All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread - off-season chaos edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I'm pretty sure this trade will not happen for the simple reason that since they would have to cross borders therefore 14 day quarantine so even if it happened today they would miss the first week of the season and still have not practiced with team. I think

I was thinking along the same lines, very good point here.

Isn’t there also a 7 day quarantine for players coming into NHL teams stateside? So Laine would not be available to theCanes for the first few games/practices as well as the longer period of time the Jets would have to wait for any player(s) traded from the Canes to be available definitely mucks up the “hit the ground” running narrative of a shortened season.

There’s also the thought that the Canes made wholesale changes last offseason and last trade deadline, and they they “like their group” at this point. They may want to see what they have with the Trocheck and Skjei additions prior to making major changes. Not to mention, they would majorly complicate their already tenuous cap situation and also complicate their expansion draft decisions to come with the addition of Laine.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I don't have any concerns they could make the cap figures work, even with keeping Hamilton and the Svech extension.

It would certainly squeeze out the middle class in our salary structure, but there's a lot of young near-NHL ready talent coming up on ELCs so the timing would work. Especially in the bottom 6 where there's going to be a good amount of turnover from the McGinn/Martinook/Dzingle/Foegs crowd all expiring. Could also throw Nino and Gards in there for potentially dumps, although we're likely stuck with the latter. As long as Skjei was included in the deal it would work for this season. It would take a decent amount of moving parts over the summer, but I think that's going to happen anyway.

All that aside, the team has been pretty much set for a while now and it seems unlikely this kind of move would happen in the near future.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I don't have any concerns they could make the cap figures work, even with keeping Hamilton and the Svech extension.

It would certainly squeeze out the middle class in our salary structure, but there's a lot of young near-NHL ready talent coming up on ELCs so the timing would work. Especially in the bottom 6 where there's going to be a good amount of turnover from the McGinn/Martinook/Dzingle/Foegs crowd all expiring. Could also throw Nino and Gards in there for potentially dumps, although we're likely stuck with the latter. As long as Skjei was included in the deal it would work for this season. It would take a decent amount of moving parts over the summer, but I think that's going to happen anyway.

All that aside, the team has been pretty much set for a while now and it seems unlikely this kind of move would happen in the near future.
Yes, we could make the cap "work" like Toronto makes it "work" but we would then have to pray our best players stay healthy and continue to play at their current level or better just to make the playoffs, and we would have to pray all our best prospects pan out while giving us 3-5 years of cheap production.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Yes I agree, if our star players don't stay healthy and our prospects don't pan out then we're ****ed no matter what. Having more star players would make it easier to absorb an injury to one of them.

Toronto has their own set of issues, but we have a window here of having Slavin, Pesce, Turbo (and to an extent Aho) locked down at some unbelievable rates that we should take advantage of. I'm not convinced Laine is the specific player we need to go after, but in general we should be all over opportunities to acquire star players if the market is undervaluing them.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Hamilton has always been gifted offensively. What moved him to the "must keep" category for me last season was his improvement on defense. Not only was he much better according to my eye test, when Dougie went down last season he had a +/- of +30 through 47 games, something like 10 points better than the next best Cane at the time. I'm sure we're all aware of the limitations of that stat, but when there's that big a difference compared to the rest of the team, I think it does have meaning.

So a big question to me is: has Hamilton raised his defensive game to another level, one that we can expect him to maintain going forward? I think there's a good chance of it, due in large part to my "Slavin/Pesce Theory". Specifically, I don't think a d-man can play on the same team with Slavin and Pesce for very long without really focusing on his defensive play. I mean, think about sitting through meetings breaking down game tape. Seems like being compared to Slavin and Pesce game after game would be pretty motivating. Add in Brindy's focus and I think there's a good chance Hamilton has boosted his D to a higher level going forward.
If I recall, Dougie asked Rod at the end of his first season here what it would take for him to be a top a top echelon D and Rod told him to up his defense.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I will say that any Laine talks will have some extension attached to it. At least IMO, I probably wouldn't acquire him unless you knew for sure that Dougie wanted Karlsson money (which I strongly doubt). If Winnipeg is willing to give him that (which they might, because their defense is a barren wasteland), then do a Laine-for-Hamilton sign-and-trade deal a la Heatley-for-Hossa.

Reactions: Bridgeburner96

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Yes I agree, if our star players don't stay healthy and our prospects don't pan out then we're ****ed no matter what. Having more star players would make it easier to absorb an injury to one of them.

Toronto has their own set of issues, but we have a window here of having Slavin, Pesce, Turbo (and to an extent Aho) locked down at some unbelievable rates that we should take advantage of. I'm not convinced Laine is the specific player we need to go after, but in general we should be all over opportunities to acquire star players if the market is undervaluing them.
Toronto at least has a bonafide goaltender who can put up at least a .915 save percentage regardless of how much of a dumpster fire his defense is. Meanwhile we've been building a top 5 defense for several seasons now and our goalies still can barely manage to put up the same numbers for more than a season at a time.

I just feel we're better off staying put than trading the amount of assets it would take acquire Laine and sign him long term. It just doesn't make sense for us at this time.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Chevy was probably getting antsy to move Laine again and just floated Pesce and Necas to try establish a market for him.

Good. Nothing would screw up this team more right now than a trade that takes guys away and makes you wait 2 weeks for the return for a guy that has had defensive responsibility issues.
Let's be reality, the potential quarantine is way down on the list on why we shouldn't trade for him.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
As the guy said to her in response, he didn't really report we're working on the trade right now. He reported we're interested still but there wasn't a fit at any point. And like many of us said, slow playing that interest wouldn't be the worst strategy. That's not to say that we're going to trade for him ever, but what she said and what he said aren't mutually exclusive. And even though she went hard after him, he's hardly the only one that has reported our interest. I'm not this guy's biggest fan, but others I consider more credible have reported this interest before, and I think even recently again.

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
Does the PP really need much of a boost anymore? It was top 10 in the league last season.

I don't see any way acquiring Laine makes us an overall better team considering what we would realistically have to give up.
True but Imagine a line centered by Aho, Laine on the right and Svech on the left....wow, pretty amazing. And even without Pesce we would still have a good defense with dougie and Slavin staying.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
True but Imagine a line centered by Aho, Laine on the right and Svech on the left....wow, pretty amazing. And even without Pesce we would still have a good defense with dougie and Slavin staying.
I'm imagining that line and I think it is built wrong. All three of those guys are more shooters than guys who setup others. Don't get me wrong, both Aho and Svech are really good at doing both, but they are scorers first. One of Svech or Laine would be better replaced by Turbo to make that line better.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
I'm imagining that line and I think it is built wrong. All three of those guys are more shooters than guys who setup others. Don't get me wrong, both Aho and Svech are really good at doing both, but they are scorers first. One of Svech or Laine would be better replaced by Turbo to make that line better.

100% this.

Turbo could end up with 100 points on assists alone. Side benefit: we might never yell "SHOOT THE PUCK!" at Turbo, again.

Maybe. :sarcasm:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
100% this.

Turbo could end up with 100 points on assists alone. Side benefit: we might never yell "SHOOT THE PUCK!" at Turbo, again.

Maybe. :sarcasm:

tenor.gif

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-8_9-3-42.jpeg
    upload_2021-1-8_9-3-42.jpeg
    5 KB · Views: 2

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018

I've always seem Aho as balanced or even pass-first player. He just happens to be so versatile that he can score if needed. And when you play with Mr. Salibandy (indoor field hockey for non-Finns), pass-first TT.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma

Clark are u from Bolzano? I would have been happy to get my hands on Pulju btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad