All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread pt 8- wait we're spending HOW MUCH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
They have a decent layoff coming up after this game so running 11 and 7 isn't unreasonable.

Yep, the long layoff is coming up next week. I imagine TVR will draw in tonight and Aho/TT/Svech will be double-shifted with Wallmark and Foegele all night.

They’ll need a 12th forward after tonight for sure though (no shit right?). So, I wonder if these trade rumors may be coincidental to the braintrust pushing to go out and get another F after the Anaheim game and prior to getting back to business at the end of next week.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Acquired trade assets update:

Carolina-owned Leaf's 1st round pick would currently be #15 overall (by points %) as the Leafs are 4-3-1. John Tavares is out "at least 2 weeks" with a broken finger
Adam Fox has played 4 of 4 games so far and is well on his way to the 30 game mark where the conditional 3rd is upgraded to NYR's 2nd round pick

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
They have a decent layoff coming up after this game so running 11 and 7 isn't unreasonable.
Dundon so cheap he

*Won't pay for a flight for 1 west coast game
*Won't pay salary for west coast game
*Won't pay perdiem for west coast game
*He is on trip and sent a player home so he could have their seat on the small econo plane

Still say Gaut should be on the team.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Acquired trade assets update:

Carolina-owned Leaf's 1st round pick would currently be #15 overall (by points %) as the Leafs are 4-3-1. John Tavares is out "at least 2 weeks" with a broken finger
Adam Fox has played 4 of 4 games so far and is well on his way to the 30 game mark where the conditional 3rd is upgraded to NYR's 2nd round pick
If ever there was a year that I would hope for injuries to torpedo a team's season, its Toronto and this year. Not that I wish injuries on anyone, but.....

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I guess this is the Canes acknowledging we miss Justin Williams. It may even be the Canes asking Williams to come back sooner rather than later.

If we do actually trade for a guy, I don't see how either Ho-Sang or Puljujarvi *fixes* anything. They are both currently *not* top nine forwards for teams nowhere near as deep as we are. I honestly think the whole thing is overblown. If Aho, Niederreiter and Svech were scoring as expected, we wouldn't *need* anything.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If ever there was a year that I would hope for injuries to torpedo a team's season, its Toronto and this year. Not that I wish injuries on anyone, but.....

Well, you want them to not be good and just miss the playoffs, so their chances of wining the draft lottery are minimal and they are stuck with a pick b/t 11-15. This is because they do have the top 10 protection on the 2020 pick. So basically, you want them to be the 2010-2017 Canes.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
We need it to be a low yield torpedo....if they sink all the way to the bottom, they keep their pick and get better. Best case scenario is for them to finish as the eighth worst team, have their fans dreaming of a lottery win, then have three teams behind them win the lottery spots, knocking them back to the 11th spot....thus giving their pick to us.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I guess this is the Canes acknowledging we miss Justin Williams. It may even be the Canes asking Williams to come back sooner rather than later.

If we do actually trade for a guy, I don't see how either Ho-Sang or Puljujarvi *fixes* anything. They are both currently *not* top nine forwards for teams nowhere near as deep as we are. I honestly think the whole thing is overblown. If Aho, Niederreiter and Svech were scoring as expected, we wouldn't *need* anything.

You have to acknowledge that the McGinn hate is real. The braintrust reads these boards and Twitter and has come to the conclusion that anything (Puljujarvi or Ho-Sang) is better than top 6 huge-dix McGinn.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Well, you want them to not be good and just miss the playoffs, so their chances of wining the draft lottery are minimal and they are stuck with a pick b/t 11-15. This is because they do have the top 10 protection on the 2020 pick. So basically, you want them to be the 2010-2017 Canes.

We need it to be a low yield torpedo....if they sink all the way to the bottom, they keep their pick and get better. Best case scenario is for them to finish as the eighth worst team, have their fans dreaming of a lottery win, then have three teams behind them win the lottery spots, knocking them back to the 11th spot....thus giving their pick to us.

They have enough talent that a torpedo on their season would be barely missing the playoffs and having crap lottery odds.

I really don't see a scenario where they finish bottom 10 in the league. I just don't see that happening with their talent.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
You have to acknowledge that the McGinn hate is real. The braintrust reads these boards and Twitter and has come to the conclusion that anything (Puljujarvi or Ho-Sang) is better than top 6 huge-dix McGinn.

Oh, good...mob rule.

I mean, I do want McGinn as a fourth liner and a real top-6 forward in his place. But I'd rather that be as a result of competent management watching the games and not management watching the social media. At this point, I'm a bit surprised that Foegele hasn't been given a shot in McGinn's place yet. He looked his best when he started last year with Staal and Williams, then in the playoffs when he was elevated to the top six role due to injuries. It couldn't hurt to swap him and McGinn around to see if that jump starts him. With that idea, I'd probably do this before trading for anyone:

Nino - Aho - Svech
Foegele - Staal - TT
Dzingle - Haula - Necas
McGinn - Wallmark - (call up)

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

The only thing I care about with a trade - Can he finish?

No matter where the guy is put in the Top 9, the rest of the line will be the playmakers. We just need someone who doesn't suck on the forecheck, and has an ability to finish. If this staff believes that HoSang or Poolparty can be a finisher for this team, it'll be an improvement over what we have.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Oh, good...mob rule.

I mean, I do want McGinn as a fourth liner and a real top-6 forward in his place. But I'd rather that be as a result of competent management watching the games and not management watching the social media. At this point, I'm a bit surprised that Foegele hasn't been given a shot in McGinn's place yet. He looked his best when he started last year with Staal and Williams, then in the playoffs when he was elevated to the top six role due to injuries. It couldn't hurt to swap him and McGinn around to see if that jump starts him. With that idea, I'd probably do this before trading for anyone:

Nino - Aho - Svech
Foegele - Staal - TT
Dzingle - Haula - Necas
McGinn - Wallmark - (call up)

Haula line is second line.

Williams in his old form WOULD solve the McGinn issue.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Oh, good...mob rule.

quite a bit of tongue in cheek for my post there implied...or at least that’s how it was meant. I don’t think for a second they’d make a snap decision based on fans on social media. However; I do think it’s obvious they have been looking for another scorer...going after Kase, wanting a “impact” F for Faulk and now the rumors of Hi-Sang/Puljujarvi. If they succeed in acquiring a F, McGinn is the obvious demotion.

And I just thought of this, I imagine they’re checking into guys like Puljujarvi/Ho-Sang due to the cap. They only have about $1M in space so any adds would have to be a young guy on his ELC still or some one who could be had cheap, like I imagine Puljujarvi could be on a 1 yr deal. I don’t see many teams lining up to take the contract of a McGinn or TVR for their top 9 F to help out the Canes capwise.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Puljujarvi/Ho-Sang talk seems more likely to be insiders just trying to connect dots. It is open knowledge that the Canes would be interested in adding a top-6 forward - they very nearly dealt Faulk for Kase. It is open knowledge that both NYI/EDM would like to trade Ho-Sang/Puljujarvi. It isn't surprising that the Canes kicked the tires on both players. The Canes will be kicking any and all tires on the market.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Puljujarvi/Ho-Sang talk seems more likely to be insiders just trying to connect dots. It is open knowledge that the Canes would be interested in adding a top-6 forward - they very nearly dealt Faulk for Kase. It is open knowledge that both NYI/EDM would like to trade Ho-Sang/Puljujarvi. It isn't surprising that the Canes kicked the tires on both players. The Canes will be kicking any and all tires on the market.
I do wonder if we might be able to go back to the Kase well at some point this year. With TVR ready to come back, there's going to be an odd man out very soon, and that guy is going to be a quality player. I wonder if we might be able to swing that deal for someone like Fleury? Which, I will add, I have liked how he has played this year.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Don't fall into that trap. That's in part how we ended having to endure months of junk Pesce to Toronto threads. The Ducks have a particular need and the Canes no longer have the piece to address that. What the team had to offer at the time is what prompted Kase's availability.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Don't fall into that trap. That's in part how we ended having to endure months of junk Pesce to Toronto threads. The Ducks have a particular need and the Canes no longer have the piece to address that. What the team had to offer at the time is what prompted Kase's availability.
I mean its worth kicking the tires on, if the Ducks are open to the talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot