All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread pt 8- wait we're spending HOW MUCH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
There’s always room for improvement. If someone isn’t contributing why should they remain on the roster just because the team as a whole is winning?

I agree with that theory regarding Gauthier vs Foegele,

I can even understand that theory of always being room for improvement regarding Puljujarvi, although I think they would keep him in Europe for the year and try him next season.

But there's no way I give up Gauthier for that lottery ticket. Said it during the summer and I feel the same now: I'd give up McKeown for him, not much more.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016

I can even understand that theory of always being room for improvement regarding Puljujarvi, although I think they would keep him in Europe for the year and try him next season.

But there's no way I give up Gauthier for that lottery ticket. Said it during the summer and I feel the same now: I'd give up McKeown for him, not much more.
Agree here.

If they are going after JP they will leave him in Finland this year and it will be for Fleury +\- once TVR returns.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

I wouldn’t do Gauthier for JP straight up either. Maybe a few years ago when we were rebuilding he would have been worth taking a chance on but he can’t play further down the lineup and doesn’t deserve to be gifted a spot next to Aho.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Only way I want Jesse is if it is for a guy like McGinn who is becoming too expensive. That way we can save some more salary for the deadline and then interchange Foegele, Gauthier and JP between playing and scratching.
This is very much something that JP is not looking for and could be a hard signing to do.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
This is very much something that JP is not looking for and could be a hard signing to do.

why-you-fail.jpg

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Only way I want Jesse is if it is for a guy like McGinn who is becoming too expensive. That way we can save some more salary for the deadline and then interchange Foegele, Gauthier and JP between playing and scratching.

Honestly, McGinn for Puljujarvi would IMO be an excellent trade for both teams, even when not considering salaries. Oilers are flat-out desperate for any sort of NHL-caliber talent that isn't named McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Klefbom, or Nurse, and Pulju wants out of that incompetent clown-show. However, I doubt that Holland wants to trade him as long as he can stick him in Finland and try his hardest to convince him to go back to the Oilers, mainly because unless Pulju is adamant in not ever wanting to play in the NHL if it's with the Oil, it would be awful asset management to trade him now.

Reactions: cptjeff

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Y'all are spoiled to death LMAO. Fleury's better than 5/6 of Winnipeg's entire defense, and he's only on our bottom pair and soon-to-be #7 because we have the no-question best defense in the entire league.

I would love for this narrative to be true.

And because he sucks

But instead, this one is.

On another note, do we have *any* players in Champions League, anymore, or have they all been sent to juniors?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Panthers are trying to trade RHD Mark Pysyk and the Pens are thinking about trading LHD Juuso Riikola. Whenever I see defensemen available, I think of Carolina as the #1 team to watch by default, but I bet that Winnipeg tries to acquire both of them. They could use an entire pairing of NHL bodies RN on that blue-line.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Panthers are trying to trade RHD Mark Pysyk and the Pens are thinking about trading LHD Juuso Riikola. Whenever I see defensemen available, I think of Carolina as the #1 team to watch by default, but I bet that Winnipeg tries to acquire both of them. They could use an entire pairing of NHL bodies RN on that blue-line.

Fleury/Faulk could/should be their top pairing right now.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
The dumbest combinations of opinions on HF=26 is that TvR is a top-4 defenseman but Fleury is garbage to be taken to the curb.

I'm just not sure how those two thoughts rattle around simultaneously in those brains of yours.

Reactions: Hockyluv21

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Fleury/Faulk could/should be their top pairing right now.
Continuing our earlier conversation about how you thought Fleury’s failure at grabbing a spot was the reason for Faulk bring traded, and that if he had grabbed a spot Faulk would still be here...Lebrun has an interview with Armstrong today in the Athletic that explains the trade from their side. That they had heard about the Anaheim trade falling through and engaged with us, that Waddell was specifically targeting a forward that could go right in the lineup and if he couldn’t get that he wanted a top prospect. Says specifically that Bokk was what Waddell was interested in and the trade just developed from there. Doesn’t even mention Edmundson.

“Yeah, you follow what’s going on around the league. It’s difficult to talk and touch base with 30 other managers once a week, so you follow a little bit through the Internet, you saw that deal, it was public, it fell through. I called Donnie (Waddell) and we had a chat on what he was trying to accomplish and what we were trying to accomplish. You see if there’s a fit there. Initially, he was hoping to get a player that would step onto his forward group and impact it immediately. Then he said if that didn’t work he would look for a top prospect. We were fortunate to have a really good prospect, we didn’t really want to move (Dominik) Bokk, but it wetted his whistle and it just sort of moved on from there.”

So yeah.....

Last edited:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
The dumbest combinations of opinions on HF=26 is that TvR is a top-4 defenseman but Fleury is garbage to be taken to the curb.

I'm just not sure how those two thoughts rattle around simultaneously in those brains of yours.

I'm not sure how you can watch them both play hockey and *not* come to the same conclusion. Fleury literally brings *nothing* to the table. He treats the puck like a hand grenade, much the same way Tim Gleason did, settling for moving it from one dangerous location to another, and *never* making an actual play. He actually reminds me of what Noah Hanifin would be like if he had zero confidence.

TvR is solid against entries, solid on exits, solid positionally, makes a nice first pass and contributes offensively. Fleury does none of this.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm not sure how you can watch them both play hockey and *not* come to the same conclusion. Fleury literally brings *nothing* to the table. He treats the puck like a hand grenade, much the same way Tim Gleason did, settling for moving it from one dangerous location to another, and *never* making an actual play. He actually reminds me of what Noah Hanifin would be like if he had zero confidence.

TvR is solid against entries, solid on exits, solid positionally, makes a nice first pass and contributes offensively. Fleury does none of this.

I don't see the complete lack of upside in Fleury that you do, as sometimes he shows flashes of what he could bring, especially when jumping in in the offensive zone (again, "flashes", short bursts).

But I do completely agree with your assessment of him as he is today. And I think his potential to hit that upside is, let's just say, waning (in bold).

TVR meanwhile is a very good 5D. He's top 4 in a pinch, and top 1 in Winnipeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad