Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It was easy to see at 1-1 in the third set how gassed Vasek was. He got to 40-15 on serve in the third game, and I thought, "Oh, he's escaped." But that was as far as he could take it.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Dimitrov and Tsitsippas were on their way to an excellent match when the yips hit both of them badly around 3-all in the third set. For a change, Grigor toughed out, relatively speaking, a hard win.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Sonego up a double break against Djokovic in the Vienna. 5-1 first set.

I'm sure things will get back to normal, but :whaaa?:

Ok, maybe not :laugh:

6-2 6-1

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Riblev with a very well-played, well earned win over Thiem today. I think it is safe to say that Andrey has reached the first tier of contenders.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev out to Anderson in another match that seemed anything but vital. Daniil didn't have the year he had last year--those six straight finals at the end of the season might have taken something out of him---but he only fell two places to #6. I think he will bounce back big in 2021.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rublev defeats Anderson who has to withdraw at 1-4 in the second seet. The first set was entertaining power tennis all the way, very even, until Anderson, as he so often does, choked in his final service game. Kevin is awkward but he is big and strong and he can still hit the corners.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sonego, continuing his nice late-season run, defeats Evans in straight sets to make the Vienna final.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Oh no. CiCi Bellis who was in the midst of making a run of possibly winning back to back ITF events withdrew due to injury today. I’m going to cry myself to sleep if she’s gotten the same injury again. I hate seeing players come all the way back only to have the same thing happen

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

Seems that Zverev could be in a heap of trouble. You have to scroll down to read the translated tweets.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rublev and Sonego turned out about the way you would expect, 4 and 4 for Andrey. He has won three of his last four tournaments--Hamburg, St. Petersburg, Vienna.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It is worth noting that John Millman, on tour since 1989, won his first career title in Nur-Sulltan (Khazakhstan). I guess you could call it the Borat Open. Still a nice career highlight for a hard-working journeyman.

Reactions: Hadoop

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
It is worth noting that John Millman, on tour since 1989, won his first career title in Nur-Sulltan (Khazakhstan). I guess you could call it the Borat Open. Still a nice career highlight for a hard-working journeyman.

Whoa, he's been on tour since he was born? :D
Unless I am very much mistaken Millman was born in June 1989 and turned pro in 2006.

Still it is a nice result for him to win his first career title at this stage of his career.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Whoa, he's been on tour since he was born? :D
Unless I am very much mistaken Millman was born in June 1989 and turned pro in 2006.

Still it is a nice result for him to win his first career title at this stage of his career.
Well, he was an infant prodigy, you see. Really nothing in sports history quite like it.

Thanks for the correction. I'm an idiot. :nod:

Reactions: Maverick41

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Felix lost the first set to Cilic 6-0? Whoa. On serve in the second.

Felix breaks in the second last game, goes down 0-40 then wins the set. It's painful to watch this match.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A new coach can't arrive soon enough. Felix's first set love defeat was likely the most thoroughly inept set of tennis that I have seen this year.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
The projected semifinal match between Nadal and Zverev/Rublev is likely gonna decide who wins the tourney. Then again, this is Bercy and its 2020 so weirder things have happened in both situations lol

Reactions: Tuggy and kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The projected semifinal match between Nadal and Zverev/Rublev is likely gonna decide who wins the tourney. Then again, this is Bercy and its 2020 so weirder things have happened in both situations lol
For sure. Paris is always crazy as most players just want to get their season over with. So expect the unexpected.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Poor Thompson. He played valiantly in the second set, competitive in some very long rallies, but Rafa won nearly every one of them, especially the really important ones, 6-1, 7-6 for the match. Textbook demonstration of Nadal's undiluted tenacity and fighting spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad