Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Vasek has been the brightest of spots in Canadian tennis this year. He came back from a ton of injuries and didn't slow down after the long covid break.

Reactions: kihei and Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Sinner into his first final with a straight sets win.

He is just ridiculously talented.

I know this type of thing gets said about youngsters, but hard not to see him being a future #1.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Vasek's weak returning is the only thing that is preventing this set from becoming a rout, 4-3 on serve.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Either Gasquet is a little dinged up or he now has the court coverage of a beach towel.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
:baghead: Absolutely unbelievable. It took Vasek more energy to lose that set than it would have taken to win it.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Weird. Gasquet's body language and demeanor scream "Give ma an excuse to default."

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
6-2 in what seemed like a flash for Vasek. Gasquet continues to appear wounded in some way. I'm guessin g a back problem of some sort. He shouldn't be out there.

4-love in the third for Vasek. This match hasn't been competitive since the start of the second set.

6-7, 6-2, 6-love.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
It has been nearly two years since a friend of mine mentioned the name Sinner to me. I must say that after following him step by step up to here and knowing that tomorrow he will play his first final in an ATP tournament fills me with joy and excites me!

Reactions: Tuggy and kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Vasek had his chances, especially in the first set. Good, not great, tennis but a real milestone for Sinner.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Schwartzman, such a perplexing profile: too often breaking serve is easier for him than holding serve. 2-all in the first set after just such an exchange.

Medvedev with an emphatic win 3 and 4 over Sascha.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I thought Rublev was just having an off day, but Thiem is having to adjust to how bouncy this court is, too. Rafa must be pleased.

Beauty of a set so far, 4 all.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thiem take the breaker 9-7 after being down 2-5 with Rafa to serve. Great set,, An absolute war. Both players brilliant.

2bd set: Nadal breaks in the seventh game but can't consolidate it and Thiem wastes three breakers in the tenth game. Thiem wins the subsequent breaker, 6-3. Superb match.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hadoop

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What a carnival! Which one of these guys is going to choke last? And the answer is Rublev who double faults holding mach point and then fades into the woodwork quickly after that. The match only went three sets because Tsitsipas choked away his service game badly at 4-5 in the second set.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Schwartzman breaks Zverev but can't consolidate, 2-all. The story of Diego's life....

Zverev takes it in three messy sets.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Chess with rackets.

Medvedev breaks for 4-3. It took 39 minutes to get this far in the first set.....a second break immediately follows from a clearly frustrated Nole, 6-3 Daniil.

2nd set: Nole tries a little serve and volley but to no avail; another break, the third in a row, 2-love Daniil. This has become a dissection....Medvedev serves it out without any fuss. Very impressive win. Tough to beat this guy at his own game.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rafa qualifies with a three set win over Tsitsipas, winning 6-2 in the third set. Despite the set score, he looked pretty gassed much of the match which was more of a squeaker than the score makes it appear.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole in straight sets over Zverev who had so many opportunities to take control of the second set but wasn't up to it, per usual.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
All four of these guys really earned it---everything from here on out looks like a toss up in what seems a generational war.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
For much of the set it looked like Nole and Thiem had morphed into the same player which was kind of fascinating to watch. But Thiem was just a little more efficient in all the areas that mattered--serve, return, clutchiness, shot making--for a 7-5 win.

2nd set: Thiem wastes a match point, one of three, on a double fault and Nole takes an epic tie breaker, 12-10.

The difference in this match may end up being self-belief.

3rd set: The inevitable tie breaker. Nole rolls out to a 4-love lead, but wins only one more point the rest of the way. Absolutely epic match.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad