All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread - off-season chaos edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'd like to see Granlund here. If not, hopefully, Dzingel bounces back. Cause he seems like the easiest and most obvious choice to move if it came to that.
I think Granlund’s game fits our team better than Zinger. But I doubt we pay what would be needed to move him, so nothing happens.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
We not have to pay to move Dzingel if none of the UFAs want to go to Nashville. Nashville will look to add scoring. They arent going to pay much of anything for Dzingel but we shouldnt have to pay to move him.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
We not have to pay to move Dzingel if none of the UFAs want to go to Nashville. Nashville will look to add scoring. They arent going to pay much of anything for Dzingel but we shouldnt have to pay to move him.
They have cap room to sign someone; no way a guy takes minimum or risks not playing instead of playing there.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
For some reason they either can't or don't want to move Dzingel. I mean, he didn't really do much to help himself in that regard either. We were all expecting a guy with a 15 sh% but he ended up with one less than half that.

He clearly seems like he doesn't fit in our system. I'd put money on they tried to move him but no one was buying.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
For some reason they either can't or don't want to move Dzingel. I mean, he didn't really do much to help himself in that regard either. We were all expecting a guy with a 15 sh% but he ended up with one less than half that.

He clearly seems like he doesn't fit in our system. I'd put money on they tried to move him but no one was buying.
I would put my money on the management team was willing to move him but unwilling to pay to move him. Since most teams were looking to weaponize the cap space, the mgmt team found the 2nd round pick, or so, more valuable than the cap space. The mgmt team will use their money to get picks, not use picks to get money. We want a constant rotation of possible roster players on ELC to fill in the secondary scoring with the big contracts Turbo, Aho, Svech, Necas, Slavin, Dougie, etc are or will be in the future.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I thought I saw some blurb about Nino and his new training regimen. My money is on him as our bounce-back candidate. 18-20 goal and 40-50 points from him would be just fine.

I think that every single one of our players is going to have bounce-backs to some extent, considering the fact that, instead of facing teams like Philly/Boston/Washington/Pittsburgh/Islanders, we get clubs like Chicago and Detroit, among others.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

I think it's more likely that they won't move him UNLESS they can get someone else in first. If Dzingel bounces back he gives secondary scoring, if not then he's a backup forward who can reasonably slot in just about anywhere on a temporary basis. You don't trade that away until/unless you have a replacement. You don't move Dzingel/Nino without another move first

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
My thoughts on the Laine rumor that refuses to flush:

Bringing in Laine is antithetical to the way the front office has been building this team. Even if they need to bring in another game breaking offensive talent, it’s still too early. If they continue to play their cards right, they’ll look to replace the likes of Niederreiter and Gardiner internally with guys on ELCs like Suzuki and Jarvis. This will open up a decent amount of money to add proper support to Aho and Svech, who will have a couple more years of growth and maturation under their belts. Fingers crossed management has the foresight to look a few years into the future where the stars seem to align around the same time our window of contention is fully open.

Bridgeburner96

Jan 20, 2015
I mean that makes sense, but so does adding an extremely talented young player that will play and grow with our team (guys of a similar age). He fits the age of our group perfectly. So there's no need to wait until later. It's not like he's a vet that will age out before we need him, I guess is what I'm saying.

Bridgeburner96

Jan 20, 2015
I also see it as we have a lot of good distributors and can use more finishers. Of course we have guys that do both and several guys that the potential to score more goals/bounce back.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Based on his history, I am having trouble seeing him accepting RBA’s line roulette very well. It could result in a more explosive Haula type of situation.

Given market conditions and the FO’s propensity to get the most bang for their buck, I have trouble seeing them switching things up for any pricey big name at this time unless it’s a killer deal. I could see the front office holding tight for a while until a a return to time when there are tickets and easy merch to sell in order to optimize an investment of his nature. At present, some of our most loyal fans won’t even be able to easily watch the Canes on TV next week due to the provider mess. Even with our terrific social media group, promotion is going to be harder if you can’t see them in action.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I actually think Laine would fit in pretty well with our system and flourish with his fellow countrymen, I just don’t think it’s the right price to pay on multiple standpoints.

If we could move out Nino and Gardiner, as well as bring in a goalie like Kuemper, it’s a different story. As things stand, our goaltending is not good enough to downgrade our defense by trading Pesce, and our cap situation is not where it needs to be to add someone like Laine at the moment with the contracts we already have.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I actually think Laine would fit in pretty well with our system and flourish with his fellow countrymen, I just don’t think it’s the right price to pay on multiple standpoints.

If we could move out Nino and Gardiner, as well as bring in a goalie like Kuemper, it’s a different story. As things stand, our goaltending is not good enough to downgrade our defense by trading Pesce, and our cap situation is not where it needs to be to add someone like Laine at the moment with the contracts we already have.
exactly, with a guy like Laine you need more guys like Pesce on defense, not less.

We have decided (or at least it seems to me) that we have tried to build offense through the draft (most are still developing) and in the mean time add offense on defense.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If they acquire Laine, I think it needs to be accepted that his acquisition would directly or indirectly lead to Hamilton’s exit.

I don't think that is necessarily true.

If the Canes acquired Laine I would guess their contract offer would have a ceiling at Aho's $8.4 million. Laine already makes $6.75 million so that is a ~$1.5 million difference they can make up by letting one of Dzingel/McGinn/Martinook walk.

Hamilton makes $5.75 million. I would guess his ceiling is $8 million under current circumstances unless he is a slam-dunk top-10 D this year. That $2.25 million difference can be made up by dealing whichever of Skjei or Gardiner is move moveable this year. Semin's $2.3 million buyout also comes off the books next offseason.

It's going to be tight but it is also similarly tight for like 20/31 teams in the league.

Reactions: A Star is Burns
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad