OT: All-Purpose Sports Thread IV - EDWIN BAT DROP EDITION (NFL, MLB, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Dickey to the Braves

Good luck to him was always a professional in his time in TO. Ate up a lot of good innings over the past 2 years for them.

The way the rotation was set up for next year, he would never be signed here.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

I'm hearing Edwin wants 5x25 mill for his next deal.

Would you do it? The answer is yes.

You try to get him to go down to 4 years but ultimately if that's what it takes to sign him, I think you have to do it.

Especially if they are losing Bautista too. That's a lot of runs to replace.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I get the sense the jays feel the same. Bautista may be the consolation prize.

I think most people would want EE over Bautista

100% without question this is the case.

Nice to see Dickey get another go with a new team too. He won't have to face as many power house hitters in the NL.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I bet it's not the dolalr amount, but the term that the Jays don't want to pay. I have no issue with 25, but 5 years is worrisome

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I bet it's not the dolalr amount, but the term that the Jays don't want to pay. I have no issue with 25, but 5 years is worrisome

He's turning 34 in January, so he is indeed getting on. But he's a power hitter, not a centre fielder. He could still have some very good years in him.

There is no salary cap in baseball. So what if you have to overpay for a hitter in 4 years. The 3 straight seasons of sellouts will offset it. Make it so, Ed Rogers.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
He's turning 34 in January, so he is indeed getting on. But he's a power hitter, not a centre fielder. He could still have some very good years in him.

There is no salary cap in baseball. So what if you have to overpay for a hitter in 4 years. The 3 straight seasons of sellouts will offset it. Make it so, Ed Rogers.

Yeah I wouldn't be upset, but if we could go 4 year, 100M I think everyone wins.

Including me, who just bought a damn Edwin jersey AND a parrot!

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Yeah I wouldn't be upset, but if we could go 4 year, 100M I think everyone wins.

Including me, who just bought a damn Edwin jersey AND a parrot!

272b82c92c10ec2d9bde7406edb3077811b29ef205a7c5432a51f77c0665f840.jpg

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
They should still take a run at EE IMO. Morales seems to be a DH only? 11 per is not huge.

I'm hearing (Toronto radio, Fan590) that the Jays are looking at Fowler and Sportsnet is reporting they are also in discussions with Reddick. An Upton-Fowler-Reddick outfield would be an incredible upgrade and mean that Pillar could be moved, likely for bullpen help if Cecil does go (Seattle allegedly interested). Jays could bring Colabello back next year on the cheap and platoon him at first with Smoak. Definitely giving up some HR's but it would present a much more balanced line-up. And if they were only able to land one of Fowler or Reddick (one a switch hitter, the other a lefty) we could see more of Carrera in left field.

As much as I'd like to see EE back, I'd much prefer to see the Jays pay Fowler and/or Reddick and offer them term.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'm hearing (Toronto radio, Fan590) that the Jays are looking at Fowler and Sportsnet is reporting they are also in discussions with Reddick. An Upton-Fowler-Reddick outfield would be an incredible upgrade and mean that Pillar could be moved, likely for bullpen help if Cecil does go (Seattle allegedly interested). Jays could bring Colabello back next year on the cheap and platoon him at first with Smoak. Definitely giving up some HR's but it would present a much more balanced line-up. And if they were only able to land one of Fowler or Reddick (one a switch hitter, the other a lefty) we could see more of Carrera in left field.

As much as I'd like to see EE back, I'd much prefer to see the Jays pay Fowler and/or Reddick and offer them term.
I wouldn't pin my hopes on a Cola-Smoak duo at 1B. Cola was pretty bad in 2016, including in AAA. Maybe the PED stuff affected him, or maybe he was just lucky in 2015?

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
I wouldn't pin my hopes on a Cola-Smoak duo at 1B. Cola was pretty bad in 2016, including in AAA. Maybe the PED stuff affected him, or maybe he was just lucky in 2015?

Agree re. Colabello - not really a "hope" though, more of a demonstration that there are options beyond EE that could work short-term, because I have to believe that two years from now Tellez is at first and tearing it up. Smoak + someone to platoon with is a place holder for him. (Or maybe a bigger 1-2 year deal for an aging player with Smoak there to provide D?).

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Agree re. Colabello - not really a "hope" though, more of a demonstration that there are options beyond EE that could work short-term, because I have to believe that two years from now Tellez is at first and tearing it up. Smoak + someone to platoon with is a place holder for him. (Or maybe a bigger 1-2 year deal for an aging player with Smoak there to provide D?).
I'd go after Brandon Moss. Can play 1B (and apparently some OF), can mash RHP (one of our weaknesses), and might not be all that expensive.

Sign him + Reddick and a couple of relievers, and I'm happy with the off-season. This Gurriel signing has been a nice surprise too.

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
I'd go after Brandon Moss. Can play 1B (and apparently some OF), can mash RHP (one of our weaknesses), and might not be all that expensive.

Sign him + Reddick and a couple of relievers, and I'm happy with the off-season. This Gurriel signing has been a nice surprise too.

What about Eric Thames? Absolutely tore it up in Korea the last few seasons, former Jay, has something to prove. I like him over Moss based on K's alone - Moss would definitely bring some pop, but his 140+ K's last year in 120-something games ... I guess he wouldn't be out of place with the 2016 Jays! :) Thames has also player OF and 1B. VERY unlikely his success in Korea translates into similar numbers in MLB, but if he could put up 20HRs, and keep the SOs down he'd be a decent addition.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
What about Eric Thames? Absolutely tore it up in Korea the last few seasons, former Jay, has something to prove. I like him over Moss based on K's alone - Moss would definitely bring some pop, but his 140+ K's last year in 120-something games ... I guess he wouldn't be out of place with the 2016 Jays! :) Thames has also player OF and 1B. VERY unlikely his success in Korea translates into similar numbers in MLB, but if he could put up 20HRs, and keep the SOs down he'd be a decent addition.
I was big on Thames back when he used to compete with Snider for an OF spot! It certainly is an intriguing proposition. Seems there's more and more Korean position players making the move to MLB, so maybe the numbers do translate to some extent these days. As usual, it all depends on how much it would cost to take that chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad