All purpose trade / roster building thread part 2, the push for the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Hitchcock's initial note on the boy was that he does plenty of little things that tell he had great coaching when he was 14-16 years old. I don't know if that was said to throw shade on his coaching at 18-20 years old, but there probably is a good base to develop on in Jesse, if someone would.

Apparently he just got listed on injured reserve, but EDM fans have no idea of any injury. Trade may be imminent.

edit: Suggestions that JP (or his agent) is refusing to be sent to Bakersfield. Seeing that his agent is also TT's agent who negotiated the sweetheart deal, we probably won't buy EDM fans' accusations of him being the culprit.

Wonder if his negotiated contract for Koskinen soured things with EDM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unsustainable

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
There’s been an argument about whether or not he’s really a center I think? I haven’t followed him enough the last couple of years to say. I generally have liked him as a player though, and he seems to have a pretty good work ethic. Something likely to be considered with any player coming here with Rod on the bench.

The salary is concerning only in that there’s likely a limit to how much we will just add without subtracting. We haven’t added any salary without subtracting some. Not sure who we’re moving that would offset that much, and I’m not sure he’s far enough up the food chain to be the one who limits future moves.

Staal? I doubt the Ducks want that.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Even if he is claimed by another team, doesn’t make him worth McKeown and a second. Or a second. Or a third.

He’s just not good.

My post wasn’t trying to imply he was or wasn’t worth that. I was just saying that your post saying wait til next year and claim him off waivers wasn’t realistic. If the Canes want him (and that is an if), they’ll need to trade for him.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Then maybe it’s his balance. Something about watching that guy skate inspires little to no confidence.

I agree. I think it's balance and coordination. From what I've seen, he's actually got good speed, ok acceleration, and is decent laterally. I'm not sure if it's his lack of strength or what. Reminds me of kids that grew so fast that they weren't used to their body as he gets knocked down quite easily for a big guy. Looks clumsy when in traffic or things get congested. The other drawback I've seen watching him is that he really seems lost without the puck. I get that not every player has that sixth sense Aho does where he seems to always anticipate the right spot to be in without the puck, but Jesse looks lost at times. Of course, outside of Drai, McDavid, and RNH, all of whom are very skilled and talented, everybody on Edmonton looks lost.

If I was king for a day, I'd sit down with Aho and call up Aho's dad (assuming there are no tampering rules against that) and have a direct conversation with them about Jesse. If they feel the guy just needs a different environment and coaching, then I'd 100% make an offer for him. The guy has skills and potential, no doubt.

If the Aho's give the thumbs up, I'd offer any of Kuokkanen (who I'm not very high on) or Gauthier or Roy and a 2nd/3rd round pick for him. It's a risk no doubt, but it could be a big win. If he flops, I'm not that concerned about the guys we gave up. If the Canes would rather use those guys for a bigger fish, then fine, but Dundon and team don't seem to want to be taking on too much salary.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If I was king for a day, I'd sit down with Aho and call up Aho's dad (assuming there are no tampering rules against that) and have a direct conversation with them about Jesse. If they feel the guy just needs a different environment and coaching, then I'd 100% make an offer for him. The guy has skills and potential, no doubt.

That's not tampering. That's what we in the Royal Navy call 'scouting'.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
I agree. I think it's balance and coordination. From what I've seen, he's actually got good speed, ok acceleration, and is decent laterally. I'm not sure if it's his lack of strength or what. Reminds me of kids that grew so fast that they weren't used to their body as he gets knocked down quite easily for a big guy. Looks clumsy when in traffic or things get congested. The other drawback I've seen watching him is that he really seems lost without the puck. I get that not every player has that sixth sense Aho does where he seems to always anticipate the right spot to be in without the puck, but Jesse looks lost at times. Of course, outside of Drai, McDavid, and RNH, all of whom are very skilled and talented, everybody on Edmonton looks lost.

If the Aho's give the thumbs up, I'd offer any of Kuokkanen (who I'm not very high on) or Gauthier or Roy and a 2nd/3rd round pick for him. It's a risk no doubt, but it could be a big win. If he flops, I'm not that concerned about the guys we gave up. If the Canes would rather use those guys for a bigger fish, then fine, but Dundon and team don't seem to want to be taking on too much salary.

From this article after our win against them the other night...
Oilers' Puljujarvi bereft of confidence after another soul-crushing night - Sportsnet.ca

...there was this excerpt.

03132435-45B7-4217-98AA-732B2BCD0492.png

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Haven't watched much of CLB this year. Is Alex Wennberg a "buy low" sort of guy? Or a Victor Rask sort of guy?
I suggested this a few weeks back and it did not get a lot of traction on here - as a trade similar to the Rask trade as with his current contract Wennberg can not hold a ton of value. Any trade for him would be a risk for sure.

Unlike Rask however, he has speed and he has the skills to be an effective top 6 player. Some of the complaints the CBJs have about him are
1) while he is a playmaker he never shoots, like never (55 times this year tied for 461st in the league). To put this in perspective TVR has taken 15 more shots than him this year and NN has only 7 less in the time he has been on the Canes. Apparently this allows the other team to completely ignore that defensively and otherwise shut down his play making.
2) He could stand to get a little better defensively

All that said I would be willing to take a chance on him if the price was right (i.e. very cheap). He was at one time hailed as the future CBJ 1C (2.5 years ago). Of course it is not my money.

- also since both of these teams are fighting for the same playoff spot I'd imagine any deal would wait until the off season

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Three goals in last 80 games.

Thanks Captain Obvious. I can see stats myself. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I'm fully aware he is struggling. I'm asking for opinions of people that watch him. Is he slow? Has he completely lost confidence? Have there been injuries hampering him? Is he in the dog house? etc. The guy had 59 points 2 years ago and now is struggling badly. Did someone prop him up in his 59 point season and he's now a bad contract like Rask? Or is he like a Neiderreiter (on a lesser scale) where his production fell off and he wasn't getting minutes/top 6 usage?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Personally I'm not that interested, but he is center.

I'd be pretty disappointed if the Canes spent that $6 million on Henrique rather than pay a bit more to bring in someone more likely to make a difference. Duchene is only reportedly going to make about $8-9 million. Lot of cash to pay for a middling 2nd/3rd line C (or winger).

I've watched him a good bit since Juniors and he is a Rod-type guy, no doubt. That salary is killer though. IIRC he is good friend with Taylor Hall, so unless the plan is to woo in Hall as a UFA next offseason I'd pass.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If he’d be open to playing out the year in Charlotte and the cost was a prospect like Gauthier and a mid rd pick, I’d hope the CAR braintrust thought long and hard about that.

Maybe Roy, but I'd be reluctant to bail on Gauthier just yet. Frankly, Gauthier is proving to be more of what we expected of him every day. He's a guy I'd hang on to so that we can see if his development continues.

I'd take him for a second and a prospect. Let's say McKeown.

I think they'd take this deal and run....McKeown gets pretty underrated here. He's NHL ready in my book.

Some time with a good prospects coach like Velucci could help significantly but good luck getting that to happen.

^^^This right here! If you could convince him that playing with the leading AHL team through the end of the year and a playoff run was in his best interest, my guess is Velucci could do some shaping and molding.

Exactly this as well^^^. I don't think Aho was blowing smoke in his quote and it is pretty apparent that Edmonton doesn't really know what to do with high end prospects that aren't NHL ready.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Henrique's last four years
75162743-6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
82202040-20
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

J Staal's last four years
4661824-6