All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread - off-season chaos edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
The problem with trading both Dzingle and Reimer in the same deal is that it only give cap relief for this year when we don’t need it. And who know, maybe Dzingle is one of those guys who over preforms in a contract year

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The problem with trading both Dzingle and Reimer in the same deal is that it only give cap relief for this year when we don’t need it. And who know, maybe Dzingle is one of those guys who over preforms in a contract year
Our cap situation isn't bad next year though, 16 contacts at 49.3, and I expect RW3, Foegele and Fleury to add maybe about 5 mil to that. Our issue is that we need to address goalie for that season still, hopefully a deal for Kuemper can help there.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Depending on any other moves they have planned it would be good to have breathing room this year. If they swing for the fences and bring in a Laine/Gaudreau and/or Markstrom/Kuemper/Andersen this year they will need some space that shipping out Dzingle would provide.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Depending on any other moves they have planned it would be good to have breathing room this year. If they swing for the fences and bring in a Laine/Gaudreau and/or Markstrom/Kuemper/Andersen this year they will need some space that shipping out Dzingle would provide.
I agree I don’t dislike the move. I don’t know that I would do it in a vacuum- without knowing what else is planned

Reactions: DaveG

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Because i don't want to part with my best D prospect plus a very usefull roster player in such a trade.

Kinda feel like we're good on LHD for a while. Would love to keep Bean but something has to give and with the expansion draft coming up we could lose him for nothing. Converting Nino + Bean into an extended Palmieri would be a big win for us and really balance our top 6 nicely.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The Carolina Hurricanes extended qualifying offers to forwards Clark Bishop, Warren Foegele, Steven Lorentz and Spencer Smallman and defensemen Haydn Fleury, Gustav Forsling, Oliwer Kaski and Roland McKeown.

Jacob Pritchard and Callum Booth are now set to become UFAs on Friday

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Kinda feel like we're good on LHD for a while. Would love to keep Bean but something has to give and with the expansion draft coming up we could lose him for nothing. Converting Nino + Bean into an extended Palmieri would be a big win for us and really balance our top 6 nicely.

That could change quickly if we get a good offer for Skjei and expose Fleury. Not that I wouldn't do that trade for Palmieri, but I get the hesitation to part with Beano. I actually hope we somehow move Skjei for a good offer and pay Seattle to take Gardner and then we can roll with Fleury and Bean rounding out our LHD. It does seem though that Bean isn't really a favorite of Rod's so that may be unlikely.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
That could change quickly if we get a good offer for Skjei and expose Fleury. Not that I wouldn't do that trade for Palmieri, but I get the hesitation to part with Beano. I actually hope we somehow move Skjei for a good offer and pay Seattle to take Gardner and then we can roll with Fleury and Bean rounding out our LHD. It does seem though that Bean isn't really a favorite of Rod's so that may be unlikely.

?

If you're basing that on the lack of callups, that can easily be explained by the numbers game. A team with cup aspirations couldn't gamble on a rookie PMD to play big minutes. There was no room for him to play small minutes given the number of NHL caliber defenseman ahead of him.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
?

If you're basing that on the lack of callups, that can easily be explained by the numbers game. A team with cup aspirations couldn't gamble on a rookie PMD to play big minutes. There was no room for him to play small minutes given the number of NHL caliber defenseman ahead of him.

More just style of play combined with that and also that he was drafted before the current FO was here. That's more just speculation too, but I've seen others here mention it. May be completely wrong...

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
?

I think it’s fair to say Rod prefers defensive types for call ups as he expects them to play fourth line/third pair roles and prefers to raise the current bottom half of the roster to higher roles as needed during the season even if they aren’t suited to it because he trusts them more even if they don’t have the game for the role. He rewards them for time served. While it doesn’t mean he doesn’t like Bean, I think it’s fair to say he doesn’t trust him yet, and the kid is what...22? He’s ready to go at this point. We’ll see if he really starts working Bean in this year, because he really should be the 7th guy at least.

Rod is a vet oriented defensive minded coach imo. He’s not far from being a Hitchcock, you get more playing time the more obsessed with defense you get. To some extent he was forced to play Svech and Necas as we need the talent, he doesn’t need to do that on defense yet.

I think you’re both right, Bean has it tough with Rod because he isn’t a Rod player and at the same time it’s understandable because working a guy like Bean in with small minutes is tough.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I think it’s fair to say Rod prefers defensive types for call ups as he expects them to play fourth line/third pair roles and prefers to raise the current bottom half of the roster to higher roles as needed during the season even if they aren’t suited to it because he trusts them more even if they don’t have the game for the role. He rewards them for time served. While it doesn’t mean he doesn’t like Bean, I think it’s fair to say he doesn’t trust him yet, and the kid is what...22? He’s ready to go at this point. We’ll see if he really starts working Bean in this year, because he really should be the 7th guy at least.

Rod is a vet oriented defensive minded coach imo. He’s not far from being a Hitchcock, you get more playing time the more obsessed with defense you get. To some extent he was forced to play Svech and Necas as we need the talent, he doesn’t need to do that on defense yet.

I think you’re both right, Bean has it tough with Rod because he isn’t a Rod player and at the same time it’s understandable because working a guy like Bean in with small minutes is tough.

Most coaches aren't going to play an unproven guy when there are quality veteran options ahead of him. I can't say that it's the wrong approach when in a win now competitive position.

This is more of a managerial thing than a Brind'Amour doesn't like the player deal. The player personnel guys are not creating opportunity on the backend. Fleury went through this too. He played most of 17/18 in the Top 4 at the NHL level and did fine. Waddell and co. couldn't get the value for Faulk they desired, but signed de Haan anyway. Fleury became the odd man out based on ability. History repeated itself last Summer. Gardiner was brought it to replace Faulk, whose trade necessitated Edmundson coming back the other way. Neither of them was the solution on the 2nd pair, so they went out and brought it Skjei. In the opportunity Fleury received because of injury up the depth chart, it appears that he has forced the decision makers to carve out a role for him.

Even from that managerial perspective, I'm not sure it says anything about how they view the player. They sent Fleury down in the last year of his waivers exemption. Bean is looking at similar treatment, unless multiple LHD are getting cleared out, which is unlikely. Tough circumstance for the player.

Reactions: bleedgreen

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
It's not JR era anymore, man. Duclair is lazy and mediocre guy. Imagine being in 5 teams at 25 years old age...

Reactions: Unsustainable

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I dont know the dude is hanging around half a point per game for his career and its not like 25 is old. But then again he was tied for third in scoring on a bad ottawa team and they didn't want him back so that would definitely give me pause
Hard to judge anything Ottawa does because its typically money related.

2Minutes4Surging

Jul 5, 2017
Durham, NC
I don't think it's that Ottawa doesn't want him. It's that all these teams are trying to save money and they don't want to go to arbitration with a player like Duclair, that just put up 23 goals. He had one good year and now there is potential they will have to shell out some serious cash to keep him, pending the arbitrator's decision. I don't think he would be the best fit for a Brind'amour type as a coach. He didn't work for Tortorella. For reference, see Dzingel.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
I don't think it's that Ottawa doesn't want him. It's that all these teams are trying to save money and they don't want to go to arbitration with a player like Duclair, that just put up 23 goals. He had one good year and now there is potential they will have to shell out some serious cash to keep him, pending the arbitrator's decision. I don't think he would be the best fit for a Brind'amour type as a coach. He didn't work for Tortorella. For reference, see Dzingel.

Reactions: Unsustainable
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad