All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread II - The Search for More Depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Absolutely NOT. Quick is on his third consecutive bad season and has two more years left (after this one) at a $5.8M cap hit. Quick would be purely a name brand pickup based on his past glory, and those types of acquisitions almost never work. He's not an upgrade on any of the three goalies we have, and he's going to be a lot more expensive.

Also what does Justin Williams winning Cups with Quick have to do with anything. Is that going to give him some magical powers to predict that Quick is suddenly going to bounce back at age 32?

He also has the Avalanche getting Kuemper for a 2nd round pick. Which seems like the better option for both Arizona (Kuemper out of the West) and Carolina (Kuemper >>>> Quick).

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
He also has the Avalanche getting Kuemper for a 2nd round pick. Which seems like the better option for both Arizona (Kuemper out of the West) and Carolina (Kuemper >>>> Quick).

Well, Francouz and a 2nd. Francouz is quite a valuable piece himself, albeit an injured one. He played really well last year.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I will say that Burnside, though he often is an interesting read, usually isn't someone that looks at analytics very much when considering "upgrades". He, like most casual observers, reads the names on the roster and determines whether they need to make a trade or not. Personally, with Nedeljkovic playing like he has been, my focus would be to make sure that he plays enough games to not become a Group 6 UFA, not to acquire another goalie that could take minutes away from him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If he's cheap, and the goal is to have him around to play 3rd line winger and be an insurance policy for a center injury, then I can see the rationale, even if I'm not sure it's the right deal for the Canes.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
If Tro is out for a while, it wouldn't be the worst thing, especially if he comes in super-motivated...can't be shown up by former offensive-black-hole Jordan. I'd be more worried about the off-season, if we'd feel obligated to bring him back next year (especially if we won the Cup with him). On the one hand the GMBC has shown they're not afraid to trade away or not sign guys regardless of "loyalty. On the other, if EStaal is one of Rod's "guys", does that add pressure to keep him until retirement?

Svechnicanes

Oct 10, 2018
It's hard for me to evaluate, the last time I saw Eric play consistently was in the stands before he was traded. He was an atrocious 1C at the time, taking lots of bad penalties (offensive zone, stick infractions) at just about the worst possible moments. Then he was traded and got ripped apart by NYR fans media but rehab'd his image quite well in Minnesota. Now its back in the tank. Watched a few games of Buffalo and he's just invisible.

Even if we could get the best version of Eric back (talking about now's version, not 2006 Staal, obviously), I'm not sure it helps us THAT much, and the risk just seems not worth it to me.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Eric was still pretty productive last season, and obviously the last several years in Minnesota. Perhaps he's cooked at this point, but it might just be the Sabres. They are ****ing awful. I think he'd do pretty well on a good team where he doesn't have to be the guy. I'd happily take him back and I don't think the team is so mentally fragile that they'd have a major issue with it.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Perhaps he's cooked at this point, but it might just be the Sabres. They are ****ing awful.

It is a remarkable level of ineptitude, really. 5 total goals between Eichel, Hall, and Skinner halfway into the season. 6 wins in 27 games. It's kind of mind bottling, they have young high picks (Eichel, Dahlin), other young players who actually are playing well (Reinhart, Olofsson), a decent looking group of veteran players (Hall, Staal, Skinner), but instead of being a semi-competent NHL team, they get this. I'm amazed that Kruger still has a job.

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
They’re probably hoping this is a Justin Williams like leadership role. Not sure how he’s matured in that position though.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Eric was still pretty productive last season, and obviously the last several years in Minnesota. Perhaps he's cooked at this point, but it might just be the Sabres. They are ****ing awful. I think he'd do pretty well on a good team where he doesn't have to be the guy. I'd happily take him back and I don't think the team is so mentally fragile that they'd have a major issue with it.

It could be just being beaten down by the Sabres, but he looked painfully slow the couple of times I watched him this year. Also, a bit concerning that Guerin moved him when their C depth was Eriksson Ek, Rask and Bjugstad/Bonino.

Reactions: TheBigLetowski

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Gimme Rakell, Bennett or Hall over Staal, but I wouldn’t hate the idea. Having a guy like him with experience and the ability to play C as depth could be invaluable.

On another note, given news about Terry being available from Anaheim, I wonder if they could get a package deal of Terry plus Hakanpaa? They may like the appeal of acquiring Terry potentially at a lower price and Hakanpaa would be good depth as well.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Eric didn't want to go to Buffalo to begin with. He said he considered retiring rather than accepting the trade, but just did out of respect for Kevyn Adams.

And the sabres are so dysfunctional, who knows what any of those guys will do outside of there.

Worst case scenario, Eric is another big bruising responsible faceoff guy that you can put anywhere, and he knows how to do the right thing. Best case, Canes add a 4th? 2c for peanuts.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
It could be just being beaten down by the Sabres, but he looked painfully slow the couple of times I watched him this year. Also, a bit concerning that Guerin moved him when their C depth was Eriksson Ek, Rask and Bjugstad/Bonino.

Wouldn't hurt to put a clock on him. The one thing that's pretty obvious about our team is the speed. Will surely suck if he can't keep up.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I really hope we're passing on this whole Eric Staal thing. A) he's got that Buffalo stank on him now; B) It's like trying to recapture a past that wasn't all that amazing the first time around; C) he's got 10 points in 27 games; D) we don't need centers, we need a winger, so if you're going to acquire somebody, get somebody who is actually a wing and don't bother trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Go get Zach Parise instead

Reactions: AD Skinner

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I fully admit that part of the reason I want Staal is that it would make a fair number of people upset (I mean, really, he's one of my favorite Canes and I think he could contribute, but the saltiness is a bonus). But I really don't think there is a huge downside. I think almost every negative thing people hold against him is overblown. I always have. Like I've said, he wouldn't be my only or biggest acquisition. He'd be a guy that if you can get relatively cheap as yet another option to add depth and guard against injuries, I'm all for it.

Now, if the front office looks at him and thinks it's not worth it or that he really is cooked, I don't really mind that either. I'm all about winning over the rest.

Reactions: Daeavorn

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Also, thought this was interesting after I saw it on my Twitter feed a few mins ago:

Zawaski actually had wind of the de Haan trade a day or so before it happened, so I would imagine his “source” is good. (I’m not saying he is implying or has implied anything about the Canes dumping Gardiner to Chicago).

I don’t think they’ll end up paying to dump Gardiner now, maybe later, but sending him and a sweetener to the Blackhawks would certainly open up some breathing room.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Gardiner under the tantalizing bad deals is pretty funny.

It doesn't shock me: he makes >$4M for multiple years, he cleared waivers, and he's currently on the taxi squad. That makes anyone think a team would try to dump the contract.

I think Gardiner could be useful to the team next year with potential departures, so I wouldn't look into dumping him until after the expansion draft and FA frenzy.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If I was openly shopping around to take a tantalazingly bad contract onto my team, I wouldn't actually list the most tantalizingly bad contracts but some middle tier ones I wouldn't actually mind living with.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
How about we eat 25% of Hall’s cap hit (after Buffalo ate the first half) to get one these “top prospects” Dubas is willing to key go off. Hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad