All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread pt 8- wait we're spending HOW MUCH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Erg...vague hints at possible trades that didn't happen don't peak my curiosity at all, not one little bit...not at all...not even one iota...ok, i just wanna know...

From Sara's latest Athletic article:

Justin Faulk was (and I mean it) literally seconds away from being traded for a forward, but the Joel Edmundson acquisition is making more sense each game.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Erg...vague hints at possible trades that didn't happen don't peak my curiosity at all, not one little bit...not at all...not even one iota...ok, i just wanna know...

From Sara's latest Athletic article:

Justin Faulk was (and I mean it) literally seconds away from being traded for a forward, but the Joel Edmundson acquisition is making more sense each game.

the Anaheim trade?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I’m guessing Roslovic there, not sure that would’ve had us going more than Bokk. DW was focusing originally on a forward who could play now though.

I agree that DW wanted an impact forward and that's why they were hot on Kase. Roslovic has potential and could be an upgrade eventually but in 2019 it would have been just more of the same and created an even bigger middle 6 log jam. The borg felt that Bokk + Edmundson was the best return regardless of long term vs. short term. Edmundson has been a nice jolt to the blueline eventhough he makes probably one bad giveaway a game our core is able to cover that up for the most part.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I agree that DW wanted an impact forward and that's why they were hot on Kase. Roslovic has potential and could be an upgrade eventually but in 2019 it would have been just more of the same and created an even bigger middle 6 log jam. The borg felt that Bokk + Edmundson was the best return regardless of long term vs. short term. Edmundson has been a nice jolt to the blueline eventhough he makes probably one bad giveaway a game our core is able to cover that up for the most part.
I agree they thought Bokk was the best guy they could get. Armstrong was interviewed on the Athletic and he said Waddell wanted a forward who could play now for Faulk, and if he couldn’t get that he wanted the best prospect he could get. Once Bokk’s name came up Waddell was interested and the deal came together. Edmunson was never even mentioned. The canes weren’t shopping for a defenseman and certainly weren’t going to trade for the guy on his own. I think he was maybe a guy to go on waivers, they were trying to move him to clear cap space and needed him in the deal to be able to sign Faulk.

Regardless he’s a great addition to us, and he will definitely have value throughout the season. He’s most likely gone after. I think they made a solid choice in the deal, I don’t know that there was anything else out there as good. I was only speculating Roslovic when Dave mused Winnipeg would be another team that would’ve called.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I agree they thought Bokk was the best guy they could get. Armstrong was interviewed on the Athletic and he said Waddell wanted a forward who could play now for Faulk, and if he couldn’t get that he wanted the best prospect he could get. Once Bokk’s name came up Waddell was interested and the deal came together. Edmunson was never even mentioned. The canes weren’t shopping for a defenseman and certainly weren’t going to trade for the guy on his own. I think he was maybe a guy to go on waivers, they were trying to move him to clear cap space and needed him in the deal to be able to sign Faulk.

Regardless he’s a great addition to us, and he will definitely have value throughout the season. He’s most likely gone after. I think they made a solid choice in the deal, I don’t know that there was anything else out there as good. I was only speculating Roslovic when Dave mused Winnipeg would be another team that would’ve called.

Yup. I think that's how it came together. I would be shocked if they didn't have talks with WPG and Roslovic was what was being offered though. Definitely with Eddy so far. He's fit in well and as Rod mentioned is a much needed stay at home physical presence on the back end. The surprise is that he has decent instincts for reading plays and moving up and down the ice. I think he's gone next year too but who knows....

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

I actually think that it's very possible that before the deadline, the Borg will sign-and-trade one of Eddy/TVR to the Jets (or another D-needy team) for picks and then extend the other to a CDH-like 3-to-4 year deal with no NTCs, something that is easily tradeable a year or two into the contract whenever Bean and Priskie are deemed ready.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
eventhough he makes probably one bad giveaway a game our core is able to cover that up for the most part.
...and covers for the next 4 made by his teammates.

I wonder if he's playing better with CAR than he did with STL. I remember reading from STL fans (maybe in this thread?) that he wasn't exactly reliable, but there's been nothing to complain about so far.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I actually think that it's very possible that before the deadline, the Borg will sign-and-trade one of Eddy/TVR to the Jets (or another D-needy team) for picks and then extend the other to a CDH-like 3-to-4 year deal with no NTCs, something that is easily tradeable a year or two into the contract whenever Bean and Priskie are deemed ready.
Definitely on the table, my argument against would be that this regime wants to win right now and that our best chance is keeping everything we have through the season and hopefully the playoffs. If we take a step back during this season I would think they would do exactly as you say.

Reactions: Unsustainable

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011

I wonder if he's playing better with CAR than he did with STL. I remember reading from STL fans (maybe in this thread?) that he wasn't exactly reliable, but there's been nothing to complain about so far.

He used to play with Pietrangelo back when there was less D depth in STL, and Edmundson was often overplayed and exposed in top-pairing minutes. He's elite relative to other third pairing guys, though.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Well they scratched him in the finals. Considering how we’ve used him that seems odd. Also considering they thought he was worth 3 mill a season something went wrong there. He must be playing better now.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Definitely on the table, my argument against would be that this regime wants to win right now and that our best chance is keeping everything we have through the season and hopefully the playoffs. If we take a step back during this season I would think they would do exactly as you say.

This is one of the least orthodox front offices in sports right now outside of MLB. Being a win-now team didn't stop these guys from signing-and-trading Faulk for a high-level return during the middle of camp. If the Jets offer enough value for Eddy or TVR on assets+extension, they will agree on a trade, I'm pretty sure of that. This is obviously a pie-in-the-sky scenario, but if Winnipeg somehow gets desperate enough to cough up a Vesalainen-type prospect for one of those two, do you think that Waddell/Tulsky/Dundon says no because continuity? I don't think so.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

When you say "sign-and-trade", do you mean like Faulk, where they let the guy negotiate a contract with the other team?

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
He used to play with Pietrangelo back when there was less D depth in STL, and Edmundson was often overplayed and exposed in top-pairing minutes. He's elite relative to other third pairing guys, though.
Except Edmundson has had top-pairing matchups against: LA, NYI, TB. As I mentioned in another context, Faulk was outstanding the second half of last season and matched up against McDavid, Crosby, Seguin, he helped shut them down. There is a pattern.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
This is one of the least orthodox front offices in sports right now outside of MLB. Being a win-now team didn't stop these guys from signing-and-trading Faulk for a high-level return during the middle of camp. If the Jets offer enough value for Eddy or TVR on assets+extension, they will agree on a trade, I'm pretty sure of that. This is obviously a pie-in-the-sky scenario, but if Winnipeg somehow gets desperate enough to cough up a Vesalainen-type prospect for one of those two, do you think that Waddell/Tulsky/Dundon says no because continuity? I don't think so.
Fair, but I don’t think you think that offer is coming. If it comes down to a second rounder for Edmunson or keeping him for the playoff run I think we’re keeping him. I agree that if someone over bids one of our guys we’d take a look at it.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Fair, but I don’t think you think that offer is coming. If it comes down to a second rounder for Edmunson or keeping him for the playoff run I think we’re keeping him. I agree that if someone over bids one of our guys we’d take a look at it.

Obviously I don't expect a Vesalainen to be offered for an Eddy/TVR (even though he's struggling in the AHL RN and had a bad camp), but as their defensive problems reach a head and with a forward group clearly good enough for the playoffs, Chevy is under a ton of pressure RN to do something. Either one of Edmundson and TVR are first-pair caliber defensemen relative to their current lineup. It is something worth keeping an eye on.

Reactions: Unsustainable

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Dumpster diving for reclamation projects, JR will smile at the thought.

I really don’t know which warts I want more. I think you have to lean towards Ho-Sang who can definitely skate at this level and has high skill?

PP is a blindfolded moose on skates. Less character questions but plenty of others. Maybe a power forwardish third line PP helps.

Holland won’t give PP away or he’d already be gone. I fear Lou in any transaction.

Tough call. At least they’re both righty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad