Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
You think Florida would bite though?
I don’t know. They are purportedly looking to cut costs and Bean plus a first could help with that. Plus they have Bob forever and a good backup now, making Knight an unnecessary luxury.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I don’t know. They are purportedly looking to cut costs and Bean plus a first could help with that. Plus they have Bob forever and a good backup now, making Knight an unnecessary luxury.
I think we would be more likely to get Bob than Spencer. It would be awesome if we did.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't see a particularly compelling reason for them to give up Knight. Seems like you don't rush him right now and then take advantage of him being a cheap back up, or even a guy that steals starts from Bob, for three years on his ELC. I guess if the value is amazing, but I'm not sure I see it.

Seems like you might have an easier time trying to position for Askarov.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think we would be more likely to get Bob than Spencer. It would be awesome if we did.
Yikes, seven years left at 10 million and he’s 31?

Hard pass on Bob.

As for Knight their backup situation seems fluid enough to think they can bring the kid along slow and figure out that decision when they have to a few years from now. There’s no point for them to rush into a trade right now. Goalies take time. Maybe they would trade him if it got them a needed piece but that’s not the current situation I would think.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Hard pass on Bob.

As for Knight their backup situation seems fluid enough to think they can bring the kid along slow and figure out that decision when they have to a few years from now. There’s no point for them to rush into a trade right now. Goalies take time. Maybe the would trade him if it got them a needed piece but that’s not the current situation I would think.

I can't see them trading Knight either. Knight can be a cheap backup when ready which helps deal with Bob's contract. And then Florida "just" has to hope for a buyout in the next cba negotiation in 4 years or see if they get an LTIR escape.

I can't see Bob agreeing to expansion draft exposure or Seattle jumping at him.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

Hard pass on Bob.

As for Knight their backup situation seems fluid enough to think they can bring the kid along slow and figure out that decision when they have to a few years from now. There’s no point for them to rush into a trade right now. Goalies take time. Maybe they would trade him if it got them a needed piece but that’s not the current situation I would think.

Depends. If the Panthers gave us two firsts to get rid of the contract because ownership are being cheapskates again, I'd consider it. At his best, Bob is capable of playing at a Vezina level. Besides that, though, hell no.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Depends. If the Panthers gave us two firsts to get rid of the contract because ownership are being cheapskates again, I'd consider it. At his best, Bob is capable of playing at a Vezina level. Besides that, though, hell no.
Two firsts isn’t worth 90 million imo. Especially when he’s 37. The difference between Bob and Mrazek to me isn’t worth the difference. Yeah, he’s generally better. Not that much better. To me Price isn’t worth his contract though so I’m probably not the best judge on this.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

Not even then on Bob. Knight or move on to another targeted young, potentially-elite cornerstone goalie.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Two firsts isn’t worth 90 million imo. Especially when he’s 37. The difference between Bob and Mrazek to me isn’t worth the difference. Yeah, he’s generally better. Not that much better. To me Price isn’t worth his contract though so I’m probably not the best judge on this.
His contract was worth 70 million.
He has 52.5 million real money left on his deal with 6 years left.

my point wasn’t acquiring Bob, it was it would be cool if we acquired Knight (dont see it happening).

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
If Vancouver is able to sign Markstrom, would people here be interested in acquiring Demko? I haven't given that much thought given the UFA goalies available. Would he be worth one of the younger/AHL defensemen as a flier, or just stick with Reimer and Mrazek at that point?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If Vancouver is able to sign Markstrom, would people here be interested in acquiring Demko? I haven't given that much thought given the UFA goalies available. Would he be worth one of the younger/AHL defensemen as a flier, or just stick with Reimer and Mrazek at that point?

I like Demko a lot. If the price isn't too high, I think that he would be a nice swing to take. He was ultra-hyped by Nucks fans and prospect scouts a couple of seasons ago before Markstrom suddenly blossomed into what people thought that he could be back when he was a Panthers prospect. My guess, though, is that the Canes either stand pat or sign Lehner this offseason (I think that his potential UFA destinations are basically down to Carolina and Detroit, barring a huge surprise).

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I like Demko a lot. If the price isn't too high, I think that he would be a nice swing to take. He was ultra-hyped by Nucks fans and prospect scouts a couple of seasons ago before Markstrom suddenly blossomed into what people thought that he could be back when he was a Panthers prospect. My guess, though, is that the Canes either stand pat or sign Lehner this offseason (I think that his potential UFA destinations are basically down to Carolina and Detroit, barring a huge surprise).
Chicago could still be a destination, especially if they want to cut ties with Crawford.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
This sounds fun:

Per CapFriendly:

Conditions: New Jersey receives a 2020 4th round pick if Vatanen plays in 5 regular-season games this season. The pick upgrades to a 2020 3rd round pick if Vatanen plays in 12 regular-season games this season, or if Carolina makes the playoffs and he plays in 70% of their playoff games.

I don't know, what day he was cleared to play by the doctor? Though, NJ obviously would say that he wasn't activated because of the covid situation.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Not sure NJ will win that unless he somehow plays all 5 games against NY and it goes 5... It'll be weird but that's about the only way I can see them getting it.. but I'm not a lawyer and I'm not involved in the contract :)

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
No one could realistically prepare themselves for the shutdown of the league, so there's that. On general terms, I think that is grounds for an after-the-fact renegotiation of trades that had a condition based on either the teams' or the player's performance in regular season 2019-20.

But I don't see how you can actually do it except individually looking into the particulars of every trade. For example, had NJ not traded injured Vatanen, ultimately he would have had zero value to lottery team NJ beyond the pending UFA renegotion rights. But then again, Canes agreed to the conditioned term, so you kind of need to determine the speculative "what if" in some fair fashion.

I don't know. Maybe the league will tell the parties of such trades to "try sort it out yourselves", but probably it ends up in a blanket policy that a pick will be transferred but it will be one or two rounds lower than in the original condition. So maybe we will initially give a 5th or 6th, that may be upgraded to 4th or 5th, respectively, if he plays in 70% of the Canes playoff games as per the part of the original condition that can still be determined by playing.

And there will still be maneuvering and micromanaging if the team doesn't have the said pick or insists that they especially wanted to retain their 3rd because they intended to be offersheeting someone in the particular salary bracket that needs an unencumbered 3rd for the compensation and it will be hard to say to them that offersheets don't happen because of that bastard Aho.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
What sort of offer would it take to get Necas?

I see absolutely nothing on the market I'd trade Necas for right now. 2 more years on an ELC, expansion exempt, great young RW with C potential?

Unless someone offered a young proven 1C signed long term I don't see how Necas would be moved. It would have to be the type of deal that gets the GM acquiring Necas fired. And Carolina has no need to trade Necas for more D.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Just to chum the waters a bit, what about a guy like Malkin? Elite player, better than Necas will ever be, but aging. Just 2 years left on the contract is also a problem, but it's also 2 years of Malkin and a chance at more. Pens get younger and start to plan for the future with both Malkin and Crosby aging out, we get a hell of a win now player and mentor for Svech.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't think we're in maximize a two year window phase yet in the way a Malkin trade would signal. I'd just stick with the long term of Necas. If we find ourselves in super obvious short term contender mode, you can find high end players that are near the end of the contract somewhat frequently for lesser futures than Necas.

Reactions: Chrispy

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
how about instead of trading Necas, we offer sheet Cirelli? Basically betting that we are going to be top tier next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad