OT: All-Purpose Sports Thread IV - EDWIN BAT DROP EDITION (NFL, MLB, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Not a choke unless you think going to the World Series was a given, which it wasn't.

Not a choke in a grand scheme of things, but it was definitively a choke in this game. What were they? 0 for 10 with runners in scoring position?

Buh bye Toronto.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Of course it's a choke

They were in a great position everytime and they couldn't get it done

I mean I'll give KC plenty of credit, they were built for playoff baseball and it showed but a team like the Blue Jays, with that kind of offense, performing like they did is a choke for the ages

But talking about choking brings up painful memories for all of us so many posters like to say it wasn't a choke, it was just the other team being better

Makes it easier to take the loss. I can't blame them, I mean we are all here because we love one of the greatest underperfomers in the NHL.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Of course it's a choke

They were in a great position everytime and they couldn't get it done

I mean I'll give KC plenty of credit, they were built for playoff baseball and it showed but a team like the Blue Jays, with that kind of offense, performing like they did is a choke for the ages

But talking about choking brings up painful memories for all of us so many posters like to say it wasn't a choke, it was just the other team being better

Makes it easier to take the loss. I can't blame them, I mean we are all here because we love one of the greatest underperfomers in the NHL.

No offense but you have to be the most miserable poster in the world. You are the living embodiment of Eeyore. You take no enjoyment from sports whatsoever. This isn't a personal attack more of a reflection on how you seem to revel in misery.

This was not a choke. This was the Jays losing to the best team in the AL. The Royals had the better bullpen and it showed in this series.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
This team came back from 0-2 against the Texas Rangers. They are anything but chokers. Having said that, the way they lost this last game was definitely a gut punch of major proportions.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
No offense but you have to be the most miserable poster in the world. You are the living embodiment of Eeyore. You take no enjoyment from sports whatsoever. This isn't a personal attack more of a reflection on how you seem to revel in misery.

This was not a choke. This was the Jays losing to the best team in the AL. The Royals had the better bullpen and it showed in this series.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Speaking of choking.

I remember back in high school I was dating this girl, and her mom invited me for dinner. They were making steaks and were a really rich white family, so of course I said yes.

Anyways, I get my steak, and my gf's mom starts cutting up my gf's steak, and I ask her what's she's doing.

She says, "She doesn't like to have the fat on her steak because she sometimes chokes on it"

And without thinking I say, "She never chokes with me."

Then I turn white because I realized what I said and to whom. But her mom laughed and my gf was really mad, but yay good times. She had nice boobs

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I was at Maclarens tonight and i swear that i saw over 20 people with the exact same brand new Jays cap.

Bloody bandwagoners. And im not saying that I was a Jays fan before it was cool, I can't stand baseball :P

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Speaking of choking.

I remember back in high school I was dating this girl, and her mom invited me for dinner. They were making steaks and were a really rich white family, so of course I said yes.

Anyways, I get my steak, and my gf's mom starts cutting up my gf's steak, and I ask her what's she's doing.

She says, "She doesn't like to have the fat on her steak because she sometimes chokes on it"

And without thinking I say, "She never chokes with me."

Then I turn white because I realized what I said and to whom. But her mom laughed and my gf was really mad, but yay good times. She had nice boobs

Great story! My favourite part was the boobs :)

I was at Maclarens tonight and i swear that i saw over 20 people with the exact same brand new Jays cap.

Bloody bandwagoners. And im not saying that I was a Jays fan before it was cool, I can't stand baseball :P

Embrace the bandwagon, the team and fanbase earned it. Rathger than be pissed, I enjoyed the influx of fans when we have made our various playoff pushes. All eyes and support has turned to us a few times over the years as Canada's last team standing.

And lets be honest, the jays caps/jerseys are one of the sweetest logos and colours in all of major sports. An excuse to buy one living in a different city, let alone T.O. is well met by me at least.

Word.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Embrace the bandwagon, the team and fanbase earned it. Rathger than be pissed, I enjoyed the influx of fans when we have made our various playoff pushes. All eyes and support has turned to us a few times over the years as Canada's last team standing.

I'd agree. Isn't being annoyed by bandwagoners kind of like with hipsters/gentrification/etc, you're actually annoyed because you know you're one yourself? Whenever a team I cheer for gets more notice/support because of doing well I find it rather agreeable.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
All I know is, in 85 we lost to KC in the ALCS. In 92 and 93 we won back to back WS.

So... in '15 we lost to KC in the ALCS.... '22 and '23 championships ahead? :D:D

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
This team didn't choke. We simply got beat, and couldn't convert when we needed to. Ya the 9th inning killed me (HELLO, THAT'S WHAT THE SUICIDE SQUEEZE WAS INVENTED FOR), but it's not like we rolled over in game 5 or got swept. The Texas series proves this. Basically, what Choco said.

KC's bullpen was better. That's the way it goes. Good starting pitching only usually gets you to 7 innings, and we couldn't lean on Sanchez and Osuna 24/7.. eventually they were due for a not-so-stellar performance. The Cecil injury really thinned our options. AA has a few things to address this offseason (assuming he gets extended) but we should be a great team again next year.

I loved this run. The deepest into October, calendar-wise, the Jays have gone, and as a long time fan it has been such an exciting year. Sad they lost, but proud of them nonetheless. So much fun this summer.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I'd agree. Isn't being annoyed by bandwagoners kind of like with hipsters/gentrification/etc, you're actually annoyed because you know you're one yourself? Whenever a team I cheer for gets more notice/support because of doing well I find it rather agreeable.

It doesn't anger me, i just find it amusing :) It was literally the exact same hat. The exact same one, as if that hat store in Rideau only sold one hat :P

I just don't get the mentality, caring about something because its the popular thing to do. I like a thing or I don't. I guess im weird.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
It doesn't anger me, i just find it amusing :) It was literally the exact same hat. The exact same one, as if that hat store in Rideau only sold one hat :P

I just don't get the mentality, caring about something because its the popular thing to do. I like a thing or I don't. I guess im weird.

Is it so weird to be exposed to something new then discover you enjoy it? I've been a die hard Jays fan for most of my life and my mother hated baseball, couldn't understand what I saw in it. "They're all fat and it's boring". She got swept up in the hype and watched a few games with me and got really into it after she started understanding the game. By the end she learned that she likes baseball. I imagine that's the case for a lot of Canadians.

New fans for things are important. Everyone is a bandwagoner at the beginning.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

It is the feeling of being part of something bigger. A feeling of community, so to speak, that we are all fighting for the same cause. And the partying and cheering in a crowd.. Releases tons of dopamine, etc.

For the Jays, patriotism becomes a big factor. That's why when the Olympics roll around, everyone becomes a huge fan of rowing, diving, snowboard cross... anything that Canadians are good at. Then it goes away until the next opportunity to jump on board happens.

That's what being swept up in the hype is all about. I laugh at all the new hats too, but it does not incense me. I'm used to being a Sens fan ffs, where I want to high 5 anyone wearing Sens swag and say right on brother.

Last edited:

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
In a time where Canadians were ripping each other's heads off, this Jays postseason was where everyone from coast to coast were buying into. It was pretty special.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
In a time where Canadians were ripping each other's heads off, this Jays postseason was where everyone from coast to coast were buying into. It was pretty special.

I got to agree it was something where everyone could bond together about. Always been a fan of the sport and loved watching the playoffs.

Grew up a Braves fan but always rooted for Toronto in the AL.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Quick question.. on the last out of the 9th when they had Donaldson at bat.. why didn't they put in Bautista instead? He was hot all game

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Is this a joke?

serious question. Bautista had 2 homers in the game. I understand that Donaldson is in discussion for MVP but you go with the hot hand in a doe or die moment imo. Just a simple question. You dont like it then ignore it. I dont give a ****

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad