All purpose trade / roster building thread part 2, the push for the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
What we need is a player good enough to give up a first, but who is also under contract for at least next year. Anybody like that out there?

Otherwise, Pitts and Cbus play each other 3 times in the coming weeks. Hope for one to sweep. Pitts seems more vulnerable to me but they're also the best equipped to flip a switch in the last couple weeks of the season to get in.

Kreider

Reactions: Unsustainable

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I'm kind of in a place of wondering if making a move for the sake of making a move is really worth it?

Hoffman and Kreider are both left shot LWs. If we could get Hayes in a sign and trade it might be worth it or Huberdeau/Zibanejad type (both unlikely) would definitely be worth it.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Eric Staal is the guy who makes sense. A center rental who can be a big upgrade on Wallmark. Hayes would be great but will cost too much as someone will be extending him. Wenneberg/Henrique/Carter 's contracts are blech. Guys like Brassard or Glenden, might as well just stick with Wallmark.

He's the only good option barring a big hockey trade.

Toss them a 2nd and Fleury, and make a real run at this thing.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Spoiler: neither of them were actually boned, and neither are we.
Even if we do nothing, I'm not throwing in the towel. We could still make it. I just think we should do something to improve ourselves. Should we have matched a move with two firsts potentially? No. But like I've said, we have mid level assets to improve ourselves.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Eric Staal is the guy who makes sense. A center rental who can be a big upgrade on Wallmark. Hayes would be great but will cost too much as someone will be extending him. Wenneberg/Henrique/Carter 's contracts are blech. Guys like Brassard or Glenden, might as well just stick with Wallmark.

I'm still 100% down with this. It's been reported he isn't keen to move from Minny, but he might make an exception for us.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

I think the better offer to the Wild would be Walmark and a pick. He'd be able to step into their lineup and fill a position of need for them and doesn't require a contract negotiation immediately. Given the way Eric has played down the stretch, I'd think a 3rd round pick might be enough added to Walmark.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Going all in with a team not even in the playoffs who at best finishes in the wild card, and expecting them to go deep when they are likely facing Tampa/Pens/Caps or some combination? Yeah, okay.

They're 6 points from 2nd place Washington, with 2 games in hand.

Duchene has been a PPG+ center in his contract year. The Jackets haven't had the horses to compete with Pittsburgh/Washington offensively in recent years. They have them now.

So long as Bobrovsky doesn't melt down, they should be very competitive in the Metro. Tampa is a different story, but you never know what can happen; who saw Tampa getting dominated by Washington last year like they did?

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I'm kind of in a place of wondering if making a move for the sake of making a move is really worth it?

Hoffman and Kreider are both left shot LWs. If we could get Hayes in a sign and trade it might be worth it or Huberdeau/Zibanejad type (both unlikely) would definitely be worth it.
Kreider is crazy good, i dont care which hand he use.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I think the better offer to the Wild would be Walmark and a pick. He'd be able to step into their lineup and fill a position of need for them and doesn't require a contract negotiation immediately. Given the way Eric has played down the stretch, I'd think a 3rd round pick might be enough added to Walmark.

I'd be good with either Fleury+2nd or Wallmark+3rd for EStaal.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'd rather stay away from the Estaalo thing but if the situation is right....have to think he'd come back focused and wanting to make good on the way he left.

Staal also has a history of performing poorly as a rental and we know firsthand what unmotivated Eric Staal looks like.

That history is too small a sample size to judge by.

And there's no reason to assume he'd be unmotivated. If anything he should be super motivated. He gets to play with his brother again. He's up for what is likely to be his last contract. He goes from a floundering team that's selling to one in the hunt. He gets to play for Brindy his mentor. He doesn't have the pressure of being "the man."

In some ways it's a ideal fit, if he can lose the whole mercurial mopey deal he gets going on for a couple months.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather leave it in the past too. But sometimes, when the nice pizza place is all the way across town and you're broke, the $5 Little Ceasar's pizza that just happens to be a block from your house will get the job done.

Last edited:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Now that Skinner got traded for even less than he did, I think Staal would be willing to show his face in Carolina again.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
upload_2019-2-22_13-20-58.png

Do we pull the trigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events