Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It makes sense when you think of it. Her name is still fairly well known, and she's playing well enough that she can make a first round match exciting. However, in this year specifically, I figure the national tennis associations would protect their own a bit more and save the wildcards for some of their players that have seen their revenues decimated.

Unless I missed something, she's the only Non-French player to receive an WC.
She's also a former semi-finalist.

EDIT : What was I thinking? Pironkova also received a WC, but that can be explained by the fact her USO results and family situation.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Wins in straight sets with a bang. He absolutely dominated Pella, 2 and 3. Good to see how quickly he made the transition to clay.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sinner beat Tsitsipas by the odd set scores of 6-1, 6-7, 6-2. He was serving for the second set at 5-3, having not allowed a break point, but he choked it away only to dominate again. in the third

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
This tournament is so boring. How does Carreno Busta get to the semis of the US Open yet totally fall apart a few days later? Right now it's 6-1, 5-1 for Nadal. Tsitsipas lost earlier, as Kihei said. None of these younger guys will step up.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nadal breadsticks Carreno Busta 6-1, 6-1. Pablo had a letdown post US Open and Nadal just had to keep the ball in play to get the win.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This tournament is so boring. How does Carreno Busta get to the semis of the US Open yet totally fall apart a few days later? Right now it's 6-1, 5-1 for Nadal. Tsitsipas lost earlier, as Kihei said. None of these younger guys will step up.
Stefanos' loss looked like a pout; Pablo's like a swoon.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Italian Open's main stadium is so distinctive. It is basically a hole in the ground which gives it a sunken amphitheater effect.When it is not in use, it looks like it could be transformed into a swimming pool with a little renovation.

foro-italico-internazionali-italia-770x578.jpg

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In an annoucer-less feed, Fabio is currently struggling there against Humbert, with them both seldom holding serve (seven breaks in the first set). Divorced from commentators and crowd noise, Fog is indeed a yappy, border-line brattty thing but no less fun to watch, picking fights with the umpire just for the hell of it.

Last edited:

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
The Italian Open's main stadium is so distinctive. It is basically a hole in the ground which gives it a sunken amphitheater effect.When it is not in use, it looks like it could be transformed into a swimming pool with a little renovation.

foro-italico-internazionali-italia-770x578.jpg

Foro Italico - Wikipedia

The swimming pool is behind the guy that took the picture! It's a wonderful sports complex.

Fognini lost and i am happy, didn't like Stefanos a bit yesterday but Sinner came to play.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
In an annoucer-less feed, Fabio is currently struggling there against Humbert, with them both seldom holding serve (seven breaks in the first set). Divorced from commentators and crowd noise, Fog is indeed a yappy, border-line brattty thing but no less fun to watch, picking fights with the umpire just for the hell of it.

Hate him for the same reasons :D

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Impressive win by Denis! After dropping 1 point in the first set breaker to lose it, he storms back and takes the next 2. Dimitrov is next in the quarters.

They're going to allow 1,000 spectators in the semis and final.

Reactions: kihei and Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I liked Denis' patience in that match, a very nice win against a talented young player playing on his home surface.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sinner looks disgruntled lately. He lost in three lacklustre sets today to Dimitrov. He managed to get hit behind the baseline by a Dimitrov drive that was well out of play. Thumped him in the ankle. I've been watching and playing tennis for three millennia and that is the first time I've ever seen that happen.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Sinner looks disgruntled lately. He lost in three lacklustre sets today to Dimitrov. He managed to get hit behind the baseline by a Dimitrov drive that was well out of play. Thumped him in the ankle. I've been watching and playing tennis for three millennia and that is the first time I've ever seen that happen.

I've heard good things about the Bronze Age of Tennis.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Djokovic, looking not very sparky, wins a error-filled three setter from Koepfer. If Nole makes it to Rafa, at this rate he will be eaten alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad