All purpose trade / roster building thread part 2, the push for the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I know we aren't a fan of "our own rental" by keeping Ferland and adding Staal back from injury, but the Canes have added Nino, which is a Doug Weight type add (pre-deadline). If we could add a decent 3C or another winger and NOT give up a 1st, Necas, Bean, etc... I'd be all for it and think it would help the team. I think any hockey trades for one of our top 4 RHD won't happen until off-season though.

Or maybe they are thinking that someone like Saarela or Necas or someone else from the AHL can come up and make a contribution on the 3rd line?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
You honestly dont think Dundon has the balls to offer sheet? I think he is the exact person who would do it. It goes like this:

Dundon: So Eric (Tulsky), would the value of Kapanen be greater than a 2nd round pick?
Tulsky: Absolutely. He still has the potential and value of a top 20 pick.
Dundon: Does the value still hold up even if we include the cost of the $ included in this potential deal?
Tulsky: Yes it does because the percentages of hitting on said 2nd round pick is still much lower.
Dundon: Hey Don, it's Tom....call that Kapanen kid and tell him we will offer him 4 mil a year for 3-5 years, his choice.

I think it goes more like this:

Dundon: So (insert accountant name here), if we pay this Kapanen kid $4M on top of everyone else we are paying, will my losses next year exceed my stated $10M max?
(accountant): Yes.
Dundon: Don, hold off on that offer sheet.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
I think it goes more like this:

Dundon: So (insert accountant name here), if we pay this Kapanen kid $4M on top of everyone else we are paying, will my losses next year exceed my stated $10M max?
(accountant): Yes.
Dundon: Don, hold off on that offer sheet.
I'd sure like to see the allotted max loss for that football league he dropped a 1/4 bill on! Mofo better be lower than Canes!

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
Need help. How much interaction are management allowed to have with the agents of a potential player holding our interest? Can we, within the rules, have dialogue with Duchene's agent to determine the ability to trade and sign?

Reactions: Unsustainable

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I still don't buy the chemistry angle completely. They haven't even looked that great recently even though they've been finding a way to win. I'm happy that McKegg and Saku have played solid, if unspectacular for us. But replacing them with Jordan, and say Zuccarello, Staal, or Johansson level players, makes us a better team. And those two (or Foegele or Wallmark) can still stay on as depth. Better teams with better chemistry have upgraded their talent before, and will be this year as well. We don't need to break the bank, but we have enough mid level assets to get a decent addition to this team. We have a tough March, and even if you buy that chemistry is uber important, what are the odds everyone stays healthy? The chemistry will be disrupted regardless with 16 games in 31 days or whatever barring uncanny health. Depth is also going to be the name of the game. I'm mentally prepared for nothing to happen, I just think we aren't giving ourselves our best chance in that case.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Here is an interesting article that the Canes found themselves in:

Dellow: Additions both big and small contenders outside of the Atlantic juggernauts should consider - theAthletic.com

Well … this was unexpected. Analytics people are infamous for overrating the Hurricanes and Colleague Dom sees them as twice as likely to win the Stanley Cup as the defending Stanley Cup champion Washington Capitals.

What makes this article interesting is his analysis of where the scoring is coming from and how that affects his thoughts on how each team can handle the deadline:

There’s more than one way for the Hurricanes to improve significantly at the deadline and, for me, they’ll be one of the most interesting teams to watch.

From my perspective, once you get outside the Atlantic Division, it’s not at all unrealistic to think that teams would be well-advised to be a little more aggressive than usual. This is particularly true for San Jose, Pittsburgh and Carolina, where you could see some players a little further down the roster providing some real value if they were acquired. For the other teams, moving their odds of succeeding significantly would probably require getting one of the higher profile players who are available.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Man, if Columbus goes all in and keeps Bob and Panarin, and adds Duchene, I sure bet talent wins out over chemistry in that case. If they add Duchene to move Panarin, I'm okay with that swap from our perspective and still having a chance to finish ahead of them. Other teams around us will get better, and I hope we do too, or we might fail the chemistry test.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Man, if Columbus goes all in and keeps Bob and Panarin, and adds Duchene, I sure bet talent wins out over chemistry in that case. If they add Duchene to move Panarin, I'm okay with that swap from our perspective and still having a chance to finish ahead of them. Other teams around us will get better, and I hope we do too, or we might fail the chemistry test.
I hope they spend to get Duchene, keep Bread and Bob, then miss anyway. That will set them back for several years when all three walk in the summer.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I hope they spend to get Duchene, keep Bread and Bob, then miss anyway. That will set them back for several years when all three walk in the summer.

Yeah you gotta wonder if it’ll be worth it to give up assets to get Duchene if you’re Columbus. They aren’t going to beat out the top teams if they do make it, so giving up a 1st, and a top prospect is a little much for an expected high $ UFA who’s never played a game with the team.

They better have a strong indication he’ll extend there.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Yeah you gotta wonder if it’ll be worth it to give up assets to get Duchene if you’re Columbus. They aren’t going to beat out the top teams if they do make it, so giving up a 1st, and a top prospect is a little much for an expected high $ UFA who’s never played a game with the team.

They better have a strong indication he’ll extend there.
Yeah, if all the talk about his willingness to extend is true, I'd hope we inquired as he would be worth the acquisition costs as a rental. But if he is truly just a rental, I'd pass.

Either way, I don't like he is going to a direct competitor for one of the playoff spots we are fighting for.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The rumor has been for awhile that CBJ would acquire Duchene and then move Panarin. The difference between what they give up for Duchene and what they get for Panarin allows them to sort of straddle the line between selling their expiring contracts and keeping good players for the playoffs.

That said, if they keep Panarin a) they are dumdums unless they re-sign Duchene and b) we need to catch Montreal because we ain’t catching Columbus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad