 start has been a player that far too many critics love to hate: 9 Things

4. There continues to be some talk that the Oilers may be interested in Julien Gauthier in Carolina. The right-shot winger was the Hurricanes 1st over-all pick in 2016. That’s the same draft as you-know-who. Gauthier scored 27 for AHL Charlotte last season and 2 more in 2 games this year before his call-up. If indeed Edmonton scouts watched Saturday’s ‘Canes game against Columbus they would have seen Gauthier play 4th line minutes (8:25 TOI, and all but a few seconds of it 5×5) and register 0 points, 0 shots and 2 hits. One thing that perhaps may make the player attractive in such a deal though is the fact that Gauthier is waivers exempt. He could go to the AHL without fear of losing him for nothing There continues to be some talk that the Oilers may be interested in Julien Gauthier in Carolina. The right-shot winger was the Hurricanes 1st over-all pick in 2016. That’s the same draft as you-know-who. Gauthier scored 27 for AHL Charlotte last season and 2 more in 2 games this year before his call-up. If indeed Edmonton scouts watched Saturday’s ‘Canes game against Columbus they would have seen Gauthier play 4th line minutes (8:25 TOI, and all but a few seconds of it 5×5) and register 0 points, 0 shots and 2 hits. One thing that perhaps may make the player attractive in such a deal though is the fact that Gauthier is waivers exempt. He could go to the AHL without fear of losing him for nothing.

At this point, I’d easily trade Gauthier for Puljujarvi 1-1 or even add a 4th.

Reactions: Unsustainable

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
More; maybe “informed” speculation from an EDM insidurr:

One of the unsung heroes in the Edmonton Oilers shining 5-0 start has been a player that far too many critics love to hate: 9 Things

4. There continues to be some talk that the Oilers may be interested in Julien Gauthier in Carolina. The right-shot winger was the Hurricanes 1st over-all pick in 2016. That’s the same draft as you-know-who. Gauthier scored 27 for AHL Charlotte last season and 2 more in 2 games this year before his call-up. If indeed Edmonton scouts watched Saturday’s ‘Canes game against Columbus they would have seen Gauthier play 4th line minutes (8:25 TOI, and all but a few seconds of it 5×5) and register 0 points, 0 shots and 2 hits. One thing that perhaps may make the player attractive in such a deal though is the fact that Gauthier is waivers exempt. He could go to the AHL without fear of losing him for nothing There continues to be some talk that the Oilers may be interested in Julien Gauthier in Carolina. The right-shot winger was the Hurricanes 1st over-all pick in 2016. That’s the same draft as you-know-who. Gauthier scored 27 for AHL Charlotte last season and 2 more in 2 games this year before his call-up. If indeed Edmonton scouts watched Saturday’s ‘Canes game against Columbus they would have seen Gauthier play 4th line minutes (8:25 TOI, and all but a few seconds of it 5×5) and register 0 points, 0 shots and 2 hits. One thing that perhaps may make the player attractive in such a deal though is the fact that Gauthier is waivers exempt. He could go to the AHL without fear of losing him for nothing.

At this point, I’d easily trade Gauthier for Puljujarvi 1-1 or even add a 4th.
I'd trade Brock McGinn, but I'd rather see how Goat continues to develop...even a more skilled version of Foegele is better than JP has been in the NHL

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I'd trade Brock McGinn, but I'd rather see how Goat continues to develop...even a more skilled version of Foegele is better than JP has been in the NHL

Puljujarvi has or at one time was viewed to have had game-breaking talent. I don’t see that in Gauthier. I see a 3rd line, maybe 2nd line winger, which is all well and good, but if I have a chance to take a gamble on game-breaking talent for a likely 3rd line tweener, I make that trade all day every day.

Elite skill wins out more times than not, just look at how successful Necas has been so far even though Gauthier had the far better camp. Based on how the Canes drafted this past year, I think it’s a safe bet to say that they value players that potentially have that elite skill set over the lunch pail guys.

and I’d love to deal McGinn for Pulujarvi as well, but his $2M this year and next is not going to do anyone any favors and the Canes are stuck with him regardless in my eyes.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’ve seen PP’s highlights. He’s getting points but I’m not seeing anything remotely impressive. His last goal I saw was him beating the goalie off wing from like 50 ft releasing this awkward wrist shot. It was seriously a bad goal. The other highlights I’ve seen have been ranging from bad to ok I guess....at that level.

Seriously just keep goat.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Puljujarvi has or at one time was viewed to have had game-breaking talent. I don’t see that in Gauthier. I see a 3rd line, maybe 2nd line winger, which is all well and good, but if I have a chance to take a gamble on game-breaking talent for a likely 3rd line tweener, I make that trade all day every day.

Elite skill wins out more times than not, just look at how successful Necas has been so far even though Gauthier had the far better camp. Based on how the Canes drafted this past year, I think it’s a safe bet to say that they value players that potentially have that elite skill set over the lunch pail guys.

and I’d love to deal McGinn for Pulujarvi as well, but his $2M this year and next is not going to do anyone any favors and the Canes are stuck with him regardless in my eyes.
So did Nail Yakupov at one point. JP was playing at times with Drai or McDavid and couldn't perform as well as Patrick Maroon. His ceiling may technically be higher than Goats, but it's becoming increasingly unlikely that he hits it. Plus Goat is on a waiver exempt ELC, which alone makes him a no-go for JP (plus he's trying to earn a spot as opposed to gifting JP one). As @bleedgeeen said, his highlights in Liiga aren't that impressive and he's hardly been the dominant force he would need to be. I wouldn't be opposed to getting him and giving him a chance, but a McGinn or middling pick at best is all I'd really be comfortable with unless Goat's development flatlines

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Gibbons call up is fine, better him on the 4th line than Goat. The only thing that matters is Dzingel or Necas in the top six in place of McGinn. Move Svech to RW if it’s Dzingel.
I think with this team, the idea of a top six is a mistake. I’d bet if you look at even strength TOI that the top nine would all be pretty close. The more I’ve thought about how I’d tweak the lines, I’d swap Nino and Svech and then run Aho’s and Haula’s lines as more scoring lines, and I’d run Staal’s line as more of a checking line.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Gibbons call up is fine, better him on the 4th line than Goat. The only thing that matters is Dzingel or Necas in the top six in place of McGinn. Move Svech to RW if it’s Dzingel.

I don't agree- but what do you think is the decision making process that led to Goat being called up for a game and then summarily dismissed? I thought he played fine. Is it a matchup thing, or what?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think we want goat to be able to finish a little more at this level, which maybe they think comes from continued development of offensive confidence at the AHL where he can be used in all situations. Just because he can play a fourth line role for us doesn’t mean he should yet.

He played fine but he could be playing a ton down there. Gibbons is a good fill in for now. This isn’t unlike Rod preferring guys like Brown getting called up over all the others last year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad