Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v13.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

scipio

Apr 21, 2015
Zürich
Pius Suter with two assists in tonight's win in the Swiss cup against 2nd tier club SC Langenthal (second video in this link).

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Covid numbers in Switzerland are in free fall but Lugano is in quarantine again because of "several" covid infections. This means Kurashev won't play again until december 11th. Has 0 goals and 8 assists in 12 games.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Covid numbers in Switzerland are in free fall but Lugano is in quarantine again because of "several" covid infections. This means Kurashev won't play again until december 11th. Has 0 goals and 8 assists in 12 games.

Same for Suter's ZSC Lions. In quarantine all over again because of 3 covid cases (Kruger might be among them). No games until december 11th.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Surprising how few players in the mix are NHL drafted. No wonder the Hawks keep finding European RFAs and lower round draft picks there. Seems young Czech players may be under scouted.

Some nationalities are just more popular than others...Swiss team won't have a single drafted player on the roster:laugh:
We might have some weak years there but at least Knak should have been drafted though (and not even late). Also the reason why Kurashev was drafted way too late. I think the Blackhawks are one of the teams a bit less worried about nationalities.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Some nationalities are just more popular than others...Swiss team won't have a single drafted player on the roster:laugh:
We might have some weak years there but at least Knak should have been drafted though (and not even late). Also the reason why Kurashev was drafted way too late. I think the Blackhawks are one of the teams a bit less worried about nationalities.

I don't think it's that the Hawks are less worried about nationalities, I think they spend more money on scouting in Europe looking for value in under scouted areas.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I don't think it's that the Hawks are less worried about nationalities, I think they spend more money on scouting in Europe looking for value in under scouted areas.

This and it's also a by-product of our Cups run. When you're picking (near) last and/or don't have picks, you try other conduits. Euro players have worked out very well for us. No reason to stop now.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

That's only part of it though...Kurashev was drafted out of the QMJHL and there's literally 0 reason I think of why he fell this far except nationalities. Many teams are afraid of Swiss or Russian born players. Guess Czechs aren't popular either.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That's only part of it though...Kurashev was drafted out of the QMJHL and there's literally 0 reason I think of why he fell this far except nationalities. Many teams are afraid of Swiss or Russian born players. Guess Czechs aren't popular either.

Wait you are claiming he fell due to his nationality?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

I'd imagine it has more to do with the fact he didn't really have as big a jump in production as you might expect a late-birth year to have in their 2nd season in the CHL. He had a really good rookie year in the Q, followed by a good but not great sophomore season. From what I can recall from the reports I read after CHI drafted him, the common points seemed to be that he was quite talented but his consistency/next level were question marks.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
He played on an absolutely awful QMJHL team that, in hindsight, seemed to have brought down his point totals and, at the time, made scouts question if he was only getting the amount of points that he got due to the minutes he was getting because who else would get them on that roster.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

Russians, yeah, because of the cultural differences and the KHL is a pretty darn good league. Other countries? I don't buy it. Sure, there's a Canadian and Merikan bias, just like the old size bias, but nothing like the degree you think.

~80+% of what you're calling nationality bias is actually ignorance (e.g. insufficient and/or incompetent scouting).

Reactions: Pez68 and Mrfenn92
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot