Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Nice easy day for Felix to reach the Cologne QF.

Don't want to jinx him but a nice chance here for that elusive first title.

Raonic looking to join the other two Canadians. He's up against Bublik right now.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Milos broke early in both sets, played well, and Bublik never did get his head out of his butt, so easy win, 3 and 2.

A hard-working Opelka knocked off Medvedev who seems to be having trouble getting back to the level he was at this time last year.

The court seems to favour heavy hitters.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Poor Karen: he got to just stand there and watch serves whizz by him on either side for most of the day. When Milos has that first serve rhythm going, as he did most of the time, that really does look like the best serve in the world. 6-1, 7-6 (1).

Reactions: Elvis P and Tuggy

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Poor Karen: he got to just stand there and watch serves whizz by him on either side for most of the day. When Milos has that first serve rhythm going, as he did most of the time, that really does look like the best serve in the world. 6-1, 7-6 (1).
I still can't believe his name is Karen lol

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Painting lines and casually hitting winners galore, Felix overwhelms Albot 3 and love. Radu pretty much gave up the ghost early in the second set. Can't blame him.

Reactions: Elvis P and Tuggy

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
How does entry for ATP Tour finals work thus year? Is it just ranking at year end (which includes the ranking points going back to 2019), or is it 2020 points only.

Shapovalov made the finals in Paris last year, so, if that's already part of his point calculation in the atp race, he's probably not going to improve that score. It makes winning here pretty important.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Denis lost in 3. Milos up 6-1 0-1 in the second vs. Coric.

Milos is pulling a Denis and is down 0-3 15-30.

Milos down a break and serving to stay in the third.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I was so looking forward to this match between the two most improved players since the break (and by some margin), and it sure didn't disappoint. Shapo played some great tennis, some dominant tennis, keeping his errors down in the process. But in the last two sets, though helped by a spate ofl double faults from Denis, Rublev returned serve like a demon possessed and took the match in three very well-played sets by both players. They both look like they are headed to the Top Five sooner rather than later.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Milos goes down as well. No Canadians in the final in St. Petersburg...

Felix in the 3rd and a game away from the final. Let's see if he can finish it off.

And he serves it out!

Nice win over RBA.

Zverev in the final.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Man, in that first set, Felix dominated, and with grace, a very good baseliner from the backcourt regardless of rally length. When he plays like that I just think "wow."

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Coric usually loses that kind of match; of course, so does Milos.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Zverev takes the title in straight sets.

Another finals loss for Felix, 0-6 now. And still hasn't even won a set in a final, 0-12.

Tournament in the exact same place this coming week. We'll see what he can do.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Pretty much a stress free win for Sascha, 3 and 3. Felix looked competitive but never threatening.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Coric got the first set breaker to 5-2 and then lost five straight points to blow the set. Went quietly in the second set. Great win on home turf of Rublev.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Gerasimov, beating Felix at Felix's game all afternoon, serves for the match at 6-5 and blows it. Doubt he gets a second chance.

Fellix takes the third set breaker, but another messy set. Looked great some times, looked decidedly un-clutch at other times, too many of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: WaW and Tuggy

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Gerasimov, beating Felix at Felix's game all afternoon, serves for the match at 6-5 and blows it. Doubt he gets a second chance.

Fellix takes the third set breaker, but another messy set. Looked great some times, looked decidedly un-clutch at other times, too many of them.

I thought he was off for most of the match. Problem with FAA is he has all of these great raw weapons but no discipline. He comes out super aggressive and aiming for lines on every point, despite the fact that he's more athletic and faster than 95% of his opponents and is more than capable of grinding out points when his shot-making is off. Gael Monfils has made a career out of doing this as soon as he starts to miss often.

Unfortunately, Felix is the only player in the top 50 with mickey mouse junior coaches who have no idea what they're doing. We'll probably see Felix truly break out by playing a much more refined and rounded, all-court game, making the best use of all of his major weapons (not just 1st serve and forehand), as soon as he gets a real coach. Hopefully that's this off-season, but I have a bad feeling he won't make that change until next off-season.

Reactions: Tuggy and kihei

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Pfff, i really wanted to see Shapovalov vs Sinner, not this time.

Shapo was straight garbage today, and all because of the serve. 60% FSPW, 38% on second serves, 13 doubles. So bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad