All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread Pt 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
So we trade Faulk and then give up more assets than we received back for him, in order to acquire the older, left handed version of him, then we proceed to sign Brodie to a long term deal similar to what we didn't want to give Faulk?

Reactions: cptjeff and Tryamw

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
So we trade Faulk and then give up more assets than we received back for him, in order to acquire the older, left handed version of him, then we proceed to sign Brodie to a long term deal similar to what we didn't want to give Faulk?

Brodie IMO is considerably better than Faulk, as well as far more versatile, but I see your point at the same time.

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’m on board with selling at the deadline considering the current state of the team and the prices so far. Bring guys up from Charlotte - maybe that will inject some hunger into this team.

I’d be ok with this as well. Jettison Haula, one of TVR/Edmundson and promote Bishop and Bean, move up Wallmark to 3C. Maybe even use the returns on Haula and one of the D on a guy like Vatanen or Barrie.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I’m on board with selling at the deadline considering the current state of the team and the prices so far. Bring guys up from Charlotte - maybe that will inject some hunger into this team.

I really don't think that the issue with this team is hunger, but rather a pure mental tic. You can be motivated to win and have the talent to win but have a mental block that keeps you from finishing the job. This is especially the reason, IMO, why we can't beat the Rangers to save our damn lives.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I really don't think that the issue with this team is hunger, but rather a pure mental tic. You can be motivated to win and have the talent to win but have a mental block that keeps you from finishing the job. This is especially the reason, IMO, why we can't beat the Rangers to save our damn lives.

Is it a mental tic that makes them take the first period off most games? Seems like a bunch of guys don’t really care.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Is it a mental tic that makes them take the first period off most games? Seems like a bunch of guys don’t really care.

Yes, I do. It would be one thing if they took entire games off, but that hasn't been the case. It's almost always been the 1st period with this team. That tells me, at least, that the issue is mental.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Brodie IMO is considerably better than Faulk, as well as far more versatile, but I see your point at the same time.
He's probably better than Faulk but I wouldn't say he's a clear upgrade. It's hard to say because Faulk never got to play with a guy like Giordano. The main thing for me is that Flames fans complain about Brodie for a lot of the same reasons we complained about Faulk, and while he'd undoubtedly make us a better team, I could never see our front office doing a deal like that because it would sort of signal that they have less of a clear idea about what they're trying to do than anyone might think.

They've already had to jettison de Haan one year after signing him, they're rumored to be trying to do the same with Gardiner, and Dzingel is probably a goner at some point as well. Will they basically try to walk back the Faulk trade now as well? I doubt it.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Brodie is a good dman and a solid pickup, I think he’s better defensively than Faulk to be honest but I don’t know that I’d pay the cost.

I’m fine with Edmunson going, I want Fleury to have the spot he’s earned with his play. If Rod hasn’t seen enough to keep Fleury around at the very least on the third pair, I’d say there’s no pleasing some people.

Let a Charlotte guy be the 7th this year, whereas in other years maybe a more vet guy. Rotate them up so they don’t lose too much playing time.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Fleury is everything they wanted Edmundson to be and possibly more. We now know why the Blues and their fans wanted to get rid of Edmundson at 3 million dollars, he's just not even close to being worth that amount.

Come to think of it, a lot of the criticisms of our d-men's former teams fans turned out to be true.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
You guys are taking the Bogosian "interest" much too seriously. As I've said before, the Canes are interested in every defensemen, hence they are interested in no defensemen. Expect the unexpected with this Borg, IOW. My dark-horse prediction is that TJ Brodie becomes a Cane, with an extension in place, by Monday, in exchange for Edmundson, Bean, and the Canes' 2020 2nd. He's too good of a fit for this organization for them to not get him. One of the very few defensemen out there (along with Nate Schmidt and Cam Fowler) that is effective as a positional swingman, playing both sides of the defensive rink effectively. IMO, he's the ideal defense partner for Gardiner, and someone who can place Slavin and Pesce into their own, ultra-defensive pairing long-term.

Gardiner-Brodie
Slavin-Pesce
Fleury-Van Riemsdyk

and when Dougie returns:

Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Brodie
Fleury-Pesce
Van Riemsdyk

or

Brodie-Hamilton
Slavin-Pesce
Gardiner-Van Riemsdyk
Fleury

If Brodie is asking for more than Gardiner, he's going to make signing Hamilton harder. I don't want to see any more high priced D signed long-term until Hamilton is figured out, either signed long-term or determined to be major trade bait this summer.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I don't buy that their interest is anything but due diligence. Kreider is the complete antithesis of how they've operated. Not only would they have to overpay to win a bidding war to acquire, but also overpay to retain past this season. Good player. Bad value for a team that really isn't in a position to win this year.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
No offense to the lord and savior, but any chance Williams will ever be the healthy extra. He hasn’t been very good the last five games or so.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad